Hoping to increase driver passing distance at night, I've glued front and rear reflectors to my wing mirrors.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
@trevor brooker - do drivers mis-identify your flashing LEDs as indicators? If not, I may set mine flashing, after attaching them to my end-bar mirrors.
No I have white LEDs at the front & red LEDs at the back (to be seen or noticed)
the orange LED indicators are to the outside of those other LEDs
during daylight I never use indicators - just stick my arm out
but at night just before using the indicators I will switch the other LEDs off so that it's not confusing to other traffic, who will see my central rear (or front) light & then a yellow indicator to the side flashing.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
No I have white LEDs at the front & red LEDs at the back (to be seen or noticed)
the orange LED indicators are to the outside of those other LEDs
during daylight I never use indicators - just stick my arm out
but at night just before using the indicators I will switch the other LEDs off so that it's not confusing to other traffic, who will see my central rear (or front) light & then a yellow indicator to the side flashing.
Now I'm trying to imagine what your bike looks like. Switching other lights off to make your yellow side indicators more noticeable, is an excellent precaution. I'll have to find more room on the handlebar for another switch, if I want indicators. I miss indicators... they came in very handy years ago, when I had a motorcycle.

Well, the Araldite has set. While trying to angle the flasher mount using very tight zipties, the Araldite holding the reflector to the mirror back broke - the mirror back is quite soft, Araldite works better with hard close fitting surfaces which don't change shape too much under force, such happens when struggling trying to tighten zipties to adjust the orientatio of a flashing light mount, to an impossible angle. Still, it was easier to fettle the mount on with the reflector off the bike.

Araldite didn't have much surface area to stick - the mount is only 8mm wide, so is the reflector edge, and at 90 degrees rotation, that's a tiny and wholly inadequate square area... so I increased the surface area using some old bits I found at the bottom of a drawer: a thick rubber washer from something, was Arandited inside a nylon tube end from an old chair, table or who knows what from long long ago... Then filed down to form an angle so the light is pointed at traffic viewing from behind the bike, and steel washer (might not be stainless :eek:) was Araldited to the mount...

It aint pretty!

..and Frankenstein's plastic (for the reflector's edge) was Araldited to that - I have no clamps for that angle, pressed together using a very tightly tightened tiny ziptie looped through one o fthe holes, and left to gravity and time to set.

...and finally my right hand side red constant running light is firmly Araldited on - I increased the 8mm edge of the reflector using Araldited together ziptie bits stacked up because, every extra bit of surface area helps Araldite.

It feels pretty sturdy, but for extra security, there is invisible nylon thread also holding it on, in case the Araldite breaks. Which it may well might! Who am I kidding? It's gonna break!

This'll do for now, I'll see what the rozzers make of it - "The darn thing is pointed backwards! Look, it's not even flashing! It isn't visible from the front occifer!" Is what I'll tell them.

Last edited:

Chainmale

Pedelecer
May 13, 2020
I'm not sure you need to worry too much about the legalities of additional lights. Many trucks have unlawful multi coloured (often blue) lights displayed which seem to be routinely ignored.
Perhaps you should ask for some sponsorship from Coca-Cola- you could provide an environmental friendly alternative to their Christmas truck !

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm not sure you need to worry too much about the legalities of additional lights. Many trucks have unlawful multi coloured (often blue) lights displayed which seem to be routinely ignored.
Perhaps you should ask for some sponsorship from Coca-Cola- you could provide an environmental friendly alternative to their Christmas truck !
I will of course attempt to bribe my way out using Coca-Cola, and if that didn't work, the red running light is easily unclipped and I could gaffa tape over the reflectors, or tear them off dramatically on the roadside while being tasered.

It's an extremely old light. I discovered why the lens was cloudy, when I opened the light to clean it - two of the 5 LEDs had burned out. Despite that, it's still pretty bright at night, and the Araldited on doodad feels reasonably strong, but in case it breaks off, I've secured the light to the handlbar end mirror using a loose ziptie loop.

If the fuzz victimise me for trying to become a more visible cylist, I'll report back.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Now I'm trying to imagine what your bike looks like. Switching other lights off to make your yellow side indicators more noticeable, is an excellent precaution. I'll have to find more room on the handlebar for another switch, if I want indicators. I miss indicators... they came in very handy years ago, when I had a motorcycle.

