Storck Raddar Multitask SE -V- BH Emotion Neo Xtrem. My personal experience.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi, I bought my first E-bike last Saturday, a Neo Xtrem, and my error 13 code popped up after just 3km!

The screen then went blank and the bike had no power at all. After cycling the bike back home, I tracked my issue down to the connector at the console end. It hadn't been tightened and had become loose.

Beyond that slight hiccup, and despite waking up this morning with that "oh no what have I just bought" thought and the sick feeling that goes with it, I really love this bike. :)

Footloose

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2012
My neo had its service. They were not able to reproduce the error 13 problem. I have not had it myself for a few weeks so I was not surprised.
Other interesting things happened during my visit to the bike shop! I will start a separate thread about that..

D

Deleted member 4366

Is that in the motor or in the gears, and what size motor is it (diameter)?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The bike shop called to say that it isn't thankfully in the motor, but I'm afraid that I don't currently have any further info, as they only found the fault today and still have the bike.
It had developed a clonking noise whilst freewheeling or pedalling. I'll post up the full details when I know more. :)

The one thing that has surprised me, is just how much that I'm missing the bike. It has been with the dealer for just over a week, and I'm desperate to get back out on it again. :)

D

Deleted member 4366

It would be interesting to know which motor it was, and what part exactly failed. I'm pretty sure that they still use the BPM2 that has a free-wheel gearset, although I've seen the Dapu motor with cassette(?) on other models. The free-wheels that they put on the BPM2 are pretty cheap, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what went, but it''s not unknown for the whole thread to break off the motor. All these new cassette motors seem to use the same spine and bearings. That's why I'm interested if anything there is suspect.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
my xtreme is in for repair at the moment, replacements include...

(1) bearing replacement - apparently faulty batch of motors assembled with three washers instead of two
(2) cable replacement at display panel
(3) hopefully the courier after he slung it in the back of his van, and it took 8 days to reach bh in stoke from hampshire

little unimpressed with the service and particularly the delays so far, especially as the fault was reported within 48 hours of ownership, but at least i got a loan bike to play with (which i had to true the back wheel on, but thats another story)!

the 2012 neo cross that i have as a loan bike (and that i had before the 2013/14 xtreme) have a motor that rides very differently to the one on the xtreme - though this could be bike design i guess.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
eddie - if you get them to call bh with the serial number of the motor, they'll tell you if it was in the faulty batch....my symptoms were a sound as if the freehub body had failed on a non ebike (loud creaking when pedalling under load)

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
the 2012 neo cross that i have as a loan bike (and that i had before the 2013/14 xtreme) have a motor that rides very differently to the one on the xtreme - though this could be bike design i guess.
I was told the 2013 bikes have a different motor and no regen.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
what was it someone said the other day, regen is making the display regen block come on - it does that pretty well.

the only bike i've ridden with noticable regen was the smart e-bike.

i think the motor is different, i get substantially different ranges, speeds and abilities on the cross than on the xtreme (ok some of it is wheel size and battery i guess, but my xtreme has quasi road tyres on it, and gets almost double the range of the cross....)

D

Deleted member 4366

My guess is that they used the same display as another bike that does have regen. The display detects that the brakes have been activated, so it lights the symbol. It's possible that the controller that goes with the display also has regen, and it gets activated by the brakes, but there's no way the motor can give you anything.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
that makes sense - but its annoyingly lazy design for a bike that is (and priced) as a premium product

( a bit like the inability to switch from kph/km to mph/miles - how hard can that be? )
(not to mention an off-road switch :) )

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I finally have my bike back. :)

After reading the washer issue on here, I phoned the dealer and he contacted BH. The whole wheel was sent back to BH and in their words " a wheel bearing had failed" The dealer looked at me with raised eyes whilst saying this, but he could only quote what he had been told.

Anyway the bike is back, and I can't fault the service that I have received from the dealer and BH.

I'm another who finds it annoying that you can't switch from Km to miles.

Last edited:

maloflora

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2012
I've been having a bit of trouble with my Neo Cross. Two spokes failed and I had to take it back to be repaired. One day after I get it back - one hour's ride later - and two more spokes have broken!

Is this normal? London potholes? Generic problem with hub drives? Or a BH problem?

Thanks!

M

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
its a bh problem on the cross's i think - i don't think they are aligned well - i lost 6 spokes on the first one, and two then another two on the loan ones.

the second time around i spent a lot of time truing the wheel, and used halo spokes (at a massive 25p each ;) ) and it sorted it (touch wood)

my xtreme is back - even better than ever now the motor is replaced and the electrical problem sorted.

I do think bh need to look at quality control on their bikes assembly line - they seem to have quite a lot of problems off the bat, and that leads to a backup in the service folks/parts/etc.

maloflora

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks! I'll take it in to be repaired again, but I'm not sure what to do if it keeps happening.

M

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
as i say, the first time i only did the broken spokes and trued by eye (naughty i know, but i'm lazzzzy) and they pinged again, second time i got out the jig and the tension meter, and its been fine since.

Might be good to get the wheel trued at the same time ?

g'luck :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Does anyone happen to know what the torque setting is for the rear wheel retaining nuts on the Neo Xtrem as I'd like to change the rear tyre.

I've been informed that if I remove the rear wheel, the nuts have to be torqued up correctly to avoid the possibility of damage to the torque sensor.

Last edited: