Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

The Oxydrive kits have the Higo connector. You'll be lucky to find another throttle with it. If you want a different throttle, you'll probably have to cut off the connectors and splice the the three wires together, which is easy enough if you have a soldering iron.

dbar

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2013
The Oxydrive kits have the Higo connector. You'll be lucky to find another throttle with it. If you want a different throttle, you'll probably have to cut off the connectors and splice the the three wires together, which is easy enough if you have a soldering iron.
Thanks for that. I will probably give it a go as it will make it a lot easier to mount my normal shifters and brakes.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Dear all, I have a curious nonelectric problem - the rim tape/rubber on the oxydrive rim is not designed for the 10 atmospheres pressure of the 700c 23 tyres - it causes punctures around the inner spoke holes - I replaced it with another rubber rim tape with more punctures. Does anyone know what else I could try? Many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

It's the same tape on all the other kits and Oxygen MTBs. AFAIK, you're the only one with punctures. Are you sure that you don't have a crappy tube. I bought one from Ebay that kept puncturing on the inside. I thought it was the rim tape that was doing it, but when I replaced the tube, I had no more punctures.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
It's the same tape on all the other kits and Oxygen MTBs. AFAIK, you're the only one with punctures. Are you sure that you don't have a crappy tube. I bought one from Ebay that kept puncturing on the inside. I thought it was the rim tape that was doing it, but when I replaced the tube, I had no more punctures.
it may well be crappy tubes (i did the usual thing of buying the cheapest tubes i could find on ebay), but to be fair, they work on the front wheel and before it was electrified on both - i think others may not have problems because they run at lower pressure - I'm not complaining about the rim - i have another bike with similar rims (similar internal spoke holes, similar rim tape) but fat 28 tyres operating at lower pressure (6 atmospheres) and there isnt a problem - so i supect im running tubes that are simply too high pressure for this kind of set up (if i could fit fatter tyres on a racer it would have been good, but its not an option either with spacing), many thanks

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
As it was a nice day today, I took my oxydriven giant out on a cross country jaunt sticking to trails and tracks and all was going really well until...
I got my first puncture in many years today, on my rear tyre (smart Sam with schwalbe innnertube) on the CST wheel.
It happened as I was riding over some very rough and muddy tracks and a long way from home. As I had tightened up the axle with a long handled socket wrench I could not for the life of me undo the nuts with my compact tool kit. I still (habitually) carry a spare tube rather than a puncture kit so had to try and remove the rear wheel.
I ended up muddied and bloodied and very frustrated so had to phone in a favour from a neighbour to come and pick me and the bike up.
I guess this is one of the main limitations of a hub drive and as I had not had a puncture for such a long time I didn't think I would today... Typical!
I am considering slime tubes, does anyone have any experience with these apart from they're heavy?

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Slime experience appears to vary, although it seems to work better on large volume tyres, such as yours.

A snake tube is another option, although if the existing tube is a traditional one, you will need to carry a craft knife to slit it to remove it.

Smart Sam tyres are quite light, there is now a Smart Sam Plus which has a stronger puncture prevention belt.

I have a snake tube for my Rose - hub gear so similar wheel removal aggro.

Not had to deploy it yet, but others on here have reported they work well enough.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/gaadi-butyl-atb-inner-tube-schrader-valve-40-mm-for-622635-x-37-42--700-x-35-40-c/aid:717380

D

Deleted member 4366

A puncture kit costs £1 in the pound shop and 99p in the...errr...99p shop. You don't have to take the wheel off to fix a puncture. Just slip the tyre off one side and pull the tube out to fix it. It normally takes about 10 minutes and you're on your way again.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
A puncture kit costs £1 in the pound shop and 99p in the...errr...99p shop. You don't have to take the wheel off to fix a puncture. Just slip the tyre off one side and pull the tube out to fix it. It normally takes about 10 minutes and you're on your way again.
Yes... and at a quid for potential mobility, I should have known better. I guess that as I've always had qr hubs on both road and off road bikes so I just forgot that the inevitable was long overdue... Fixed now though and a bottle of vino to my neighbour.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, the mobile phone is the most useful tool when you have a puncture. I was about 10 miles from home when my tyre blew off. I fixed the puncture and put it back on, but it blew off again after about 100 meters without a puncture. That was a Marathon Plus BTW. Luckily, my good friend Steve was sble to rescue me.

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
Some pictures of my Oxydrive front wheel conversion. Great first ride today, just 7 miles, but almost 900 ft climbed, and very pleasantly surprised at not being out of breath at all!image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
D

Deleted member 4366

That was a bargain. You even got the pedal sensor to fit. You just need some mudguards to finish it off. I can recommend SKS Beavertails at about £14 a pair. They're dead easy to fit because they don't have stays.

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
Yeah, see my previous entries a few pages back. You'll see a link to where I bought them from. I found that several worked, as long as they weren't Shimano!

morsmana

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
That was a bargain. You even got the pedal sensor to fit. You just need some mudguards to finish it off. I can recommend SKS Beavertails at about £14 a pair. They're dead easy to fit because they don't have stays.
Thanks, I've been looking at mudguards and at SKS in particular, haven't seen the Beavertails, so I'll look them up

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Dear all, I have a curious nonelectric problem - the rim tape/rubber on the oxydrive rim is not designed for the 10 atmospheres pressure of the 700c 23 tyres - it causes punctures around the inner spoke holes - I replaced it with another rubber rim tape with more punctures. Does anyone know what else I could try? Many thanks
dear all, a quick follow up, wiggle sells velox tape (very good IMHO) on sale at the moment
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/velox-rim-tape/
it cured the problem of 10 bar inner tubes and large internal spoke holes, and as any fellow virgo will know, it's deeply satisfying to fix stuff properly

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Are you seriously running 146psi?

I know you've converted a road bike and have narrow tyres, but that seems an awful lot.

Is there a pressure range stamped on the tyre sidewall?