New Bosch drive Halfords Carrera bikes

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Azzuri, did you notice if the brake levers cut off power to the motor when activated.

Not sure if the brake levers are ebike specific, with a cable connection to the motor.

To be fair I am not even sure how Bosch motor ebikes, stop the motor when brakes are applied, or when gear changes are being made.
The Bosch active line does detect when the chain is changing gear on a derrailler and reduces power at that instant. The effect is no clunking and presumably less wear. I assume it is monitoring the strain on the chain, and this drops when the chain is between gears.

The brake handles do not have power cutoff switches, they are conventional levers, and just control the brake. Why would anyone want to continue pedelling, when they are pulling the brake?

gwing

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2008
Chiltern Hills
The Bosch active line does detect when the chain is changing gear on a derrailler and reduces power at that instant. The effect is no clunking and presumably less wear. I assume it is monitoring the strain on the chain, and this drops when the chain is between gears.

The brake handles do not have power cutoff switches, they are conventional levers, and just control the brake. Why would anyone want to continue pedelling, when they are pulling the brake?
Bit of stuff in the disk brakes making an annoying noise and you want to get rid of it?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Bit of stuff in the disk brakes making an annoying noise and you want to get rid of it?
What relevance has this to the topic in question? Have you replied to the wrong thread perhaps?

Last edited:

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep I see now that the specific ebike brake levers are mostly used on cheap ebikes and the Bafang kits, no doubt for when the throttle is being used and for motor over run when peddling is stopped.

I am planning to use my Rohloff SpeedHub in place of the rear cassette, which will at least double the gear range if not more.

Will probably go for a 13T rear cog for starters, although I do have the 15, 16 and 17T rear cogs to play with.

I currently run a 17T rear cog, with 41T ChainRing up front on my 26" wheel none ebike, so the Crossfuse will be a different kettle of fish.

gwing

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2008
Chiltern Hills
What relevance has this to the topic in question? Have you replied to the wrong thread perhaps?
You did ask "Why would anyone want to continue pedelling, when they are pulling the brake?" , I just suggested one possible reason why you might want to do this. In fact I was doing just that last night, dabbing the brake while riding along to get rid of the annoying noise.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You did ask "Why would anyone want to continue pedelling, when they are pulling the brake?" , I just suggested one possible reason why you might want to do this. In fact I was doing just that last night, dabbing the brake while riding along to get rid of the annoying noise.
Thanks I understand now. And yes that would be just as feasible on a Bosch and presumably other centre drive motors as on a none assisted bike.

Azzuri_UK

Just Joined
Nov 17, 2017
UK
Due to pick up bike on Wednesday, will be cycling it home from collection so will be able to post some thoughts on Thursday

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Well done Azzuri, I was thinking that there might be a price drop on the Crossfuse for "Black Friday" this week, maybe not at £1,600 but I will be watching it closely.

Will be great to read your views.

Azzuri_UK

Just Joined
Nov 17, 2017
UK
Yes, I'm certainly hoping it doesn't come up on a Black Friday deal. If it does I shall be speaking to Halfords!. I did sign up for the cycling membership to get the 10% discount

Went back in today to discuss extras like mudguards, a rack etc and still really like the look of it. The website doesn't really show it because of the contrast but its a nice shade of dark blue

Attachments

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Nice photo Azzuri, first proper image that I have seen of the bike, am sure Halfords will do well with this one.

If I get a Crossfuse, I will be fitting a Tubus Fly rear rack, and going for Gilles Berthoud Mudguards, got both those items on my current none ebike, and they both do the business.

In fact the Gilles Berthoud Stainless Steel mudguards are the best mudguards that I have ever come across.

If the Crossfuse does see a price drop on "Black Friday" I do believe that the subsequent conversation would most likley go in your favour, apparently down to Managers discretion.

Especialy as I would assume, that with the model being only just recently added to the range, it has no doubt been on some kind of price establishment, to support future promotions and offers.

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Due to pick up bike on Wednesday, will be cycling it home from collection so will be able to post some thoughts on Thursday
Looking forward to the review too. I didn't realise it was blue, it looks black on the website, nice. Love the silver alloy look on the bars,stem, seatpost, rims, nice contrast, makes a change from black.
Interested in the range in eco/tour mode
cheers

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
I look forward to hearing too, where's the best place to get discounted halfords gift cards? zeek?

