Major Momentum New Supplier on Ebay

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Or.....I'm a e-biker and I'm okay. I sleep all night, and I ride all day.
All on a single charge.....
Hey boys and girls - update from those guys in the video.

First up - Flecc you were right - I asked them what size the chainring was and they sent me a list of the number of teeth on the rear cogset. Bless. I'll go back and ask again on that.

Then - I asked how heavy the blue one was - first answer was 'not much more than a standard mountain bike' - then one email later - "35Kg". To which I replied - you sure that sounds mighty heavy for a bottle battery e-bike. No answer back to that yet.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Gosh that all sound a little grim :(

Jerry

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
joking aside they are going to get a hammering financially ...Unless they can unload on ebay and skedaddle. A shame as they look like decent fellas.

Caveat emptor folks!

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton

First up - Flecc you were right - I asked them what size the chainring was and they sent me a list of the number of teeth on the rear cogset. Bless. I'll go back and ask again on that.

Then - I asked how heavy the blue one was - first answer was 'not much more than a standard mountain bike' - then one email later - "35Kg". To which I replied - you sure that sounds mighty heavy for a bottle battery e-bike. No answer back to that yet.
You could confuse this, with one of Delboy and Rodney ventures...... the only thing missing is the clapped out Robin Reliant.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How any people buying a TV are really buying it based on picture quality ?
I bought my TV based on sound quality, and it cost twice the market average for the size because of that. This just shows how different each of us is, I can't stand bad sound quality.

Most TVs have good pictures, but the majority of today's flat screen TVs have sound quality varying from poor to appalling, largely through inadequate speakers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Can't say I'm at all surprised, that was the impression the whole venture gave me from the outset. I can't see a single aspect they've got right.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
joking aside they are going to get a hammering financially ...Unless they can unload on ebay and skedaddle. A shame as they look like decent fellas.

Caveat emptor folks!
Got two answers from them:

First:

-----------------------

Hi James,

ah of course, I should really have one of the technical people in charge of customer service.

47 is the answer you are looking for.

Luke

---------------------

Second:

--------------------

Hi James,

don't know what I was thinking earlier. My supplier has just told me that the bike in its entirety weighs in at 23kgs.

I must have got that from the packaging and spares added on, my apologies.

Luke

----------------------

So it looks like they are learning 'on the job'.

At least they're communicating............

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Although maybe the number of MTB and 4 wheel drive cars prove that style/bling/pose will win over practicality far to often
I don't know about you but whenever I see one of those Land Rover "Evoke" cars with the ridiculous squashed roof I can't help laughing. They must be driven by people with too much money to spend and who think appearance more important than practicality.
This is just my opinion but Blimey! What are the owners thinking!?! :)

Barry.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Having caught up on the whole thread now all I can say is that I wish them well.
Whether they are naive or not, in a business sense, they seem in the video to be genuinely enthusiatic about the benifits of ebiking and that strikes a chord with me.
When Tim goes off track in the woods and the partner can't control his good humour was very amusing!
For the price either bike seems like good value to me and with some innovative design points.
I like the product and the 2 chaps promoting the product - good luck to them - I am sure they will learn a lot from this venture and I hope they succeed.

Barry.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
I don't know about you but whenever I see one of those Land Rover "Evoke" cars with the ridiculous squashed roof I can't help laughing. They must be driven by people with too much money to spend and who think appearance more important than practicality.
This is just my opinion but Blimey! What are the owners thinking!?! :)

Barry.
If you pull up along side one, ask what HGV class it is..............:eek:.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Having caught up on the whole thread now all I can say is that I wish them well.
Me to. I Must admit I've seen a pattern since I've joined here where people seem to take great delight in tearing into new "cheap" suppliers while bigging up anyone who produces a £3000+ bike just based on pictures and spec (and no I'm not picking on any one individual) . Might be interesting to go back a few years and see what was said about some of the suppliers on here who are now considered main stream and acceptable :D.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was member number one in 2006, and the bikes subject to adverse comments since then have in the main disappeared as they deserved to. Some of them were offered by decent people but let down by poor product import decisions. It might surprise you Garry, but a number of us really do know our subject and easily recognise poor buys.

