Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

D

Deleted member 4366

The mystery is solved. When you reassembled the motor into the clutch, you didn't ensure that the woodruff key fed into its slot, so it got knocked out or fell out into the area of the gears. It then jammed a gear so that it couldn't turn, which means that the normally reversed direction of the gear couldn't happen, so the motor turned the wheel in the opposite direction. It's a bit like when you run your car with the wheels off the ground. If you hold one of the driven wheels still, the other one turns backwards instead of forwards.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
The mystery is solved. When you reassembled the motor into the clutch, you didn't ensure that the woodruff key fed into its slot, so it got knocked out or fell out into the area of the gears. It then jammed a gear so that it couldn't turn, which means that the normally reversed direction of the gear couldn't happen, so the motor turned the wheel in the opposite direction. It's a bit like when you run your car with the wheels off the ground. If you hold one of the driven wheels still, the other one turns backwards instead of forwards.

Sort of makes sense...like a LSD on a car then?

I dont recall seeing any woodruff key to be honest...the spindle seemed to just slot in easy, so assumed everything was ok.
I didnt plan on removing anything more than the front cover from the motor, but with the action of pulling the hub, it pulled out a bit when as the hub came out, I guess thats when everything went wrong...

It was only when I had the wheel going backward problem that I took the whole motor assembly out of the wheel centre, and still didnt see anything out of the ordinary...but then again, I wouldnt know what to look for anyway.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that must be one in a blue moon.
Still, Bluenoes is very lucky that it did not damage anything.
It could have got stuck to the stator for example.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, the bike is still with Oxygen at the moment.

Looks like there is a bigger problem with it, which they are trying to resolve. Possible damage to the motor.
Not sure where that is going to leave me, but regretting ever touching the dam hub now.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't worry. He's getting there. It turned out that here was damage to one of the gears, so he's putting in a replacement clutch assembly.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Well, the bike is still with Oxygen at the moment.

Looks like there is a bigger problem with it, which they are trying to resolve. Possible damage to the motor.
Not sure where that is going to leave me, but regretting ever touching the dam hub now.
Get yersel' a Bosch bike - slap a bearing in every few months and you'll be cooking on gas.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Don't worry. He's getting there. It turned out that here was damage to one of the gears, so he's putting in a replacement clutch assembly.
Thanks Dave

I spoke to Dale earlier, ive tried not to ring and pester him all the time.
I know he's been beavering away at it, and probably really frustrated with it.
I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for a good result.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Get yersel' a Bosch bike - slap a bearing in every few months and you'll be cooking on gas.
Thanks Rob, but Im more than happy with the Oxygen....4000 odd miles in, with the relatively few problems Ive had in the 10 months Ive had it, I doubt there would be many other bikes that would come out as well, especially for the price....and compared to other tatt I ve had in the past ;)

Id still happily get another one when the time comes to change it

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
4,000 miles - not bad on one clutch.
I'd be happy even if I had to pay for another motor wheel.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks Rob, but Im more than happy with the Oxygen....4000 odd miles in, with the relatively few problems Ive had in the 10 months Ive had it, I doubt there would be many other bikes that would come out as well, especially for the price....and compared to other tatt I ve had in the past ;)

Id still happily get another one when the time comes to change it
Aye, it's done a bit better than I thought it would, and with your cross-country use you probably would get through a bearing or two on a Bosch bike.

Unless their rigorously engineered fix of a plastic ring and clag loads of grease on works.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, I was dreading the phone call....
But, brilliant news. Dale has been doing major surgery on the bike for a couple of days, and its now back up and running. New clutch in the motor and also a new hub which was the part that caused me all my trauma :eek:

I know to my knowledge he has had to strip it all down at least 3 times, and put it back together again.

Going to pick the bike up tomorrow as I am off work for the dayanyway, and will be getting Dale a beer or 5 for all his efforts :D

There were a couple of prospective buyers in the shop last weekend when I dropped my bike in...they asked me do I recommend the bike...of course, I said "just buy one"....that recommendation stands even more now.

And D8veh, really appreciate all of your extra help and input too...and everyone else who offered advice and suggestions.

The only thing I would say to anyone who has a similar issue with the hub......leave it to an expert....

