Spot the difference...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
David,

The bikes are still bought with all the components - which are packed in smaller cartons.
If you are completely assembling in the UK Hatti, and you have control of the production, then you should make that clear to your customers, I think this is a massively important point. I also believe that as long as you finish the frame in the UK you can describe your bike as Made in Britain which would be a very positive move for the British electric bike industry.

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The 40% figure actually comes from UK customs,if more than 40% of the input is from EEC suppliers then import duty from China is reduced from 6% to 3.8%,but that would be a difficult battle with customs. If it looked like a non electric bike they would hit with a 48% anti-dumping duty!
David Miall has highlighted that this union jack logo problem is starting to become further spread amongst bikes which clearly are not entitled to carry it.
My first job on Monday morning is a letter to trading standards to ask their view on this important point. If they decide that the union jack logo on a product should be a UK manufactured product then the industry will have to fall in line,such fines from trading standards can be up to 10% of revenue so it is foolhardy not to comply.
If they decide that its ok to put a union jack logo on a product,irrespective of the country of origin,provided that the company is UK based,then that will mean that all of us will start putting Union Jack logos on every bike,so the advantage is nullified.
The latter would be a shame because the customer would be deceived by us all.
Dave
Kudoscycles
So Dave, to make this clear, you are saying that you would be prepared to deceive your customers for extra revenue? That is something I would never do, hence very clearly identifying the origin of my bikes, in all my literature, on my web pages and on the bikes.

I am sure you don't mean that?

All the best

David

P.S, Got to go now, my wife is calling me an anorak! Very unfair, this is much better than watching Swansea Chelsea in my book. Off to make Coq au Vin and Tarte Tatin for my guests tonight, British Chicken and apples, French wine, sugar from? Can I say I made it? ;)

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Just had Eureka moment, eZee bikes are "Assembled in Britain" too:D

OK, it's only fitting the pedals and aligning the handlebars, but that is assembly isn't it:(

I think that I am quite justified in getting my 100% British Bull printing set out and making a UJ label with logo stating "Made in Britain" to stick to every bike, totally misleading yes, but the label would be genuinely be Made in Britain.

Moving on to the eZee conversion kits, they are genuinely 100% "Assembled in Britain"

Or maybe this label may be more attractive "Montiert in Großbritannien"

Last edited by a moderator:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
anyway kudos Dave, its not your bikes being cloned is it, no one in their right mind would bother!

Dully noted that some of the more vocal knockers on here, either ride or sell pretty poor bikes...Funny that!:rolleyes::p

kudos Dave you have just been added to my "ignore" list, what a petty and sad man....

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Just had Eureka moment, eZee bikes are "Assembled in Britain" too:D

OK, it's only fitting the pedals and aligning the handlebars, but that is assembly isn't it:(

I think that I am quite justified in getting my 100% British Bull printing set out and making a UJ label with logo stating "Made in Britain" to stick to every bike, totally misleading yes, but the label would be genuinely be Made in Britain.

Moving on to the eZee conversion kits, they are genuinely 100% "Assembled in Britain"

Or maybe this label may be more attractive "Montiert in Großbritannien"
Go for it!

All the best

David ;)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
David,read my posting again,I only wish to have a level playing field for all ebikes but if all that is necessary to have the union jack logo on a bike (or any product for that matter) is to be a UK company,then all food products whatever their source would be allowed to carry the union jack,which is clearly nonsense.
As far as clearly displaying the origin of your products,I have just read the front page of your website,full of british bobbies,much mention of UK based and a big bold Union Jack logo at the top but no mention of chinese sourced or german assembled.
Lets let trading standards make the decision as to who is correct.
Dave
Kudoscycles

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Heavenly...pass me a large G & T plse......

Oop's its not 6pm yet! Well I blame the clocks going back!:D

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I just checked over my Brompton, no Union flag necessary apparently, just relying on a good quality product.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Dully noted that some of the more vocal knockers on here, either ride or sell pretty poor bikes...Funny that!

kudos Dave you have just been added to my "ignore" list, what a petty and sad man....