Well, the Araldite has set. While trying to angle the flasher mount using very tight zipties, the Araldite holding the reflector to the mirror back broke - the mirror back is quite soft, Araldite works better with hard close fitting surfaces which don't change shape too much under force, such happens when struggling trying to tighten zipties to adjust the orientatio of a flashing light mount, to an impossible angle. Still, it was easier to fettle the mount on with the reflector off the bike.

Araldite didn't have much surface area to stick - the mount is only 8mm wide, so is the reflector edge, and at 90 degrees rotation, that's a tiny and wholly inadequate square area... so I increased the surface area using some old bits I found at the bottom of a drawer: a thick rubber washer from something, was Arandited inside a nylon tube end from an old chair, table or who knows what from long long ago... Then filed down to form an angle so the light is pointed at traffic viewing from behind the bike, and steel washer (might not be stainless :eek:) was Araldited to the mount...

It aint pretty!

View attachment 49598

..and Frankenstein's plastic (for the reflector's edge) was Araldited to that - I have no clamps for that angle, pressed together using a very tightly tightened tiny ziptie looped through one o fthe holes, and left to gravity and time to set.

View attachment 49597

...and finally my right hand side red constant running light is firmly Araldited on - I increased the 8mm edge of the reflector using Araldited together ziptie bits stacked up because, every extra bit of surface area helps Araldite.

View attachment 49599

It feels pretty sturdy, but for extra security, there is invisible nylon thread also holding it on, in case the Araldite breaks. Which it may well might! Who am I kidding? It's gonna break!

This'll do for now, I'll see what the rozzers make of it - "The darn thing is pointed backwards! Look, it's not even flashing! It isn't visible from the front occifer!" Is what I'll tell them.
What about suoerglue and baking soda? A couple of years back I got a suoerglue kit from a local tool shop, filler powder and bottle of glue, worked a treat, gap filling and strong. It ran out, was told when I went for more, the makers had closed down, they had bought the last of the stock, now sold out. In the last few months I've seen several YouTube videos pop up in the news feed about using Sodium bicarbonate as the filler, seems to work a treat, can be built up in layers.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What about suoerglue and baking soda? A couple of years back I got a suoerglue kit from a local tool shop, filler powder and bottle of glue, worked a treat, gap filling and strong. It ran out, was told when I went for more, the makers had closed down, they had bought the last of the stock, now sold out. In the last few months I've seen several YouTube videos pop up in the news feed about using Sodium bicarbonate as the filler, seems to work a treat, can be built up in layers.
Than you, that's very interesting indeed, and I'm sure superglue with baking soda will be useful.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Baking soda + pencil lead + superglue = even more robust material:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nice ideas using the SG & graphite for plastic repairs and even more impressed with cotton wool repairs.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
even more impressed with cotton wool repairs.
Cool! I hadn't heard of that either, looks very useful. I have oodles of broken plastic objects I could repair...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Either of the cotton wool or grapite uses could work well for lcd displays where the handle bar mount clip has broken.

I have a refractometer with a broken plastic clip, will have to try the repair method.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Various plastic items repaired with superglure and baking soda:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wow, pretty much any shape could be started quickly with superglue:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have pencils and bicarbonate of soda, and when I've bought cheapo Poundland superglue... I'm going to see how strong a joint I can make between two 0.8mm thick aluminium sheets at right angles. If strong enough, I could make a solid fully waterproof hi-viz lightweight aluminium rain cover, to velcro over my rear rack battery and mount, instead of the two "Waterproof" rucksack covers I'm using presently.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Please let us know how you get on
Something is working - out of the hundreds of cars which passed by during my 50 minute rush hour journey home, only 10 passed uncomfortably close, which is a massive difference to usual. I was allowed a LOT more room than I am accustomed to, by vehicles of all types. Drivers did a lot of skulking around behind me, looking for space to overtake. Trouble is, I haven't done anything incrementally, so don't know what worked best: Flashing and horrifying to behold 1800LM red rear light, end-bar mirrror red reflectors facing backwards, or right end-bar mirror backwards facing red constant LED running light?

I don't know what effect this little LED to my right had, if at all, but I found it's presence reassuring:

My high viz top being lit up by a front 5W headlight pointed at it from the handlebars, definitely is working to make me more visible from the front. Or was it because I have two 1800LM headlights?

