Help with my first conversion kit.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I can’t tell from the photos what controller this kit is using, but many controllers are dual voltage ie 36/48 volt.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Woosh are similar to Kirby.
It is interesting how perceptions can vary. I have nothing but respect for Woosh while Kirby is more like a joke company to me.
I see why what is sold by Woosh is so expensive, while I have no idea why Kirby is asking so much.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi All

I'm wanting to buy a conversion kit to fit to an old steel bike I have. I have a 4 mile commute to work with no hills. I'm in the UK and hold a full car and motorcycle licence. Is the kit in the link below worth buying? I'm new to electric conversion but not new to cycling, I'm an area co ordinator for a worldwide cycling community but our forum does not have an electric section.

This is the kit I have found to be, I think, best suited for me:

https://kirbebike.com/products/250w-ebike-conversion-kit?variant=43365620678809

I also have a few questions:

1. As I'm used to riding a Yamaha R1 and KTM 690 Duke can I go for a larger 750w motor or similar and be legal in the UK?
2. If I buy the kit above should I buy it without a battery and buy a 48v battery seperately? If so where can I buy such a battery in the UK?

Thanks in advance :)

Trebz
You should buy the kit according to your needs, not what's available or what's on YouTube. The most important things are your weight, the hills that you want to climb and how far you want to go.

Your brakes might be adequate for non-assisted riding, but will be inadequate when you fit a motor unless you're less than 80 kg, and definitely inadequate if you want to assistance above 15 mph. The energy you need to dissipate goes up with the square of your speed, so to go up from an average of 10 mph to 14 mph, you need double the braking, four times the braking at 20 mph, and ten times the braking at 30 mph.

My advice is that you should buy a kit that has a standard Hailong type battery, standard controller and LCD, and other standard parts so that you can easily get replacements in the future. Unfortunately, many sellers don't sell a lot of kits and fashions change, so when you need spares a couple of years down the road, they don't have them. You should only by a kit that's specific to a seller if it has something that you specifically need.

If you're heavy (95kg plus), a 48v system would be better than 36v.

It's OK to buy stuff from China. Many of us have been doing it for many years without problems. There are many resellers in the UK, who can sell the stuff cheaper than you can buy the stuff from China, so you only need to buy stuff from China if you need something to be exactly how you want it.

Greenlance is a good seller of batteries in the UK, with very good prices.

If you want a ready made kit from the UK, Woosh ones are a good price and you get good customer service and guarantee, otherwise Yosepower or any of the plethora on Ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc.

The Kirbebike kit is fairly standard apart from the battery. It has the desirable KT controller that has a very nice pedal assist function. If your bike has a non-cartridge bottom bracket, the pedal sensor won't fit, and, even if you have a cartridge one, there might not be enough room for it. You need to check the gap between the back of the pedal arm and the BB. If you need a couple of extra mm, you can grind it off the back of the pedal arm to create more space.

Last edited:
Reactions: pip48

TrebzUK

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2019
Ok I think I know where I'm going now. I'm starting to lean more towards buying the parts I need individually instead of buying a kit as I don't want peddle assist, kit brake levers, Peddle Assist sensor etc.

What I believe I need is as follows:

Front wheel with 250w motor - Unable to find a wheel only sale on Ebay
Handlebar throttle unit - Throttle
Controller - Controller and LCD
48v battery and mount kit - Greenlance 48v
Front and rear light kit - Light Kit

I have used Ebay just for reference. I still obviously need help as I'm new to this and genuinely still don't know what to do or what to buy. Is this list worth buying? Bearing in mind Iv'e not been able to find a 250w front wheel unit.

Can anyone provide me with a quick list of things I should buy for a throttle only kit?

Or should I just buy this off Ebay and buy the battery listed above from Greenlance?: Front wheel kit

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Just to let you now, what you are trying to build would be an illegal moped. At least at this moment.

Also out of my own experience I can tell you, using only throttle is very uncomfortable in long run. I find PAS far more comfortable and natural.

