Hoping to increase driver passing distance at night, I've glued front and rear reflectors to my wing mirrors.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Or wear a helmet mounted light so drivers see it when you look at them?
Your ponderings sound very familiar - I ran through various similar permutations myself.

Although I've seen cyclists doing this, unfortunately it's illegal, else I'd be at that too.

"Note that, to stay on the right side of the law, the lights must also be fitted to your bike and not your helmet. The law states explicitly they should be mounted to your bike and they cannot be higher than 1,500mm from the ground in any case."
The required front light must be bike mounted below 1.5m. As far as I can see that doesn't proscribe additional rider mounted lights, nor restrict their height.

Also doesn't make requirements for the colour of rider mounted lights, though it would seem very silly to ignore the standard colours. I guess other legislation would rule out rider mounted flashing blue lights.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The required front light must be bike mounted below 1.5m. As far as I can see that doesn't proscribe additional rider mounted lights, nor restrict their height.

Also doesn't make requirements for the colour of rider mounted lights, though it would seem very silly to ignore the standard colours. I guess other legislation would rule out rider mounted flashing blue lights.
Wow. Could I legally cover my cycling body with highly visible and driver-alarming blue flashing lights? :oops:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Wow. Could I legally cover my cycling body with highly visible and driver-alarming blue flashing lights? :oops:
As I said, I expect there is some other legislation that rules that out, though at a quick search I can't see any. Also, are pedestrians allowed such lights?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Also, are pedestrians allowed such lights?
If so, it'd be legal if I rode on pavements all aflash? If not, it'd be the tickbox next to "Flasher".

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The red acetate type approach was one I took several years ago when I used wired lights , used a front white light with the internal step down buck converter with the lens covered . I never angled mine down but left it horizontal very bright so drivers have no excuse to not notice it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The red acetate type approach was one I took several years ago when I used wired lights , used a front white light with the internal step down buck converter with the lens covered . I never angled mine down but left it horizontal very bright so drivers have no excuse to not notice it.
I might point mine horizontally in daytime, when it doesn't currently seem to have much influence over driver behaviour - it's bright enough to stand a chance of being noticed in bright daylight. If that doesn't work, I'll remove one of the two acetate sheets to increase brightness.

Works great at night :)...so far... :eek:

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Size matters not brightness!

Think about oncoming traffic - which do you notice more - a bus or a bike

So the wider you can appear the better.

Put your front lights at either end of your handlebars.

Put your rear lights on a bar attached to a rear pannier.

Yes, brighter lights are better, but bigger is best!

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I was thinking of covering the whole bike and wheels in reflective tape, the really good microprismatic type, but it sounds like it won't actually help in real life.

Wheel lights maybe, but they use button batteries. I saw one product that has fluorescent wheel rim strips with a light mounted to shine on the rims to make the strips glow.

Or wear a helmet mounted light so drivers see it when you look at them?

More practically I was thinking of taking a front light, add red film over the lens and aim it downwards to create a red pool of light at the back of the bike.
The reflective tape helps hugely to make you visible. On moving parts especially, where there is always some pointing in the right direction, and the movement itself attracts attention.

SOLAS tape is amongst the best. As used on lifesaving equipment at sea. Expensive per metre, but not many metres needed.

pudding835

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2022

pudding835

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2022
The reflective tape helps hugely to make you visible. On moving parts especially, where there is always some pointing in the right direction, and the movement itself attracts attention.

SOLAS tape is amongst the best. As used on lifesaving equipment at sea. Expensive per metre, but not many metres needed.
I know it's effective but that's when you shine a light at it directly so it's reflected back at the light source and driver's eyes The brightness falls the greater the angle, like when you drive closer and closer to a road sign.

The data sheet for Oralite VC612 is 750 cd/lux/m² at 5° entrance angle but 375 at 30° and only 120 at 45°.

120 candela is still good so I might still cover my bike and wheels, but after I've bought better lights.

pudding835

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2022
Currently looking at these lights. Fenix has removable batteries but £85 vs £53.

Or would people suggest separate lamps and batteries as a cheaper alternative?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I use three of these cheapos wired through a blade fuse to the ebike battery, which could be an option depending of what kind of battery your ebike or ebike conversion has - two on handlebars, one on the rear rack made red. I'm very pleased with them: bright beams.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Size matters not brightness!

Think about oncoming traffic - which do you notice more - a bus or a bike

So the wider you can appear the better.

Put your front lights at either end of your handlebars.

