Kona Ute tsdz2 conversion

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A square taper is a std for BB's where just a BB or a mid drive, I will be using a pair of shimano cranks as the Q factor is less.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A square taper is a std for BB's where just a BB or a mid drive, I will be using a pair of shimano cranks as the Q factor is less.
I did wonder if the high Q factor was a necessary feature, to cause more of a bend of the axle, and therefore provide more accurate torque sensing - but if Shimano cranks have worked without torque-sensing issues on the Tongsheng for others in the past, then probably not.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
On my TSDZ2 conversions conversions I've only swapped the TSDZ2 cranks on one of the fits and that was to Bafang cranks. Yes the Bafang improves the Q factor but the folks with the other kits have never heard of Q factor and IMHO unless you are a purist it won't matter a damn to most folks.

PS - I only swapped to Bafang cranks becuase my TSDZ2 ones kept coming loose but that turned out to be because I wasn't tightening them up enough (I only achieved the recommended 40nm after using a torque wrench - 40nm is a lot of torque and most competent DIY cycle mechanics would tighten to something normally considered adequate, as did I, but in actual fact was far less than the 40nm expected). The TSDZ2 cranks on my other fits have been properly tightened to 40nm and nobody has had loose cranks so far.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
the folks with the other kits have never heard of Q factor and IMHO unless you are a purist it won't matter a damn to most folks.
especially if their other transport is a horse

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh and guerney

potato

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2021
And.. it appears I have to eat my words. Replacement TSDZ2 cranks arrived yesterday (remembering my originals arrived with wonky pedal holes), fitted them today and...

Bags of clearance with them torqued to 40nm, and rides perfectly.

Now I have a different dilemma.. I tried out the little one in a bike trailer the other day and realised how much less faff it'll be having them in a relatively warm weatherproof towing vehicle, plus it'll take up less space. So I bought a second hand one.. I suspect I'm going to have a comparative test ride of the route, conventional bike with trailer vs e-bike, see how painful that hill really is!

Of course I could convert one of my other bikes and tow with that... that's a thought for another day!

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
And.. it appears I have to eat my words. Replacement TSDZ2 cranks arrived yesterday (remembering my originals arrived with wonky pedal holes), fitted them today and...

Bags of clearance with them torqued to 40nm, and rides perfectly.

Now I have a different dilemma.. I tried out the little one in a bike trailer the other day and realised how much less faff it'll be having them in a relatively warm weatherproof towing vehicle, plus it'll take up less space. So I bought a second hand one.. I suspect I'm going to have a comparative test ride of the route, conventional bike with trailer vs e-bike, see how painful that hill really is!

Of course I could convert one of my other bikes and tow with that... that's a thought for another day!
After a full motor submersion incident last year (water level went over both pedals :eek: ), I'm now crazy about waterproofing every connection which has any chance of getting soggy, and would cover the heatshrink in photo 1 (under the ziptie) and the blade fuse with self-amalgamating rubber tape. My motor was fine, but now I am nuts about waterproofing... especially on the lower parts of the frame prone to splashes and immersion in sudden big deep puddles/mini-ponds following thunderstorms. I've covered all the connectors, because being rained on for four or more hours has happened quite often when I'm cycling. Maybe it's a bit OTT...

Looks like Nealh was right about the variable nature of the quality of Tongsheng kits. Good to see that your new pedals fit properly!

Last edited: