New Bosch drive Halfords Carrera bikes

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hi all

Just noticed this on the Halfords site

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crossfuse-mens-hybrid-electic-bike (Ladies version also available)

Looks like they are moving upmarket with new Bosch mid drive but only 400w battery, and pretty pricey at £1600.

So a straight 10% off for British Cycling membership, and 3-4% quidco/topcash back, and buy Halfords Gift vouchers at a discount various schemes), could see a total of a 20% saving, so sub £1300 possible...interesting??

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Hi all

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crossfuse-mens-hybrid-electic-bike (Ladies version also available)

Looks like they are moving upmarket with new Bosch mid drive but only 400w battery, and pretty pricey at £1600.

So a straight 10% off for British Cycling membership, and 3-4% quidco/topcash back, and buy Halfords Gift vouchers at a discount various schemes), could see a total of a 20% saving, so sub £1300 possible...interesting??
Price is about right for Bosch bike, spec level OK.

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
That's a decent price at £1,600 - although I'd like a 500 battery,
It does have the look of what motorcyclists used to describe as a "Parts Bin Special" with an Active Line motor rather than a Performance Line one.
But using discounts and offers I'd suggest its a good buy at £1,300 - £1,400 or so .....

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Parts Bin Special" with an Active Line motor rather than a Performance Line one.
Yes it lacs in the looks department but that's the all new Bosch gen 3 active line plus motor, supposedly not available until January. Atleast that's the way it is with the Cube I have on order.
Although with discounts it's a good value no frills ride I wouldn't chose it over what I have on order, at just under £1700 & with the 500 battery :cool: https://www.rutlandcycling.com/381152/products/cube-acid-hybrid-one-500-2018-electric-mountain-bike-green.aspx

Also I think you've goten your motor generations mixed up o_O

Gen 1/ active & performance motors
Gen 2/ CX motor
Gen 3/ active line & active line plus

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Yes it lacs in the looks department but that's the all new Bosch gen 3 active line plus motor, supposedly not available until January. Atleast that's the way it is with the Cube I have on order.
Although with discounts it's a good value no frills ride I wouldn't chose it over what I have on order, at just under £1700 & with the 500 battery :cool: https://www.rutlandcycling.com/381152/products/cube-acid-hybrid-one-500-2018-electric-mountain-bike-green.aspx

Also I think you've goten your motor generations mixed up o_O

Gen 1/ active & performance motors
Gen 2/ CX motor
Gen 3/ active line & active line plus
Nice deal, looks great too

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
seems a bit on the heavy side to me (no kickstand seems to be included)
I have 2016 ktm macina cross active line moter 400w battery 51cm frame depending on what advert 20.4kg or 21.4kg.
I thought the newer moters were meant to a kilo lighter?

also quite a lot of the 2018 ebikes have now got batteries integrated into the frame itself.
the fact that there are Halfords outlets in most areas is an advantage though.
prefer the look of the cube,

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
seems a bit on the heavy side to me (no kickstand seems to be included)
Built down to a budget, frame and components will be a little portly (23.9kg)
Shaving a few grams here and there all add up to a noticeably lighter bike but as the kilos come off the pounds go on.
The Cube even with its heavier 500 battery is 2 Kg lighter, also a few hundred pound heavier ;)

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Son 32 works at Halfords as a bike Tech, and none of the staff even new of this bike, although they do stock the Hub motor models.

He cycles on his none ebike 12 miles into work each day, 5 days a week for 8/10hr shift, so is going to get one of these Crossfuse models.

With staff discount, and going on the CTW scheme, cost to him would be less than £500 spread over the year, complete no brainer.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
o_O How many sons do you have :rolleyes:
Seriously though I'm interested in how he gets on with the Bosch motor as its the new kid on the block.
Halfords show them as available now but Cube bikes with that motor aren't available untill January (I'm not holding my breath on that date ;))

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Son 32 works at Halfords as a bike Tech, and none of the staff even new of this bike, although they do stock the Hub motor models.

He cycles on his none ebike 12 miles into work each day, 5 days a week for 8/10hr shift, so is going to get one of these Crossfuse models.

With staff discount, and going on the CTW scheme, cost to him would be less than £500 spread over the year, complete no brainer.
Wow, epic discount, 500 quid for a bosch powered bike, best deal ever

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi all

OK ... It's only available in 18" frame... but compare the spec for the same money.
No comparison

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/electric-bikes/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-race-500-green-2017-electric-bike.html

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, I think the deal for staff at Halfords is that they can buy one bike per year at cost, which works out at around 36% of shop price.

This bike can then be put on the CTW scheme.

Other than that it's a staff discount of 25% on bikes, and other stuff but not everything.

Of course they can price match, then apply the discount.

It's a nice perk and well deserved for the crap that they have to put up with.

I may just ask him to get me a crossfuse, at £1,200 for a Bosch ebike seems like a good deal to me.

Although the motor is just 50nm torque, and I would have preferred the 75nm torque that the CX motor offers.

