Pedelecs reported as an attack site

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Your posts were moved to the '.attack site...' thread to keep them all in one place.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Your posts were moved to the '.attack site...' thread to keep them all in one place.

'Attack site' sounds a bit sort of OTT, exciting ? dangerous ? when really we are all just electric bike enthusiasts..........not urban guerillas........still I suppose we can all occasionally live vicariously :D :D

Lynda :)

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Yes, ok Roger, stop bragging :D and let us in on your secret.....I have windows 7/chrome and am not very technical but did a full avg thingy this morning and all seems well......anything else a non techno can do......or are we all in the lap of the gods ........and Russ ?

Keep touching your wood :D

Lynda :)
I haven't done anything special. I have AVG too, but haven't had to run a special scan.

When the original problem occurred, I had to except pedelecs.co.uk from the list of blocked sites for a while so that I could read it, but since then nothing has happened, and I have not had the Nazi email!

Still touching wood, which is better than touching cloth, which is what I would be doing if I were to suffer an onslaught by Nazi hackers...

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Women chaining themselves up outside of parliament demanding equal voting rights was also illegal, but then you sound like the sort of angry tabloid reader who'd be opposed to that also.

Your message brings to mind an urban legend in which a bamboozled computer owner calls a technical support line to complain that his computer won't work during a power cut. Perhaps you'd consider putting your computer back in its box? :p
I did take the time to check the message header and confirm that it came from the true webmasters email address and server that Pedelecs uses, so was a genuine message from this forum, rather than something that had been spoofed.

I'd suggest that the check I did before posting here again after a long absence (looking at the header and seeing that it originated from s15341672.onlinehome-server.info with the correct German IP address of 87.106.1.164 that Pedelecs uses) was perhaps a little more than your send-up might suggest and probably a little more than many average PC users would have done.

I now realised that it was the forum that was attacked, based on messages posted here since my post, so apologise unreservedly to Russ for believing that it was he who had originated this rather unpleasant broadcast.

I regret to say that having popped back in here and read some of the posts and the tone of some of the replies has reinforced my view that I was right to stop posting here a couple of years ago, after having been a fairly regular contributor here since 2007.

I still regularly ride both my ebikes, with the alloy folder I built a couple of years ago getting so much use since I retired that it's clocked up enough miles for it to be in need of bit of an overhaul (it's on it's second chain and gear set now, and fourth set of tyres). The little rear Bafang motor is as nearly as good as new though, although the internal gears are getting a little noisy now so I suspect they will need replacing before too long.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
No, I sold the 'bent a while ago now,, flecc, as it wasn't getting that much use. I still have the Tongxin motor that I fitted to it, but unfortunately the controller for it blew when I was trying to do a favour for someone on another forum, and I've not got around to trying to get a new sensorless controller for it.

Rather perversely, I find that the alloy folder I built as just a "back of the car ebike" gets more use than any other bike I've owned. It really is a quite remarkable little ebike, but if you'd suggested to me a couple of years ago that I'd be riding a 20" wheel folder every day I'd have scoffed a bit! It's still on its original set of model aircraft LiPo cells, too, and they seem to be every bit as good now as they were when I first built the bike. The little "fuel gauge" amp hours used meter I built has been a God send, as I can run the pack down to nearly empty. It's also been useful for seeing how much power can be saved by judicious use of the throttle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not at all surprised Jeremy, having ended up with a 20" folder as my main bike too. That's the Q-bike, a heavily modified eZee Quando that I reported on in the forum back in 2007. I'd intended that to be as universal as possible, and so it has turned out.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I regret to say that having popped back in here and read some of the posts and the tone of some of the replies has reinforced my view that I was right to stop posting here a couple of years ago, after having been a fairly regular contributor here since 2007.
I am sorry to see that you feel that way; I remember your posts. I don't think (and I know that these things are impossible to quantify) that the tone of the forum has changed so much over the years. There has always been a mixture of stuff on here - mostly useful, some "robust", but very little to scare the horses, really.

Are you sure you won't reconsider?

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Although I also got that email it's not as bad as the time that Chainreactioncycles was hacked late last year - that time they used my credit card to buy lots of stuff. I've just logged in for the first time in a few days and all seems to be OK so fingers crossed.