Small Battery Bargain.....?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thank you letting us know.

I wonder why they bring the price as they have discontinued this line.

KeithH

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2013
essex
First test ride today using a single battery. Connected with a lash up very similar to JHRUKs (thanks) but using a chopped up plastic chopping board rather than wood.
Voltage sag was very marked and much shorter range than I expected with 120+ wattH. Recover from the sag was very slow.
Next test will be with 2 batteries in parallel.
Certainly they are adequate as a get u home reserve but based on today I would not suggest using them as a primary battery.
Keith

PS used on a front hub cyclotricity 250 watt kit with 1.5mm cabling and a 15 amp fuse. Nothing got warm!

D

Deleted member 4366

Although it wouldn't affect performance, 15A is a bit low for the fuse. Your controller may be 15A, so a 25A one might be better. The BMS will have over-current for the battery, so you only need the fuse to protect against a dead short.

KeithH

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2013
essex
Thanks d8veh. 25 amps it will be!
I'm protecting all the batteries with individual fuses and planning a 3 into 1 harness. The fuses make a good switch as I'm not convinced my soldering on the Deans is up to repeated disconnection.

Has anyone some further thoughts on running different capacity batteries in parallel given that they all have a BMS?
I became confused by some of the earlier postings (an age thing) so at the moment am keeping the 9ah battery completely separate.
K

D

Deleted member 4366

You can run different capacity batteries in parallel, but they must be approximately the same voltage when you connect them and you should disconnect them for charging otherwise one will charge the other through the discharge leads, which might be OK or not depending on how the BMSs work.

KeithH

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2013
essex
Tried 2 in parallel today. Now much better with less sag although not as much "pull" up a slight incline as the original 9ah bottle battery. The (cold) rain stopped any idea of a range assessment.
K

Reactions: patpatbut

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Thanks jhruk for the link,cheers to paulhipwood for the chopping board idea.and thanks everyone else for great advice.

KeithH

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2013
essex
hi Craiggor
looks good.
Much neater than my lash up which has ended up with a cats cradle of wires.
K
(I must learn how to do photos)

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Seems strong enough to mount to bottle Mount's.But i have a frame bag that i will put 2 in.i'am using the tapatalk app to post pics.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Thin plastic on top to cover terminals.wires no longer cross over as in first pic.Paulhipwood is part of your plan to put wires where I have paced the pens,and sandwich them with another 2 layers.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I found out three of this battery fit em3ev frame bag perfectly. You can get this bag from Paul

Reactions: craiggor

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Video on you tune.showing inside of battery and charger.if I could put a link up I would. "36v 4ah battery"

• Useful
Reactions: BG bicycle

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Its not my video.I think there will be another video about that.I will post on here if he puts it on.