But hey, beggars can't be choosers!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That's a decent price at £1,600 - although I'd like a 500 battery,
It does have the look of what motorcyclists used to describe as a "Parts Bin Special" with an Active Line motor rather than a Performance Line one.
But using discounts and offers I'd suggest its a good buy at £1,300 - £1,400 or so .....
There is nothing wrong with the active line motor. .. it may even be more reliable. Than the more Powerful variants. For road use.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
It will be interesting to keep a watch on the price of the Crossfuse.
With it being a brand new model it is probably on price establishment, to allow for future advertised savings.

And of course we have "Black Friday" comming up soon.

It could even be worth hanging on until the January sales to see at what price it ends up at.

I am sure other Ebike retailers are keeping a very close eye on this particular Ebike.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Be interested to here about real world use (commuting, touring etc) of the new 2018 active line plus motor...here's the Bosch spiel..

Bosch introducing two new systems and eMTB mode at Interbike

Reutlingen, Germany / Irvine, CA – Bosch eBike Systems North America (www.bosch-ebike.us) is highlighting two new systems and the new eMTB mode for the North American market for Model Year 2018. These innovations and more will be on display at Bosch’s Interbike 2017 booth (#17177) and available for experiencing first hand at the Interbike indoor test track “The Circuit” (#C11).

Active Line Plus: Quieter with zero resistance
From the days of launching our very first eBike system in Europe in 2010, Bosch’s goal has always been to make an eBike retain the natural feel of a traditional bicycle. The earliest generation of our product came close and quickly jump-started the “pedal-assist” eBike market in Europe. Our 2nd generation system came even closer and has been a big factor in the rise of pedal-assist eBikes in the US since 2014. Through non-stop innovation at our Stuttgart headquarters, our latest drive unit generation, dubbed Active Line Plus (ALP), closes the gap even further between an eBike and bicycle.

Key improvements
Smaller: the drive unit is 20% smaller (volumetric) which enables bike designs with a cleaner / integrated look, to more closely resemble traditional bikes. With the ALP, the drive unit is one step closer to disappearing within the frame of the bike.

Lighter: the ALP drive unit weighs approximately 7.1 lbs, a weight reduction of 19% compared with last year’s Active and Performance Line drive units. Lighter eBikes handle better during the ride and are easier to transport after the ride – both key enablers to eBike market growth.

Whisper-quiet: the completely re-designed drive unit features a new quieter gear concept and electric motor. As you pedal on a quiet road, now you just hear the wind in your face.

Zero pedalling resistance: due to this new gear concept, when the motor is in “off” mode or the rider surpasses the drive’s cut-off speed, the rider feels no more resistance in the pedals than on a traditional bicycle.

Multiple front chain ring possible: previously, all Bosch drive units allowed only one chain ring. ALP now features the ability to offer multiple front chain rings, for bikes that need a wider range of gears.

Superior range: the ALP combined with the 500Wh battery achieves 51 miles range (mixed-modes, favorable conditions), and a max of 130 miles-plus range (Eco mode, ideal conditions). This is achieved through key features such as high motor efficiency aand lower max torque (50 Nm), which is set deliberately lower than Performance Line to cater to commuters & more casual cyclists.

“The New Active Line Plus is our proudest achievement thus far for pavement-style eBikes,” said Claudia Wasko, General Manager of Bosch eBike Systems Americas. “Active Line Plus gives riders the fun of an eBike with the feel of a bicycle.”

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
It will be interesting to keep a watch on the price of the Crossfuse.
With it being a brand new model it is probably on price establishment, to allow for future advertised savings.

And of course we have "Black Friday" comming up soon.

It could even be worth hanging on until the January sales to see at what price it ends up at.

I am sure other Ebike retailers are keeping a very close eye on this particular Ebike.
I bought my Crossfire-e in Aug 2016 when they were doing their '20% off all bikes' promo, I combined this with British Cycling discount (10%) when I collected the bike, Topcashback (3% - reserved bike online for store collection) and payed in gift cards I had purchased (at 10% employer benefits scheme, or about 6% if using Zeek) - all told about 38% discount

38% discount of this bike would bring it down to under £1k - no other Bosch powered new bike comes close at that price

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, the Crossfuse is definatley set to be a game changer in the UK Crank Drive Ebike market.

It was quite interesting to learn, that Bosch have gone through some rigorous testing of the battery packs for these new motors, both in house and independently allegedly making them the most reliable and safe battery packs around, although I still think the battery pack replacement prices are outrageous.

I like the idea of being able to easily change, the chain ring, the Crossfuse could make for a good home for my Rohloff igh, albiet with a chain tensioner grrrr!

Halfords (Cycle Republic) now own Tredz and Wheelies, so the buying power of the company is huge compared to other bike retailers.

I would imagine that there is plenty of margin in the Crossfuse for Halfords to play around with.

And of course buying from such a large concern, will be a win win for consumers, the stores have some aggressive quarterly KPI targets to achieve, so there is a lot of emphasis in store on keeping the consumer happy, at almost any cost.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
i went into local Halfords yesterday mentioned the bosch crossfuse the guy in the cycle department knew nothing about it, and could not seem to find it.
and told me must be pre order?
and thought it unlikely they would ever have one in store.
I was hoping to see one in the flesh,