Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ok...cheers.
I've ordered a kmc 9 speed for about 12 quid. Kmc seem to get good reviews. Doesn't break the bank but not the cheapest either.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
So, I put the new chain on, adjusted the gears on the stand. Went for a test ride, all fine except in 9th gear if you exert a lot of leg power, it jumps. No problem in other gears....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
So, I put the new chain on, adjusted the gears on the stand. Went for a test ride, all fine except in 9th gear if you exert a lot of leg power, it jumps. No problem in other gears....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Couple of pics showing chain position in 2nd and 9th gear...maybe the chain is too long...

D

Deleted member 4366

It looks about right to me. Check the high gear end-stop is set right. If that doesn't fix it, you can increase the tension a bit using that screw on the back of the derailleur.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
It looks about right to me. Check the high gear end-stop is set right. If that doesn't fix it, you can increase the tension a bit using that screw on the back of the derailleur.
Cheers D8veh
Turned the high stop in a turn or 2, it did have some spare movement by the looks of it...will test it out properly tomorrow when I'm back to work

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Still jumping in 9th gear. Its manageable, but will no doubt start to irritate the hell out of me. Ive not tried to increase the tension yet, will give that a try on my way home tonight.

If that fails to fix it, Im guessing it will be the rear cassette that needs replacing?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Is the motor power cable restricting the movement of the rear mech?

Looks like it might be.

Another possibility is a slightly bent rear mech hanger - it may have been out of true since you got the bike and become a bit more so recently.

They are relatively cheap to replace.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Is the motor power cable restricting the movement of the rear mech?

Looks like it might be.

Another possibility is a slightly bent rear mech hanger - it may have been out of true since you got the bike and become a bit more so recently.

They are relatively cheap to replace.
Ah...I see what you mean...maybe the mech isn't going high up enough in 9th gear?
I think the hangar is ok.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Not to labour the point, but a slightly out of true hanger can cause gears to skip.

It will look fine to the naked eye.

You can get straightening tools, but there are those who say even they won't true the hanger to the factory tolerance required.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Okay, cheers. I will have another close look when I get home from work today. If i cant see anything, and cant change it, I'll try and find a decent local shop to have a look, rather than spend money on things that possibly arent broken

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You could sidestep the problem by putting a bigger ring on the front.

Raising the gearing a couple of notches would mean you could use 7th and 8th for speed.

No harm in having the extra teeth doing the driving.

First would also be higher, but that may not matter unless you do really steep hills.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
You could sidestep the problem by putting a bigger ring on the front.

Raising the gearing a couple of notches would mean you could use 7th and 8th for speed.

No harm in having the extra teeth doing the driving.

First would also be higher, but that may not matter unless you do really steep hills.
Makes sense as I dont really using much lower than 3rd, occasionally 2nd. But then Id just be complicating things more for myself with how to change the front ;)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ok, so before I rode home, I tightened the tension screw in quite a bit. Still jumping in top gear.

When I got home, I watched the video again on home to setup and adjust your gears, and followed it through again from scratch, setting the high and low first and resetting the gear cable.

Quick test ride, and it still jumps in 9th.

Out of interest, what would happen if your chain was actually a link or 2 two long compared to the one you replaced?

I recounted the links on the old chain, and including the open end, it was 112......the new chain was 116, I actually removed 3 including the open end...should I have removed one or 2 more than that?

Other than that, Im stumped.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Forgot to add, the gear cable isnt the smoothest, so will be changing that tomorrow, but doubt that is the cause of the problem.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Check all the chain links and make sure there are non which are even a tiny bit tight also check between the 8th and 9th rings in case of a foreign object causing the jumping.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
How many teeth are actually engaging on that cog? Is that an 11t cog?

Is that cable letting the derailleur spring up fully, don`t have it getting in the way. Possibly shortening the chain would give you more tension and an extra tooth on the cog.

Had a similar problem with a cheapy 11 - 34t cassette, changing to a 12 - 32t sram cured the problem

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Check all the chain links and make sure there are non which are even a tiny bit tight also check between the 8th and 9th rings in case of a foreign object causing the jumping.
Will double check that in the morning, cheers.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
How many teeth are actually engaging on that cog? Is that an 11t cog?

Is that cable letting the derailleur spring up fully, don`t have it getting in the way. Possibly shortening the chain would give you more tension and an extra tooth on the cog.

Had a similar problem with a cheapy 11 - 34t cassette, changing to a 12 - 32t sram cured the problem
Yes, its an 11t.......not actually sure how many are engaging it...will have a look in the morning.
I undid the plastic retaing clip on the cable and moved it out of the way on the way home, so dont think it is that. Having said that, its always been in the same position as Ive not had to move it.

I guess my first option then is to drop another couple of links from the chain and see what happens

Related Articles

Advertisers