ROFLMAO.........now those comments really are just too sad for words....... :D :D

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I just checked over my Brompton, no Union flag necessary apparently, just relying on a good quality product.
Now that is really interesting, they obviously have such high confidence in their product that they dont have to rely on subterfuge......good for them :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
sugar from? ;)
If it's Silver Spoon brand, it's British made from British sugar beet, logo on on the pack: "Working with UK Farmers".

If it's Tate and Lyle brand, it's probably made from West Indian sugar cane, but by that British company.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
ROFLMAO.........now those comments really are just too sad for words....... :D :D

Lynda,being a petty and sad man who has led a very sheltered life,I had to look up what ROFLMAO means,just picked myself up! As I am on Eddie's ignore list does that mean that I can respond to Eddie's postings but he cannot read my postings and consequently never respond to them-utopia!
Dave
Kudoscycles

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Ignore List ? is that like sticking your head in the sand, when life gets to tough?

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Seems to me that there is a lot of pedalling going on here, but we are not getting very far up the hill.

We live in a country where manufacturing, and manufacturing areas has been deliberately ignored in the interests of other sectors of the economy and regions of the country. The beneficiaries have been banks, insurance, financiers,landowners, advertisers, retailing, and large areas of South East England,Edinburgh etc.
The losers have been manufacturers, the skilled working class and large areas of the English North and Midlands, Wales and Western Scotland. Some of this decline has been the inevitable and welcome transfer of wealth to the `third world'. But much is the result of manipulation of exchange rates, government policy, and the ludicrous obsession with property ownership.

Instead of arguing about flags and symbols we should be debating how best to ensure the survival and expansion of local production. Perhaps all those fans of German cars might consider a British model. UK bike manufacturers/assemblers should be supported, even though the value of UK input may initially be small. Ask your MPs why the government doesn't intervene to support industry (railways), why investment is concentrated in London (Olympics/Crossrail/Thameslink/Heathrow/Fantasy Island?).

When we have a bike industry again (and all credit to Pashley, Brompton and a few others), then we can worry about what flag to stick on it.

Bill

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Ignore List ? is that like sticking your head in the sand, when life gets to tough?
not quite..simply tuning out annoying interference

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Just spent a little time Googling the use of the Union Flag or Jack apparently both are OK now on sea or land. I Couldn't find any guidance one way or another.

We used the flag to differentiate ourselves from those who simply buy bikes from China and stamp it with a Logo. We are proud to be a British firm and really did not think use of our flag to demonstrate this would stir up such negative emotion. Unfortunately I can't work out from some of more passionate comments posted today whether the real problem is that we used the flag before anyone else in the electric bike industry or if there is a real feeling against it's use by anyone who does not have a 100% British product made in Britain. What has really confused me is one particular poster admitting that although they completely disagree with it's use, they are prepared to use it to gain commercial advantage!

It is sad that a British company cannot be proud of it's heritage and demonstrate that pride by using the Union Flag on it's product with out experiencing such hostility. I had hoped that through the Olympic games we as a country had reclaimed the flag and were ready again to fly it with pride.

May I pick the Forums brains?

Would anyone here be more inclined to buy a bike because it is sporting the Union Flag? Irrespective of where it is built. Or would it make you less likely to buy? We know all the arguments for and against the use so let's not go there again. It would simply be useful and interesting to know would you be more likely to buy any bike because it had a Union Flag in it's logo?

All the best

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It would make no difference to me if it displayed the flag. My decision would be based solely on the product and how it suited my needs and preferences.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Lynda,being a petty and sad man who has led a very sheltered life,I had to look up what ROFLMAO means,just picked myself up! As I am on Eddie's ignore list does that mean that I can respond to Eddie's postings but he cannot read my postings and consequently never respond to them-utopia!
Dave
Kudoscycles
lol.....and dusted yourself off I hope.....:)

Unfortunately for you Dave he can still choose to read and answer them.....to reach MY level of utopia you have to pee him off SOOO much that he just cannot bear to answer you ever.....now that is TRUE utopia and allows me to really ROFLMAO without any comeback :D :D