Last edited:

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
went into local Halfords no bosch crossfuse on display but they have one in hemel Hempstead store and Hendon
cost of bosch battery 400w £513, but 10less with cycle network? discount

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
im assuming its a standard bosch battery anyway so can buy from anywhere, but 10% british cycling discount probably makes it cheaper than other sources

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
went to hemel hempsted today to look at the crossfuse, but alas they only received it yesterday and was not assembled, still in the box ,was allowed a peep but will have to go back on a later date.
it was however stressed rather heavily that this was a bosch battery, and not the ones used on the other Carrera crossfire/Vulcan.

Halfords have gone for bosch set up ,because of cut out problems with Carrera/Vulcan, got the impression it was the battery itself on the other models being the problem?

Azzuri_UK

Just Joined
Nov 17, 2017
UK
I picked up my bike yesterday afternoon. Had the pleasure of a ride home in fairly heavy rain and high winds and sunny ride in to work this morning.

I've not really reviewed a bike before and I'm pretty non technical about how they work but here are a few things I've noted. Any references to my old bike refer to my Greenedge CS2 which I replaced with the Crossfuse

• The motor seems very quiet, almost inaudible to me most of the time cycling on fairly busy roads. My old bike sounded like a milk float on hills :D
  • I'm loving the assist, it barely feels like its helping other than the fact you know you're going faster than you should be for the effort. My old bike needed to be in the top 2 modes to really be of any use but with the Crossfuse I'm finding I can do most of my trip on eco or tour (assist level 1 or 2) , other than the big hill at the end
  • The bike seems to "roll" alot better. It feels lighter overall than my old bike and in a very unscientific test (not pedaling down the big hill on the way to work) I got up to something like 32/33mph where as the old bike wouldn't get past 25
  • It doesn't have mudguard eyelets at the front which limited my choice a bit, in the end I just went with what the guy at the desk recommended because I needed something on there
  • The front fork is lockable
  • It comes with a 2 amp charger so you're looking at 4 hours or so to get it to full from its partial charge (mine was on about 2 bars when I collected it) or 6-7 hours from empty.
Overall I'm really happy with it. I was a little nervous about buying from Halfords as I've had mixed experiences in the past but this one ticked all the boxes for me and its only about 300 meters from my office so it's nice and easy to drop the bike in for work etc.

Here is a picture from when I collected it.

IMG_1672.JPG

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
glad you like your purchase, what mudguards are they? does the front one bolt on?
I find eco on my ktm macina (active line 50nm) is ok for me on the flat ,better than eco mode on my tdz2 equipped Carrera .
eco is 35nm,40nm tour, 45 sport, 50nm turbo on mine.

mark81

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 17, 2017
Northants
Yep no problem, you can use after all other sale prices or discounts, just cannot use it with cycle to work scheme. Really looking forward to owners review, keep us posted, cheers
I didn't go for the crossfuse in the end, instead opting for the Ebco tr-60.
I got the 10% off no problem even though I haven't received my British cycling membership card. In fact he didn't even take down my membership number!

Impressed with the short time I've spent with the bike so far, feels very solid with some decent kit on there.

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
I picked up my bike yesterday afternoon. Had the pleasure of a ride home in fairly heavy rain and high winds and sunny ride in to work this morning.

I've not really reviewed a bike before and I'm pretty non technical about how they work but here are a few things I've noted. Any references to my old bike refer to my Greenedge CS2 which I replaced with the Crossfuse

• The motor seems very quiet, almost inaudible to me most of the time cycling on fairly busy roads. My old bike sounded like a milk float on hills :D
  • I'm loving the assist, it barely feels like its helping other than the fact you know you're going faster than you should be for the effort. My old bike needed to be in the top 2 modes to really be of any use but with the Crossfuse I'm finding I can do most of my trip on eco or tour (assist level 1 or 2) , other than the big hill at the end
  • The bike seems to "roll" alot better. It feels lighter overall than my old bike and in a very unscientific test (not pedaling down the big hill on the way to work) I got up to something like 32/33mph where as the old bike wouldn't get past 25
  • It doesn't have mudguard eyelets at the front which limited my choice a bit, in the end I just went with what the guy at the desk recommended because I needed something on there
  • The front fork is lockable
  • It comes with a 2 amp charger so you're looking at 4 hours or so to get it to full from its partial charge (mine was on about 2 bars when I collected it) or 6-7 hours from empty.
Overall I'm really happy with it. I was a little nervous about buying from Halfords as I've had mixed experiences in the past but this one ticked all the boxes for me and its only about 300 meters from my office so it's nice and easy to drop the bike in for work etc.

Here is a picture from when I collected it.

View attachment 22232
what additions did you add?