Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
...or is the olive the brass coloured part in the 2 pictures? At first it looks like part of the lever...but now im not so sure

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I know i am answering my questions but....
yes, the olive is inside the lever....it wiggles about a bit, but i cant get it out...looks like something is holding it in?

D

Deleted member 4366

Is the sleeve nut out now? That holds it in. If so, you'd need to hook it out with a bit of stiff wire with the end bent over.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Yes it is...i can see a small hole at the far end of the brass olive....i could maybe get a screw in that to pull it out?

D

Deleted member 4366

You might be able to use it again because it wasn't done up tight enough. Thread onto the brake hose first the rubber cover, then the sleeve nut, then see if you can slide on the olive. If you can, position it about 1cm from the end and push then wiggle and push the hose in until it's right in to the stop. Tighten up the sleeve nut pretty tight, but not enough to strip the thread. Finally, you'll have to put some more brake fluid in and probably have to bleed it.

If you didn't lose too much fluid, it might work enough until you can get it properly sorted. I just had to remove two hoses to horten them, and both woere OK afterwards. I didn't need to bleed them. It must be that the air can rise back up the hose into the resevervoir.

D

Deleted member 4366

The olive starts off bigger than the hose Both the hole in the brake and the end of the sleeve nut are conical. When you tighten the sleeve nut, the cones swage down the olive to make it grip tight on the hose, and the olive seals on the two cones. It could be that the olive is now too small to easily fit over the hose, so you need a new one. They might have them at a local bike shop, otherwise you have to order online.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ok, thanks Dave
I'll have a look around early next week. I can manage on the front brake for a day or two anyway

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Tried a local bike shop this morning, but didnt have any parts in stock, so ordered off wiggle for delivery tomorrow.

Found a useful video for using the kit ive ordered, so should be a peice of cake.

Although inconvenient, its not such a bad issue to happen as i will have learned how to maintain hydraulic brakes ;)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Successfully fixed the rear brake, went together nice and easily. Bleeding them following that video was a bit of a mare....he says pump fluid in, then suck it back, rinse and repeat until no bubbles....well, i must have pumped the whole bottle through and then sucked it back out again 3 times, still bubbles.....not convinced sucking back is the right thing. I dont recall bleeding car brakes like that.

Anyway, to complete it, i just pumped the whole bottle through continually until no bubbles came out at the reservoir end. Closed it all up, and it works fine.

Gave the bike a good look over while up on the stand, followed by a good clean. Tightened up the kick stand bracket as one of the bolts had started to work its way loose, and was probably the cause of the annoying rattle that was developing.

No commute tomorrow, and hopefully my Suntour seatpost will arrive and give my backside some relief!

Also added a small bag near the stem to put keys, energy drinks etc in that are a royal PITA in my usual pannier bags. Also space for my mobile phone and ecig for a quick puff at the traffic lights :)

2017-07-16 12.25.38.jpg 2017-07-16 13.31.35.jpg 2017-07-16 13.31.43.jpg 2017-07-16 13.31.49.jpg 2017-07-16 13.31.55.jpg

Reactions: Warwick

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Seatpost has arrived this morning, will take it for a quick test shortly....no cover came with it, anyone know where to get one?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hard to say if it will improve the butt pains over a 2 mile ride, but it's fitted now.
Will have Allen key at hand tomorrow as it will need some tinkering no doubt.

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ryan Yorke

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Loving the bike at the moment, it really is a pleasure to ride.

Apart from the bloody seat! It is definitely nicer with the suntour post on, and hopefully once my butt recovers from the sores of the last week, the seat will be fine, or it will be time to hunt for a decent one.

Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Seatpost has arrived this morning, will take it for a quick test shortly....no cover came with it, anyone know where to get one?
I got mine from Rosebikes in Germany. Unless you have other stuff to buy, the P&P will make it rather expensive.

By the way, should you ditch your saddle, I'll have it if you're selling. It's the same as mine & my backside fits it perfectly.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Cheers Warwick...will let you know about the seat. Im just going to have to pad out my butt as much as I can till it recovers, then I'll know if the seat is okay now its got the suntour on

Related Articles

Advertisers