Looking for a reliable ebike to do the London knowledge on, please help!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
When im pointing ill use pedal power so shldnt effect the battery too much and yea youre right it may be a bit slow but hey win some lose some.. Plus itll give the streets a chance to sink in a bit more im hoping.
Hope the plan works.

I suppose most want to rattle through the runs as quickly as possible because they are trying to fit in doing the Knowledge around earning a living at something else.

I've never heard of anyone doing it on a bike, electric or otherwise, but I expect it has been done.

Knowledge boy

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2017
Luton
I was going to say much the same. A decent second hand moped can be had for £700 and it obviously wouldn't have any issues with range. 30 miles a day on an ebike is fine if recharging every night, if not you're almost certainly going to need a second battery and a means of topping up. Most ebike batteries on average will only do 30 to 40 miles per charge, maybe up 50 or so on a crank drive if used sparingly.
I know what your saying and if i could get a motorbike rack thatll go on the back of the van its more viable, the reason im thinking ebike is itll fit in the back of the van where im sleeping plus ill have the bonus of keeping fit and i wont have to tax it insure it fill it full of fuel every day...

Knowledge boy

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2017
Luton
A moped would be no dearer, could even cost less, and will be far more reliable than a bike. No range or charge problems either, and much less risk of theft.

For this application it's no contest.
How can it be more reliable than a bike? Do ebikes go wrong alot then?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Knowledge boy

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2017
Luton
Hope the plan works.

I suppose most want to rattle through the runs as quickly as possible because they are trying to fit in doing the Knowledge around earning a living at something else.

I've never heard of anyone doing it on a bike, electric or otherwise, but I expect it has been done.
Thanks, ive tried it twice on mopeds and didnt last.. Purely because of where i live, if i do it on a ebike i can get a van and sleep in the back mon-fri which will give me more time on the streets, at least im hoping so

Knowledge boy

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2017
Luton

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Knowledge boy

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2017
Luton
That works! To be honest ill have no problem killing time in a coffee shop for at least a cpl of hours as ill have to do my notes and revision somewhere and think ill get sick of the van pretty quick

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How can it be more reliable than a bike? Do ebikes go wrong alot then?
A whole lot more than mopeds unfortunately. There's the usual bike problems when they work hard regularly, including punctures of course, plus the electrical problems that can crop up.

Much depends on the usage though, mileage, working hours etc., and there's a luck element as well. One will not get a problem with a particular bike while another owner gets lots.

That said, the Bosch units are pretty reliable so one of the better choices.

Reactions: Knowledge boy

Knowledge boy

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2017
Luton
Now thats a van! Unfortunatley theres morechance of mine having 'trotters independent traders' written down the side
The Bosch 500wh batteries are around £700 to buy separately.
Holy cow i wasnt expecting that! Worth it though, no choice really, use one one day the other the next.. Gotta be the way forward, and theyre good for 40-50 miles right? I may be able to get 1.5 days worth out of each battery if thats the case which would make things work out a little easier

• :D
Reactions: D8ve

Knowledge boy

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2017
Luton
A whole lot more than mopeds unfortunately. There's the usual bike problems when they work hard regularly, including punctures of course, plus the electrical problems that can crop up.

Much depends on the usage though, mileage, working hours etc., and there's a luck element as well. One will not get a problem with a particular bike while another owner gets lots.

That said, the Bosch units are pretty reliable so one of the better choices.
Hmm... Thanks flecc, hopefully ill be one of the lucky ones!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
range will depend how fit you are and lots of other things but id say 35-45 is more like it.

if you use a dongle then i get about 25-30 miles.

• Agree
Reactions: nemesis

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Get a Woosh Karoo e road bike with 15ah/540 wh battery good for 70ish miles and a second battery is only circa £300, when all done and dusted the bike if not required will sell easily and quickly on their website. We know it is good for 70 miles because EPJ did an independent unbiased review/evaluation of it and posted it on here.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you get 4 levels of assist so if you keep it in eco mode and out in more effort then the more range you will get.

it wont be 150km tho.

Reactions: Knowledge boy