Need help with Ebike choice

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep Andy88, that's pretty much the one, there appears to be a couple of sellers on eBay offering them.

I don't think it has been posted on here before, one of the specs mentions hydraulic brakes, although the seller states mechanical disc brakes, not a problem, even though just £1000 or so, I would still prefer to see one in the flesh before buying, also need to see what frame sizes are available.

Thanks for posting the link (image) btw.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
RB welcome, must be Chinese behind the Company, I found their website
www.greenwaycycles.co.uk

Quite possibly the worst website I've ever encountered fir a while, I needed to register b4 I could even view their bikes but once you get in the images are fair, info u have to dig for. Blimey some of these bike shops could really do with some help with their internet presence

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire

This one using BAFANG SWXO8 for £725 better to buy this and upgrade some of the parts,

The one below only £700 same motor as the 725 one.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
When you think that the BAFANG SW08X kit retails at £500 then £100 to get it fitted, makes this a very cheap bike

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, Andy88 same goes for the Bafang Max Drive model, although I am somewhat concerned that the motor is not described as the Bafang Max Drive, although the image does show what can only be the Bafang Max Drive motor, I would be gutted if ordered, to find that the bike comes with the 8fun motor.

The lowest price that I have seen so far for a Bafang Max Drive bike has been around £1,900 so like you say, these Greenway offerings are a bargain if they are what they say they are.

The website does not inspire confidence, when I clicked on your link to Greenway it took me to a web hosting site, saying that the Greenway website was down for maintanence!

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
RB it looks to me like just very poor marketing on their part, I find it hard to comprehend that in this day and age how anyone can go to market with such poor product representation.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Heres the product description from the site, Joytech Hubs don't instill confidence lol but the rest looks workable. Sorry in two halves but only way I could do it..

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Just read the feedback on ebay, bit negative here and there but for the money the niggles like chains and tyre valves etc could be put right.

My main concern would be frame, fork, brake and wheel quality if all need upgrading then not so cheap.

I would think after sales service non existent but hey if you are a good with mechanical things none of it matters I guess

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, my main interest is the Frame Battery and Motor, not to bothered about the rest, as mentioned my main concern is that it is an actual Bafang Max Drive motor that is in there, no mention of it 90nm Torque or any of that.

Also I would like me to think that anyone making a Bafang Max Drive specific frame, would be doing at least a half decent job of it, in fact I would even think that they maybe sourcing the Frame and Motor from Bafang themselves, who knows.

The specs are a little concerning, some saying it comes with 44T chainring and some saying 38T chainring, again I am not to worried about that, just need to do a little more research.

I am more concerned that the Bafang Max Drive models are a rarity, from what I would consider to be more established ebike dealers, no doubt there are both political and commercial reasons for that being the case.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I think it could be a case of the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing in terms of listing the bikes.

You can expect this in certain parts of Asia but you would expect more attention to detail in the uk.

It points to poor or non existent management but if you can read between the lines and get a bargain then its your gain.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/econo-lines/Electric-Bikes-/_i.html?_fsub=17360429010&_sid=564207080&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

The frame looks OK the only thing I am unsure of is the width at the rear tyre. The price is certainly right with £19 shipping to France! The battery box looks like the Bafang standard one on the Bafang web site.

With ebay guarantees if I was on the market I would certainly give it a go at that price. Then strip off everything I didn't like and rebuild with quality components much the same as I would with the cheapest Decathlon bikes. At the cheap end of the scale you will probably just need better tyres, saddle, peddles and a hydraulic front brake.

Reactions: Andy88

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
It will be interesting to see if the man from Whoosh, makes a comment on this find, surely the Bafang Max Drive is right up thier street.

Also this £1000 price tag kinda sets the bar, for a decent CD ebike, and gives you an idea of the sort of margins that UK dealers are making on Ebikes.

I know UK business's have to make a profit, I don't mind that so long as they are not pulling my trousers down at the same time.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Yes, I can see from the sidelines that there are plans from within the camps of the smaller ebike dealers as they monitor the evolving market place.

I agree with you that the DIY CD market at the moment seems dominated by Bafang and the BBS models, the new MaxDrive is a welcome addition albeit from the same Company.

I think we will start to see some new iterations beginning of Spring but the players at present are keeping their cards very close to their chests.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, Andy88 I really do think that the Bafang Max Drive is the elephant in the room at the moment for distributors and dealers alike, I wait with bated breath to see what happens in the comming months.

Reactions: Andy88