Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Hi,

unfortunately my motor (front wheel) from Oxydrive kit suddenly stopped to work couple of days ago.

I have used the bike for months without any problem, (the kit is still under warranty) but suddenly the motor was completely silent.

Needless to say, I haven't changed anything since last time it worked fine (last sunday).

As usual, I switch the battery on, then I power on the display but the engine is not working at all.

I don't use the PAS, always used the throttle: now when I turn the throttle nothing happens, the wheel doesn't move at all.
Tried to turn the wheel by hand, to see if in this case the wheel could start turning with the motor, no way.

I checked all connections to controller, throttle and wheel and they are perfectly in place

I have the impression that for few seconds the number 7 appeared on the top right corner of the display, but I was not able to reproduce this.

I don't think I can check easily this kit for shorts ... the pins in the connectors being SO CLOSE together, which would make a short almost certain!
I suspect the issue is with the Hall sensors, but I may be wrong.

Could you please tell me what I can do to find the source of the problem ?

I have already sent a mail to Oxydrive support (Andrew), hopefully they are coming back to me quite soon....

thanks
Daniele
Brake cutoff sensor stuck on?
Do you have a brake symbol on the LCD?

Reactions: daniele
D

Deleted member 4366

Most likely the throttle itself. Connect the peal sensor and twizzle the magnet disc against the sensor to see if it works. There's four combinations of direction (2) and magnet disc orientation (2). Only one works, so you have to try them all if you don't have the instructions for how to install it.

I can't remember if the PAS has a red LED that flashes when the pedals turn. If it does, but the light dioesn't come on, you have a problem with your wiring or the controller.

I doubt very much that there's anything wrong with your motor. A faulty hall sensor would cause juddering, jamming, humming, twitching or rough running.

Don't forget that neither the throttle not PAS work on level zero.

daniele

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2016
France, Versailles
Hi Awol,
I am not using "Brake cutoff", so I don't think this is the issue.....thanks anyway!

Hi D8veh,
I'll run this test on PAS as soon as I can!
Hopefully this will confirm (or not...) that the issue is on the throttle.
Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Error code 07 if that is what you briefly saw is ' Motor stalling ' according to my list of Oxy error codes.

daniele

Feb 7, 2016
France, Versailles
Just tested the PAS, I noticed the following:
- Turning the disk forward, the sensor outputs a pulse signal and a RED LED indicator flashes on the sensor.
- Turning the disk backward, the sensor outputs a low level signal, the RED LED indicator is not lit.
In both cases the wheel doesn't move, the engine stalls.
So the PAS is not the issue in my case.....:(

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It may be a controller issue. Could it be a blown fet or a cap.
Any funny smells from the controller.
Andrew when he gets back to you will have more of an idea.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

daniele

Feb 7, 2016
France, Versailles
This is the display showing '7' on the right hand corner.
It appeared just after powering up the display.
I haven't done anything special to obtain it.
And honestly I don't know how to reproduce it....display error msg.jpg
As Nealh said, this is supposed to indicate 'motor stalled'.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
'Motor stalled' as I see it is that you were probably in too higher gear and thus caused the stalling Or either a fault has occurred in the motor or the controller which may be out of your control.

My cst kit has 2121 miles on it now and has been faultless, only throwing up 05 brake or 06 lv codes, even being in the wrong gear has never seemed to phase it.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Darn it spoke to soon :(. 23 miles today and near to home throttle 02 error cropped up and drive was intermittent 3 times before no drive at all. Tried a new throttle no luck, error code still present ,too wet and also poor light to do any more today. Other possibility is that the pas sensor may be faulty rather then a controller issue, somewhere I have a spare pas or two.
Also emailed Andrew so waiting to see his reply.

daniele

Feb 7, 2016
France, Versailles
Darn it spoke to soon :(. 23 miles today and near to home throttle 02 error cropped up and drive was intermittent 3 times before no drive at all. Tried a new throttle no luck, error code still present ,too wet and also poor light to do any more today. Other possibility is that the pas sensor may be faulty rather then a controller issue, somewhere I have a spare pas or two.
Also emailed Andrew so waiting to see his reply.
Hi Nealh, sorry to hear that you have now similar issue to mine :(
I also wrote and called Andrew, waiting anxiously for his reply....

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't know about the Oxydrive, but other bikes give a throttle error when the throttle is out of range, i.e. not zero on start up or above 4v any other time. I would guess water in the throttle. Water in it could cause it to go to 5v. Does the PAS work with the throttle disconnected?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't know about the Oxydrive, but other bikes give a throttle error when the throttle is out of range, i.e. not zero on start up or above 4v any other time. I would guess water in the throttle. Water in it could cause it to go to 5v. Does the PAS work with the throttle disconnected?
No PAS not working .
Throtte swapped over for a new unused one but error code still present.

Reactions: daniele

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
On my oxydrive kit bike, I inadvertently disconnected my throttle cable the other day. No indication, other than the throttle not working until reconnected. All else worked ok with the throttle disconnected.

D

Deleted member 4366

Which Oxydrive kit is it, Neal?

My guess is that you have water somewhere thats shorting the 5v line. If you disconnect the PAS, does the error code go?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Which Oxydrive kit is it, Neal?

My guess is that you have water somewhere thats shorting the 5v line. If you disconnect the PAS, does the error code go?
I won't get to the bottom of the issue this time round as the error has now cleared and all is working as normal again, after the ride as normal I parked the bike in the garage and has sat for 5hrs in quite warm atmosphere. It does look like moisture was the culprit and as D8ve has said had affected the 5v line, not sure the throttle was the culprit as a new dry throttle didn't cure it straight away or with in 15-20 mins so yes possible moisture may have got in to the PAS line.
Weather here today for my ride very fine mizzle and very low cloud base causing very misty near fog conditions.
P.S
Thanks for the input D8ve have to wait for a nice day now so I can check the PAS sensor line at both ends but think the line in at the sensor could be a weak point which gets well and truly wet. Iha ve some butyl flexible sealant which should do a good water proofing job.

Last edited:
  • Informative