• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Schwalbe say 145 psi so there can be no argument with that.

I've no experience of a roadie ebike, no doubt it's a different style of riding.

Can't help thinking it must be very harsh, but if you want speed it will be the way to go.
yes, the truth is that i only did it because it's what i had (if i had a dual suspension 29er on nice fat big apples, i'd most certainly have gone for it instead!), it's not ideal ito english roads and potholes and racing bikes dont usually have disc brakes (which i also find very preferable)

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Schwalbe say 145 psi so there can be no argument with that.

I've no experience of a roadie ebike, no doubt it's a different style of riding.

Can't help thinking it must be very harsh, but if you want speed it will be the way to go.
Actually recent thinking is that wider tyres can be quicker. That's a bit of a generalisation but they do appear to have lower rolling resistance, all other things being equal. Here is Schwalbe's answer as to why wider tyres roll better than narrow ones, and here's the testing from Bicycle Quarterly. I'm just converting a flat bar road bike at the moment which already comes with 35mm slicks but I'll probably take them off and put on a set of 40mm Vittoria Hyper ultra-fast touring tyres for a bit more comfort and puncture protection on the commute.

Michael
EDIT: The above does not of course translate to knobblies!

Reactions: D8ve

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Actually recent thinking is that wider tyres can be quicker. That's a bit of a generalisation but they do appear to have lower rolling resistance, all other things being equal. Here is Schwalbe's answer as to why wider tyres roll better than narrow ones, and here's the testing from Bicycle Quarterly. I'm just converting a flat bar road bike at the moment which already comes with 35mm slicks but I'll probably take them off and put on a set of 40mm Vittoria Hyper ultra-fast touring tyres for a bit more comfort and puncture protection on the commute.

Michael
EDIT: The above does not of course translate to knobblies!
Yes, I have seen the info from Schwalbe, although I expect a lot of people refuse to believe it.

In the same way many cyclists think a shallow tread deflects water.

It doesn't, a bicycle cannot aquaplane so a slick tyre offers marginally more grip on a wet road than a treaded one, because there is more tyre compound in contact with the road.

What the the tread will do is offer grip on loose top surfaces, such as cinder tracks.

Kvothe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2014
Hi all,

I've finally started my conversion.

However, I seem to have run into a small problem.

I have the cassette removal tool and the chain whip. But I can't use them to tighten the cassette on the motor wheel.
(See attached images)
I could try with a wrench, but im not too sure about it.
I'm also not sure how I could remove it in the future if required.

Any ideas?

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

with my CST motor (not an oxydrive kit, but the same), I removed the cassette and the nut on the axle. I then assembled the cassette. I put a couple of washers on the axle, just enough to lift the nut above the cassette, which gives enough to get a spanner on to nip it up and give clearance between the frame and the cassette. Then put the anti-rotation washer the other way up outboard of the drop-out.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013

Kvothe

Dec 14, 2014
Thanks d8veh and awol!
I've managed to solve the issue. The conversion is going great so far.
I wish the instruction manual was a little more detailed though.
I'm having some issues with the front derailleur. But I think I just need to do some adjustment.
One potentially important problem is that, my bike comes with hydraulic disc brakes. I'm not supposed to install the levers that come with the kit right?
Does this mean that the brake lever cable coming out from the lcd screen wouldn't be connected to anything?

I've also ordered the lights recommended by d8veh in the Lights again thread. (thanks again d8veh!)
Need to figure out how to connect it to the battery though.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you have hydraulic brakes, you can't use the levers that come with the kit. You'd have to do some DIY to convert to your levers.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I dismantled the lever and used the reed switch/ sensor on my rear brake plus a magnet and voila job done. I briefly mention it on p12 of this thread.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I dismantled the lever and used the reed switch/ sensor on my rear brake plus a magnet and voila job done. I briefly mention it on p12 of this thread.
Got any pic's Nealh?
I am considering a go at this idea soon.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
D

Deleted member 4366

If it came to a dispute, Woosh could send you a letter to confirm that it's a 250w motor. If it were mine, I'd just stick a bit of sticky-backed aluminium tape over the marking to avoid difficult questions. I made a load of labels for such occasions, but I can't find them just now. If I do, I'll send you one.

D

Deleted member 4366

That looks very nice. I expect it's pretty fast too,

Kvothe

Dec 14, 2014
Thanks D8veh!
Ive only done around 35 miles on it so far.
Most of it on speed setting 2 and 3.
I wanted to average around 15-17 mph.
But yes its pretty quick.
Its still missing the brake cut off switch. I haven't figured out how to incorporate it yet.
Hence why I'm taking it easy.

D

Deleted member 4366

Just in case you don't know because it is a bit different to other bikes, there's 3 power levels (eco, normal and sport) which govern current to the motor, and six speed levels that limit the maximum speed, making 18 speed/power combinations. The throttle is also limited by the six speed settings. To test the maximum speed, you have to have level 6 sport with the speed set as high as possible in the advanced setting.

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
New Oxydrive conversion: help please with this maintenance code:

Just converted my wife's bike, my second Oxydrive conversion. All has gone well, and on first testing seems ok. However on switching on, the LCD goes through its normal first two screens, then sticks on this one with the maintenance code 09 being displayed Any ideas please.

Attachments

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
Many thanks. I looked at the link and couldn't see anything on error codes etc. Which connector has Tx and Rx in it?