The odd exception has been where the comments were accepted constructively by the supplier and the faults put right, that's been two companies now much more highly regarded. One of them has been very free in their praise for the part the forum played in that success.

The lesson to suppliers is clear, take note if you want to succeed, there's more knowledge about commercial e-bikes in here than anywhere else online.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Not disputing any of the above in fact its one of the reason i joined this forum to learn from people with far more experience of e-bikes and its obvious there are some very knowledgable people here. However all I have seen so far regarding new suppliers is a go for the jugular attitude before they have even had chance to try and establish their credentials and also not even here on forum to defend themselves. I Have no problems with constructive criticism but far to much of of what I read appears more to be mockery because people here know "better".

Only saying it as I see it I'm more than willing to be proved wrong.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Garry, All of the bikes I have been discussing and find interesting are in and round the £2000 mark or less.....So the same price level as yours?:rolleyes:

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Not disputing any of the above in fact its one of the reason i joined this forum to learn from people with far more experience of e-bikes and its obvious there are some very knowledgable people here. However all I have seen so far regarding new suppliers is a go for the jugular attitude before they have even had chance to try and establish their credentials and also not even here on forum to defend themselves. I Have no problems with constructive criticism but far to much of of what I read appears more to be mockery because people here know "better".

Only saying it as I see it I'm more than willing to be proved wrong.

I still absolutely maintain that at this price point I would rather choose an existing established supplier. To come new to the market with little or no experience is possible...but £750 is too expensive as a market entry amateurish operation.....this is not mockery; they are amateurish; fact. There is nothing wrong with being so but I say again that the price should reflect this (initially!)

If I were in their position (little or no experience or product knowledge) I would expect to make a loss or perhaps if lucky break even as part of my business plan. I would look to slowly increase prices as I improved my product and support. What this looks like to me is a couple of guys buying a job lot of ebikes which they are trying to shift for a quick profit. They are therefore asking for the same price as bikes from established dealers. I again mention Juicy Bike as I have one which is going strong after 2 faultless commuting years....still only £40 more than these bikes.

I'm sure they are nice guys and I wish them all the best....but I wouldn't touch these bikes with a proverbial barge pole.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
However all I have seen so far regarding new suppliers is a go for the jugular attitude before they have even had chance to try and establish their credentials and also not even here on forum to defend themselves.
This isn't the case Garry, but I can understand you thinking it since the majority of new entrants fall into the dud category and in your very brief period in the forum you won't have seen much of a sample. Whenever a new marketing opportunity opens up in any field, a number jump on the band wagon hoping for success, and all too often they don't know what they are doing and make dud choices. If they aren't in the appropriate forum to answer criticisms, that is entirely their fault and goes to show how poor their setup is, since finding such a resource is a fundamental before setting up a company. It's very basic market research.

There are new low price entrants who have not been criticised for the simple reason they've tried to get it right in a sensible way, a couple of examples being Kudos and Juicybike. Since one can buy e-bikes at similar or lower prices from these e-bike companies with support and some other known advantages, why on earth buy one of these obvious low grade buy-ins with no assurance of a lasting company and some indicators of the company venture into e-bikes being one that may well fail?

Any entrant needs a USP (unique selling point), there's no future in offering no better than others combined with less security, and this company doesn't have one. What they are offering can be had from ebay often at lower prices and sometimes from well established sources. The two companies I've mentioned above did have their USPs and so have a place in the market.

Last edited:

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
I bought my TV based on sound quality, and it cost twice the market average for the size because of that. This just shows how different each of us is, I can't stand bad sound quality.

Most TVs have good pictures, but the majority of today's flat screen TVs have sound quality varying from poor to appalling, largely through inadequate speakers.
I'm surprised at you, flecc! You get what you pay for ... Try Phillips for both sound and vision quality ... :)

Don