Hoping to increase driver passing distance at night, I've glued front and rear reflectors to my wing mirrors.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Prevention is better - by the time you've beeped, it's too beeping late! I got sick of beeping my Hornit 120/140db, hence this solution, which is less likely to ellicit a primal response from drivers, who appear (thus far, day and night) to see it as an indication of an obstacle, to make the same amount of room for my bike as they would normally, plus the length of this Oxford lollipop sticking out from my right handlebar, which in total is at least 1.5m (thus far) as suggested by the Highway Code changes, which makes a lovely change.

Now one of my lollipops is quick release! I never liked that Phillips headed bolt anyway, prefer easy tool-less adjustments while riding. It was easy adjustment already once set (can be easily turned back, up, down, forwards, tilted), but there's always room for improvement. Used a Sharpie to colour the baking soda + superglue holding the Planet X light mount secure.

Adding another to my other handlebar end, would really put the cat among the pigeons! (there is no evil icon) I'll do it if they don't behave.

It's difficult to tighten standard GoPro bolts enough, because the alloy extensions are very rigid, hence the Phillips-headed bolt (I don't have a hex bolt of the right size). I scavenged the quick release bolt from the dead escooter I found:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's more convenient to control the Oxford lollipop's ease of turn when impacted by obstacles using this clasp bolt, from an old cheapo jaw-type clamp for lights. Of course it'd be safer for a longer extension to be mounted to the frame instead of the handlebars, like @WheezyRider 's, to avoid the handlebar turning risk when the lollipop collides with objects, but that not an easy option on my bike. I want just enough lollipop turn resistance to overcome air resistance while cycling, which is easier to achieve with this clasp because it's shorter and can lock at a greater variety of angles, providing finer control of pressure. I'll saw the bolt to size.

If this doesn't work satisfactorily for ease of lollipop turn, I might try connecting the GoPro arm and lollipop using a spring...

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've just returned from a long cycle ride, and I'm pleased to report that the side arm safety reflector projecting out from my right hand side handlebar grip, continues to work wonderfully, keeping all vehicles a good distance away from me when passing.

I've finally got around to taking a couple of night pics. The horizontal light furthest top right, is on it's lowest setting because it was a long ride. My phone camera can't seem to expose correctly in bright red light, but here's how my bike looks without flash:

...and below is a photo with flash - presumably this is similar to what driver's see, when I'm in their crosshairs. IMHO, this was well worth making.

BTW, these lightweight neoprene overshoes (I got them mega cheap <£5) did a surprisingly good job of keeping my feet warm tonight. I really didn't expect these to have any effect at all. Normally the soles of my feet would be cramping horribly in the cold so badly, I have to dismount and walk the bike for awhile, to stretch them out:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Seeing this approaching car mounting the pavement to his left on this narrow road, because I now look so wide from the front, was immensely satisfying :)

Snapshot/screengrab from action camera video, no flash, from further away. Only one of my two normal brightness rear flashers is actually visible in this image. When illuminated by car headlights, the round red reflector on the end of the handlebar safety arm, makes my bike look a bit wider than this. I haven't experienced a single close pass since fitting this contraption:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just letting everyone know that GurneySiderating™ Illumimakers™ are available to order now for the usual price of a £Million cash each (plus VAT, parts, labour and postage)...because you can't put a price on safety.

Here is my advert and the satisfying moment a car mounted the pavement to avoid The GurneySiderating™ Illumimaker™! :D

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I wonder if you'd be better wearing a bright yellow jacket, with the words CCTV FRONT AND REAR in reflective lettering across the back.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wonder if you'd be better wearing a bright yellow jacket, with the words CCTV FRONT AND REAR in reflective lettering across the back.
The bastards have ignored everything I've tried before, including my being clad head to heel in bright reflective yellow and displaying mad levels of lighting and Passpixies. GurneySiderating™ Illumimakers™ work, yours for only £Million, stuffed suitcases full of cash only. You mustn't put a price on safety Andy. Think of your budgies.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
After reading about the importance of associating products with influencers, my advert now features the late great Ray Liotta, adding much needed star quality:

pudding835

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2022
Seeing this approaching car mounting the pavement to his left on this narrow road, because I now look so wide from the front, was immensely satisfying :)
Nice result.

What does it look like from the front? I thought the lights and reflectors only point backwards but the driver must have seen something from the other side.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Nice result.