Attachments

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I got a free pair of Knog led usb lights with 6 months subscription of Cycling mag. Fitted perfectly within the metalwork of my trailer.
Various solid /flashing rates etc, they have a magnetic clip that fastens on with a rubber band, charge via a usb A blade on the body, no cable needed .

Screenshot_20221207-164147.pngScreenshot_20221207-164117.pngScreenshot_20221207-164039.pngScreenshot_20221207-164000.png

Thanks, whoever posted the trick of grabbing a screenshot of an image to reduce file size. Good tip !

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I got a free pair of Knog led usb lights with 6 months subscription of Cycling mag. Fitted perfectly within the metalwork of my trailer.
Various solid /flashing rates etc, they have a magnetic clip that fastens on with a rubber band, charge via a usb A blade on the body, no cable needed .

View attachment 49722View attachment 49723View attachment 49724View attachment 49725

Thanks, whoever posted the trick of grabbing a screenshot of an image to reduce file size. Good tip !
Your trailer is a much more sensible colour than mine, which is deepest inky unhelpful at night black - I would have used it (now covered with reflective stickers) last night to haul home even more pumpkins before the frost destroys them, but that trailer in rush hour traffic is a driver's ire magnet, therefore foolishly I suffered agony instead, heaving around an extremely heavy rucksack by bike. I had planned a late night or early morning trailer haul, but the temperatures are too damned low. Until I man up a bit...

Here's a video showing how much room many drivers are now allowing my bike - it's on Vimeo, so it has to be short. There was the odd totally dense fruitcake, which no measure will keep away. It could be too early to say, but I do think something is working. They're nearly all swerving further out, before cutting back in...

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/778977076

Last edited:
Reactions: jimriley

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Your trailer is a much more sensible colour than mine, which is deepest inky unhelpful at night black - I would have used it (now covered with reflective stickers) last night to haul home even more pumpkins before the frost destroys them, but that trailer in rush hour traffic is a driver's ire magnet, therefore foolishly I suffered agony instead, heaving around an extremely heavy rucksack by bike. I had planned a late night or early morning trailer haul, but the temperatures are too damned low. Until I man up a bit...

Here's a video showing how much room many drivers are now allowing my bike - it's on Vimeo, so it has to be short. There was the odd totally dense fruitcake, which no measure will keep away. It could be too early to say, but I do think something is working. They're nearly all swerving further out, before cutting back in...

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/778977076
The front and back top bars are just pipe insulting tube, with red gaffer tape around it. Put on to cushion the chrome work on my 5ft giraffe unicycle when I was transporting it. Can't you put some reflective tape on the trailer frame.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The front and back top bars are just pipe insulting tube, with red gaffer tape around it. Put on to cushion the chrome work on my 5ft giraffe unicycle when I was transporting it. Can't you put some reflective tape on the trailer frame.
I've recently stuck oodles of (2M) red reflective on the back, (3M) orange on the sides and small green reflective patches at the corners. The trailer lights I will probably add later via a 12v converter from the ebike battery - two or three, haven't decided which yet. It's quite rare that I tow trailers by night, but around harvest time that can't be avoided.

By the way, with your pipe insulating tube, you should definitely make one of @matthewslack 's excellent GuerneyCar Deflectors, they really work!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I take a screenshot while viewing the photo full-screen, which reduces size significantly for easy emailing - saves installing yet another data-thieving app.
Every time I buy a new phone, it's double or some multiple of the megapixels of the previous - on one hand, you don't want to set lower resolution photos for the camera app, in case you get that million dollar snap of the government unzipping their human suits to reveal their true lizard forms... but you don't want humongous photos eating up your phone memory and data plan either. And emailing might not be possible in a cellphone signal blackspot, but of course screen resolution keeps growing too :rolleyes:

Can't you put some reflective tape on the trailer frame.
This tape does appear to have good adhesion on flat surfaces, but it's not terribly bendy tape, so I struggled getting it to stick around tubes. Secured with zipties, in case hot weather melts the glue... but what I really need to do sometime, is dissolve the tape adhesive with oil and use stronger and more permanent glue.

It's on sides of the trailer too. At some point, I'll cover it with white hammerite all over, then apply reflective tape on top...

Last edited:
Reactions: jimriley