Reactions: pip48

TrebzUK

Jul 31, 2019
Just to let you now, what you are trying to build would be an illegal moped. At least at this moment.

Also out of my own experience I can tell you, using only throttle is very uncomfortable in long run. I find PAS far more comfortable and natural.
Ok, so I guess the addition of peddle assist would make it legal? I think if that's the case I should buy a full kit and add the peddle assist. But again I'm not sure if I'm right im my thinking.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I think you should understand the advantages and disadvantages of front wheel versus rear wheel drive before making your decision.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Ok, so I guess the addition of peddle assist would make it legal? I think if that's the case I should buy a full kit and add the peddle assist. But again I'm not sure if I'm right im my thinking.
First time, buy a kit including everything except perhaps the battery. Someone else has checked the bits all work together, so you don't need to worry about that.

First time, stay legal, then you'll know what a legal bike can do. It's 4 miles and flat! Don't overthink it!

Reactions: One_Box and TrebzUK

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I think whole kit is the safest option especially for somebody who is new to this subject.

Throttle is a very confusing subject. There are many mixed messages from different sources. Long story short - you might assume twist and go throttles are illegal.

You must pedal for EAPC to provide assistance.

Last edited:

TrebzUK

Jul 31, 2019
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the advice ;-)

I'm going to buy the following:

Front wheel kit with no battery.

48v Battery

Fingers crossed i'll be ok. They are both UK sellers so it should be fine.

:)

I'll try and up date this post with a picture of the kit when it's fitted along with a little report.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Just to let you now this kit is illegal. They write "PLEASE NOTE THIS KIT IS FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY"

... which is also untrue. This kit is illegal on road and off-road. I would stay away from Kirby if I were you.

TrebzUK

Jul 31, 2019
Heheheheh I've been looking at this for weeks before posting here and I still don't know what to buy hehe. If the kit I planned to buy is illegal then so are the ones from Whoosh which will cost me £599. Every kit on Ebay is surely illegal too as they all look the same and have the same components.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and just use my old tired legs to get to work and take a pack of wet wipes to freshen up when I get there hehe

I wouldn't mind so much but I have a KTM 690 Duke in my garage along with around 10 old school mountain bikes (I'm a Retrobike guy). My car was written off four months ago and I've been quite happy using the push bike again for my commute so I thought i'd go electric and save the planet when I start my new job which is further from home.

All I want for Christmas is.... a UK legal front wheen 250w electric kit heheheh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Can I make it easier for you? Just to simplify things assume all kits (EDIT: almost all) sold by Kirby are illegal. Assume all its sold by Woosh are legal. Some of its sold by Yose are legal, some are illegal.

You can get legal it from Yose for £360 that would perfectly meet your needs. It is not bad, isn't it?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

TrebzUK

Jul 31, 2019
Can I make it easier for you? Just to simplify things assume all kits sold by Kirby are illegal. Assume all its sold by Woosh are legal. Some of its sold by Yose are legal, some are illegal.

You can get legal it from Yose for £360 that would perfectly meet your needs. It is not bad, isn't it?
Ok, all noted.

I just checked the component list, comparing Kirby to Woosh. They look identical. Can I just quickly ask, what am I missing?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Ok, all noted.

I just checked the component list, comparing Kirby to Woosh. They look identical. Can I just quickly ask, what am I missing?
Quick look - speed is not limited to 25m/h.
Andy Kirby is a Youtuber, who teamed up with Chinese guy and started to sell kits. If you like to do research, check Youtube.

Check how this guy is riding his moped. Legality is not high on his priority list.

Good thing is, he is probably just a front house and strings are pulled by Chinese guy. They miss sell their products though and lie to customers. It is funny how it works in UK. It is legal to sell bike like that, it is legal for you to buy, but it is illegal for you to use. Buyers beware.

I didn't look at any specific Yose kit. £360 is a general price tag for their its. What is your wheel size? 26"?

TrebzUK

Jul 31, 2019
Yes 26" 1988 Specialized Rockhopper but I will be fitting an updated front fork with disk brake.