What does it look like from the front? I thought the lights and reflectors only point backwards but the driver must have seen something from the other side.
Every time I've attempted to photograph the front of my bike at night: Twin blinding 1800LM headlights (plus another 70lux light in the fork) and little else was visible to the camera. However, despite my efforts, bright lights never made a difference to their passing disance at the front. I'm sure when illuminated at the front by that car's headlight, the white reflector which the Oxford safety arm has on it's other side, would have shone very brightly, indicating something to avoid, forcing the car to mount the pavement :D:D:D I'll try at some point to take a night photo of the bike from the front, illuminated by a bright light. Also, I have a 6V 3W Bafang headlight mounted to the handlebar pointed backwards at me, and that night I was wearing a red jacket plus yellow hiviz reflective vest. Overall, hard to miss seeing I should imagine. If the car hadn't mounted the pavement in such an unexpected and extremely satisfying manner, I would have stopped and possibly folded the Oxford inwards, but it knocks away easily without being damaged if left extended, and too little force is required to knock it away to have any effect upon the bike's steering - that's something I've tested by running it into railings, road signs and bushes quite a bit.

Last edited:

pudding835

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2022
I'm sure when illuminated at the front by that car's headlight, the white reflector which the Oxford safety arm has on it's other side, would have shone very brightly, indicating something to avoid, forcing the car to mount the pavement :D:D:D
Oh, I didn't know it had reflectors on both sides. I've only seen photos of the red reflector. Good to know

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Oh, I didn't know it had reflectors on both sides. I've only seen photos of the red reflector. Good to know
My other Oxford is attached low on the rear reack, and the white reflector on that would have been illuminated too. The Oxford safety reflector arm itself is quite well made, or the one I bought from Amazon is - the plastic is a little flexible but strong, not brittle. After mounting the one on the rear rack, I discovered it wouldn't stay put at horizontal, and was swept backwards by drag... which was easily fixed by tightening the arm mount using a small jubilee clip. The one on the back didn't make any significant difference - it only extends 33cm out from the edge of the rack.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
After reading about the importance of associating products with influencers, my advert now features the late great Ray Liotta, adding much needed star quality:

Naaa, he thought there was a f***ing lighthouse coming towards him lol

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Naaa, he thought there was a f***ing lighthouse coming towards him lol
I cycle at night on roads a lot, I do wish simply having very bright lights had caused cars approaching on narrow streets to mount pavements, but sadly that never happened until... The GuerneySiderating™ Illumimaker™ ! I've been swamped with orders, so like any sensible person I've employed gnomes for my new assembly line (built by other smaller gnomes) and will immediately double my selling price to £2Million each (plus snacks), because you can't put a price on safety. The advertisement video will be updated shortly. Soon I may have sold enough GuerneySiderating Illumimakers™ to buy a small remote desert island, where a single totally straight wide road will be built across the middle by larger gnomes, where I will finally cycle freely back and forth alone, safe from other vehicles. Mind you, that's what cycling is like for me now! Thanks to my new and awesome GuerneySiderating Illumimaker™! Would you like to order one or a pair today? We now accept Klarna. Volume discounts are available, if ordered by phone whispered at very low volume, particularly weird convoluted and unreadable terms and conditions apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnocyprus

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This 21700 inexpensive headlight and powerbank looks potentially useful - I'm in the market for a powerbank (have enough lights lol), and it's handy if a powerbank has a decent torch. I assume it's 21700 cell(s) could be easily replaced. Making them orange and mounting either side of my handlebar stem could be OTT...

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This is how the GuerneySiderating™ Illumimaker™ looks in use at night. Works a treat. Drivers stay the heck away from it and me. On narrow roads I simply fold it in, or out in front. Well worth assembling.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I hope you've a fireproof bag to charge it in. Tenner for such a lamp seems too cheap to be fully tested, and i dont think its ever seen a kite mark.

Just to be on the safe side :) Not implying theres any problems with it, but just to put caution first.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I hope you've a fireproof bag to charge it in. Tenner for such a lamp seems too cheap to be fully tested, and i dont think its ever seen a kite mark.

Just to be on the safe side :) Not implying theres any problems with it, but just to put caution first.
Are you talking about this one? Less than a fiver. We could ask if @Nealh's has blown up. Mine is flame free so far.

Last edited: