Never-tackle-an-e-bike-battery-fire-yourself-warns-fire-brigade-after-another-blaze

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Who's going to bet on the cause of Luton Airport burning?

BTW, one insurance company is no longer insuring electric cars and the others seem to be hiking the premiums substantially. One guy has the cost of his elecric Porche's insurance hiked from £600 to £3000.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
The only survivor of the fire, Mr Scott Peden, has stated that after the original battery was stolen, he replaced it with an online purchase and it seems this has overheated and caused the fire.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The only survivor of the fire, Mr Scott Peden, has stated that after the original battery was stolen, he replaced it with an online purchase and it seems this has overheated and caused the fire.
I suspect that there's more to that story than is written in that article. I've never seen anything in a cheap Chinese battery that would cause a fire. I once saw a "professional" recell of a BionX battery that scared me to death. It had a whole range of different sized pouch cells in it that packed up after a week, luckily for the owner.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was another Deliveroo rider, who had the brilliant idea to get a bigger battery then fast charge it to have less downtime. Sadly, we never get the details, so all the hysterics can have a field day.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi I'm a journalist looking at e-bike conversions. If you have experience with DIY conversions, faulty conversions and batteries, fires, or using a conversion as a food courier or delivery driver, please reply to this post of DM me. Thanks.
I suggest you start a new thread, instead of resurrecting oodles of old threads.

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
Dig a hole in the garden, drop it in and cover it with soil. It will sort itself out eventually.

If you haven't got a garden, put it in the oven, that doesn't mind getting very hot for a while. ;)

• :D
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
One guy has the cost of his elecric Porche's insurance hiked from £600 to £3000.
WOW £600 for a standard petrol Porsche is extremely bloody good, never mind an electric one.
£800-1K is more the usual price for a standard Porsche.