Yes, brighter lights are better, but bigger is best!
You're absolutely right. I did want to have the front lights wider apart, but positioning is limited by the thickening of my handlebar toward the middle, which sadly only the headlight clamps can accommodate - I may have another look to see if it's possible.

Good thought! The handlebar extender could be attached to the rear pannier using padding (I used cut up hosepipe to attach the light to the rear pannier, which allows it to tilt), the light attached that, then simply swivel another bright red flasher out. Two of those at the back would be quite maddening to look at, from a driver's point of view.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
microprismatic
What's needed here I think is MACROprismatic! But Dalek bodywork-like arrays of 12 inch hemispheric/semi-buckyballic blisters covered with reflective material sticking out from the frame sides, wouldn't be as aero, would add weight, impede pedalling...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I was driving a car the other day and I passed a cyclist on a road bike. I have been a lifelong cyclist so I am always on the lookout for them anyway, but I thought this light on the offside bottom of his drop handlebar was a very clever idea.

Not that I'd ever buy anything from Planet X, (the sale is always on and I don't like companies that mislead about price) but still.

pudding835

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2022
I use three of these cheapos wired through a blade fuse to the ebike battery, which could be an option depending of what kind of battery your ebike or ebike conversion has - two on handlebars, one on the rear rack made red. I'm very pleased with them: bright beams.
Nice but maybe too DIY for me. Plus I want portability to use on a regular bike as well

pudding835

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2022
light on the offside bottom of his drop handlebar was a very clever idea.
You mean to make the rider appear wider by spacing the lights further apart? Nice idea.

Maybe I could use bar ends like these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profile-Design-Boxer-Bar-End/dp/B005FENUE4

Ideally with the front part completely parallel to the handlebars to fit front lights, if they don't have lateral adjustment. And maybe put rear lights on the side arms if they pointed up like a seat post, though your arms might obscure them.

What about putting lights to point outwards for side visibility, which is something really lacking on bikes? I guess red isn't legal as it's only for the rear, so white, orange or yellow should satisfy any coppers.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was driving a car the other day and I passed a cyclist on a road bike. I have been a lifelong cyclist so I am always on the lookout for them anyway, but I thought this light on the offside bottom of his drop handlebar was a very clever idea.

Not that I'd ever buy anything from Planet X, (the sale is always on and I don't like companies that mislead about price) but still.
Thanks! That's a great idea! Despite my aversion to adding yet more USB devices to forget charging up before a ride, I've ordered one, along with some other cheap tat I've been meaning to buy from elsewhere (because it's DPD delivery only, £6.99 combined postage). Trailing wires from the ebike battery under the handgrips to end bar lights, doesn't appeal.

Even though mine is a straight handlebar, because it's a GoPro-style mount, it looks as though the following is a possibility: Fill in between the progs by sacrificing prongs from a spare GoPro extender, or fill in using superglue + baking soda and drill through... to bolt through into the right handlebar end using the same bolt the Zyfal Cyclop end bar mirror uses, or a longer bolt if required (should be a standard thread). Thus, it'll hang down horizontally. If not, I'll mount it to the seatpost vertically or elsewhere, or risk plod ire by sporting it on my lid, even though this may also attract mosquitos, which are very similar to cops, extracting blood instead of money.

They're selling the same light on Amazon for £24.99 - Planet X really don't appear to like selling through Amazon:

Covid-style masks do keep my face somewhat warmer winter cycling. The bottle cage tool cases at 99p are a good deal. Dry bag for DSLR and flash, or tablet, sunglasses which might fit while wearing my jawguarded helmet, bottle cage cases for tools and phone. Tablet dry bag.. for er... tablet.

My shamefully profligate order. I'm such a mug :rolleyes: I'd never pay their normal prices though. This shop is unknown to me, so paid using Paypal for refundability - they haven't refused me one yet!

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What about putting lights to point outwards for side visibility, which is something really lacking on bikes? I guess red isn't legal as it's only for the rear, so white, orange or yellow should satisfy any coppers.
Again, that sounds a very familiar line of enquiry - I did find many orange lights on AliExpress which would do the job attached to the sides of my bike frame, wired to my ebike battery, but matters have improved greatly after I attached a headlight to my handlebar, directed backwards to illuminate my hi-vis blouson, which from what I've experienced thus far, makes me quite brightly visible from the sides and well as head on, because it illuminates my chest and the insides of my hi-vis arms - haven't had any drivers leap out in front at intersections and roundabouts since I did that, I may stop pondering side lighting beyond this.