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
The bike is back in action :)

Picked it up this morning, had a nice chat with Dale and Damien at Oxygen while I was there, really nice guys.
Cant thank them enough for sorting this out for me....in all honesty, they could have said that will cost you a new motor as you screwed it up.....but all credit to them, they have basically rebuilt the inside of the motor hub for me.

Quick mile run on it when I got home, rides as sweet as a nut, and seems so quiet, and really pulls like a train. Dont know if its just a placebo effect, but Ill take it.

Very happy, actually looking forward to going to work on Monday just to ride the bike!!

• :D
Reactions: Muddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I’m sure both Dale and Damien at Oxygen genuinely are lovely guys and very, very helpful.

But if you hadn’t kept a very open, running public review of your Oxygen bike with the power to condemn Oxygen Bikes to instant damnation for failure to live up to your high reliability expectations, after an exceptionally high 4000 miles of daily use over just 10 months in all weather conditions, would any manufacturer really be so willing to spend days of their time fixing it for free?

I'm just asking what others are thinking.

The power of Social Media.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I can see where you are coming from....but, speaking to them face to face, and from other stuff posted over social media, Im not the only one they have gone out of their way to help out.
It certainly is an attitude that is an exception rather than the norm in modern customer service, but I believe it is genuine.
I dont think they would have gone to the trouble of rebuilidng the motor/trying to fix it if they just wanted good reviews....it would probably have been a lot simpler just to swap the whole wheel with a new one, and definitly a lot less man hours

Like you say, others may see it differently.

Edit:

I think the fact that it was such a mystery as to what was going on with the wheel spinning the wrong way just gave them a challenge as to understand what was causing it...they have a real genuine interest in bikes, and it was like they wouldnt rest unless they worked out the problem

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
after an exceptionally high 4000 miles of daily use over just 10 months in all weather conditions, would any manufacturer really be so willing to spend days of their time fixing it for free?
The issue I see is not directly concerning the cost of repairs but the expectations of the customers. I usually ask informally what the customers will use the bike for. Most people use the bikes for leisure, then their mileage is not an issue.
If they say 'I want to commute to work, 20 miles away' like the OP. I will then go through with him all the things that he will need to pay attention to to avoid potential troubles (no woman commuter does this kind of mileage). To start with, does he have access to a shelter at work to keep the bike dry? Does he keep the bike indoors? The bike itself has to be well equipped for the intended mileage: hydraulic brakes, stainless chain, puncture proof tyres, Schwalbe innertubes, slime, good pump, grease, dry muc-off lube, etc and who is going to look after the bike.

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Happily for consumers, I suspect suppliers over-estimate the power of social media.

Does anyone really take much notice of what someone, often using a silly made up name, posts on the internet?

Or even someone using a real name such as RobF or Andy?

My limited dealings with John who owns Oxygen gave me the impression of someone who believes in treating customers fairly and well.

So I suspect Andy is right, the service he has received is just the way Oxygen do things rather than part of a plan to achieve positive coverage on here.

• Agree

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
i would agree with what's been said about the guys at Oxygen. I recently took my bike for repair and have been very impressed with their attitude and determination to sort the problem

D

Deleted member 4366

I’m sure both Dale and Damien at Oxygen genuinely are lovely guys and very, very helpful.

But if you hadn’t kept a very open, running public review of your Oxygen bike with the power to condemn Oxygen Bikes to instant damnation for failure to live up to your high reliability expectations, after an exceptionally high 4000 miles of daily use over just 10 months in all weather conditions, would any manufacturer really be so willing to spend days of their time fixing it for free?

I'm just asking what others are thinking.

The power of Social Media.
Oxygen have a long history of exceptional customer services, so this is nothing new. They're not the only ones either. I bet that you'd get similar service from Juicy, Woosh, Volt and Wisper too. In small companies like those, the only way they can compete is on service. It shouldn't take a genius to figure that out.

Everybody is on social media now. No company or person can hide. If you get things wrong, you're going to get slated, so yes, social media has most likely had some affect on Oxygen, but no more than anybody else.

Ultimately, a company is just a name. It's the people in it and their attitudes that make a difference. I know the guys from Oxygen and I'd trust them with my life.

Related Articles

Advertisers