Never-tackle-an-e-bike-battery-fire-yourself-warns-fire-brigade-after-another-blaze

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have similar plan, excluding the scooter! Mine involves a small shovel and an oven glove
The advantage of getting a machine to do the flinging is, it can be done remotely - you don't want cells exploding like grenades in your face while you attempt to shovel the flaming and disintegrating battery outside like this poor guy in the video below - I bet he wishes he'd had a Flaming Ebike Fire Flinger! His kids wouldn't need pills to deal with the trauma of surviving the experience and his family would still have a house to live in. I also bet he'd have preferred his neighbours car burned to a crisp instead of his family's home and belongings. It's all very well saying we must be awake while charging, but there's got to be a better plan than to charge while awake so we can run for our lives to watch our homes and belongings burn from a safe distance, should the very extremely unlikely ever happen. Fling the damn fire out!

I feel that my neighbour may not appreciate that idea when her cars goes up with it
My power supply is only 2A - so unless I add wings, propeller and radio control, I expect about 1ft flinging distance... which would be far enough for the boxed flaming battery to fall into a water butt under the window. Or into a pre-dug hole to be covered by an automated soil flinging escooter. The lesser evil and personal inconvenience and cost to myself, of setting my neighbour's car ablaze would require illegal derestriction of the escooter (might not be illegal if used in private airspace), a 300A power supply, and a second escooter to fling out the first, when it's motor bursts into flames after it's flung out the flaming battery 50ft. Still, it's good repurposing for otherwise dangerous and utterly useless escooters. I've sent blueprints to Zelensky, which might be intercepted by the Russians. It could win the war.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC2017

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
a battery has to get hot before it bursts into flame? how fast is the heat up ? could a simple off the shelf temperature controlled socket set to power down at say 10 or 20c above ambient enclosed with the the battery during charging ward off many possible fires? and give advance warning of future battery issues?

Inkbird do a nice cheap range of such controllers aimed at brewers and distillers with remote sensors.

if its a case of thermal runaway? then a more sophisticated approach may be required. Perhaps monitoring the speed of temperature change rather than the actual temperature itself, with multiple sensors, continually monitored in a cycle to react if and when any accelerated heat up takes place should be fairly straight forward to knock up with an arduino or similar. determining what constitutes safe and unsafe states however could be dangerous and expensive ;)

But If there are any indicators prior to the point of no return a monitoring system can be built.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You like to make things complicated, don't you! Why not use my method. It's much simpler and it gives you the chance to make an opportunity from a crisis, so all that management training you had would be justified. You tie a short piece of cable between the dog and the battery. Charge the battery near where the dog sleeps. When the battery bursts into flames, the dog starts yelping, which wakes you up, then the dog runs out the dog flap in panic, dragging the battery with it. You remain safe and become more wealthy because you won't need to pay for any more dog food. Win, win.

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I've been pricing up a fire suppression installation for my front room.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's much simpler and it gives you the chance to make an opportunity from a crisis, so all that management training you had would be justified.
Here's actual footage from my Illuminati World Orgy Management Domination Seminar - someone lit a 18650 and waved it around mumbling stuff, then I was ordered to strip:

I have similar plan, excluding the scooter! Mine involves a small shovel and an oven glove
you don't want cells exploding like grenades in your face while you attempt to shovel the flaming and disintegrating battery outside
I've been pricing up a fire suppression installation for my front room.
It'd be cheaper to make a steel box to charge your battery in, by bolting together 5mm thick steel sheet, to bolt to a large long handled spade, with the open end forward to prevent flaming blasts to your face and body. Forward thrust from the explosions and jets of flame could fully open the window you've left slightly ajar. Fling the flaming battery out at something cheaper to replace than your house and belongings.

Last edited:

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Here's actual footage from my Illuminati World Orgy Management Domination Seminar - someone lit a 18650 and waved it around mumbling stuff, then I was ordered to strip:

It'd be cheaper to make a steel box to charge your battery in, by bolting together 5mm thick steel sheet, to bolt to a large long handled spade, with the open end forward to prevent flaming blasts to your face and body. Forward thrust from the explosions and jets of flame could fully open the window you've left slightly ajar. Fling the flaming battery out at something cheaper to replace than your house and belongings.

My battery store is in the garage, and I made it from (basically) two paving slabs - one top, one bottom, with brick for the back and side walls. No cement (yet). A loose brick front facing into open space, and loose bricks as battery separators. Bulky, but effective and free!

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I got an old ammo box (and stripped off the rubber seal so it wasn't airtight)
I am not sure if it is a good idea. Depending on intensity of fire you might be just creating a bomb. It won't protect from toxic smoke anyway...
Do you keep it outside?

• Agree

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I am not sure if it is a good idea. Depending on intensity of fire you might be just creating a bomb. It won't protect from toxic smoke anyway...
Do you keep it outside?
In the garage - let me find the youtube videos !

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Keep in mind exploding batteries on those videos were tiny.
I would drill some holes for controlled smoke release.
seemed a reasonable amount - they seemed to fill the ammo box - not sure on the voltage but e.g

Annotation 2023-10-04 091853.jpg