Never-tackle-an-e-bike-battery-fire-yourself-warns-fire-brigade-after-another-blaze

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That looks like one of these that's been modified with a much bigger battery and a bigger moto. The big box thing on the rack presumably is/was for fast food deliveries.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You beat me to it - Googled and found it's 350W or 750W, both sold derestricted:

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Maybe they make them fireproof now having so many of their bikes catching fires.
Maybe they did a risk assessment on their 'riders' and decided fireproof bags were needed to stop the pizzas and curries overcooking. Customers would not be happy to get a frizzled curry.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
One good thing about that report is that its seems relativly clear what happened.

A conversion on a eBike with a much larger (illegal ?) motor fitted and the fire happened the day after a 'new' charger was used.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They bought a new charger because they had replaced the original battery with a bigger one. presumably, the charger was a fast one because the bigger battery would take too long to charge with the old one.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I am just amazed that so many people don't know basic Physics and chemistry when it comes to batteries, you still hear idiots throw water on fat fires or charge bikes AT NIGHT, ok die in your sleep, at least you will be unaware.

Also amazing is that people even now don't have smoke alarms, REALLY :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh and STOP BUYING CHEAP CHINESE LOW QUALITY BIKES with cheap batteries

• Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: Az. and PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
The advice given by the fire service.

Quote...
"A Fire England advice page also details battery warning signs to look out for, including battery overheating, deformation, odd noises or smells (including smoke) and the battery not charging as normal."

So what does one do if the battery is deformed or bulging a part from not using it or charging it, the recycle system wouldn't take it. Noises, smells & smoking possibly ring the fire service???

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So what does one do if the battery is deformed or bulging a part from not using it or charging it, the recycle system wouldn't take it. Noises, smells & smoking possibly ring the fire service???
Dig a hole in the garden, drop it in and cover it with soil. It will sort itself out eventually.

If you haven't got a garden, put it in the oven, that doesn't mind getting very hot for a while. ;)

• :D
Reactions: warlord0 and PC2017

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also amazing is that people even now don't have smoke alarms, REALLY :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Threw mine away decades ago, and the hallways in our flats had them taken out. Same reason:

Useless things, get a bit cold and the low PP3 battery beeps in the night drive everyone mad.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Dumb comment, I am a single father of three autistic sons, OURS went off years back, saw nothing, walked up the hall, nothing, FIRE in the annex

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
beeps in the night drive everyone mad.
It always happens at night. I am sure those bloody things have inbuild timers with one purpose only: to annoy me.

But I am glad to hear it happens to you too. It feels little better now when I know I am not personally targeted. :)

Reactions: flecc

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Interesting video in the link.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Dig a hole in the garden
Done that with a few old mobiles, so defo food for thought, let the Fire service give advice but not aid in practical solutions.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Done that with a few old mobiles, so defo food for thought, let the Fire service give advice but not aid in practical solutions.
I doubt the fire service will like this practical and perfectly reasonable solution: If I get the dead escooter I found a few months ago working, I could put it upside down with it's wheels pointed up on my windowsill with the window open when charging my ebike battery, power the escooter with a 24V power supply, make a box to sit on top of the wheels to hold the flaming battery, to be safely flung out of my home automatically by the throtte when activated at say 90℃ by a temperature controlled switch. It's the only good use for a escooter I can think of.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: PC2017 and esuark

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I doubt the fire service will like this practical and perfectly reasonable solution: If I get the dead escooter I found a few months ago working, I could put it upside down with it's wheels pointed up on my windowsill with the window open when charging my ebike battery, power the escooter with a 24V power supply, make a box to sit on top of the wheels to hold the flaming battery, to be safely flung out of my home automatically by the throtte when activated at say 90℃ by a temperature controlled switch. It's the only good use for a escooter I can think of.
I hope you all make one. Diagram not to scale:

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=e-scooter&availability=In%20Stock%20In%20Store&sortBy=prod_cex_uk_price_asc

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: PC2017 and Az.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I hope you all make one
I feel that my neighbour may not appreciate that idea when her cars goes up with it, but yes I have similar plan, excluding the scooter! Mine involves a small shovel and an oven glove :p

Reactions: flecc