Mudguards €23.69
Stand €16.70
Freewheel €13.10
BB €13.90
Lock €38.16
Pedals €24.90

Shifters €28.99

Total €1,049.68

The host bike was given to me for free. If I wanted a similar complete e-bike from a shop it would have cost me about 1,795 €.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and trex

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
i seem to recall that when we joined the '' common market'' that was used as an excuse to put up prices. Any opportunity will be seized to raise prices. Some people will be making a lot of money
I wasn't referring to ebike sellers in this post. I tend to think that ebikes are generally good value and reasonably priced, with a few exceptions. Things are obviously going to change after the leave vote, some for the worse and some for the better but I believe it will settle down after a period of time and life will go on. I think that picture of that poor little child in Syria puts things in perspective and we should be glad of what we have and just get on with it.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Plus rack, magura hydraulic front brake, a frame lock and a suspension seat post say £1,225.

Very nice looking bike!

• Agree
Reactions: trex

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Yam dude....I will let you have an insight into the pricing structure behind e-bike importing. Fortunately only a small part of my revenue comes from e-bike sales so I can be more open than others.
A trip round the Shanghai show will reveal that e-bikes cost between 450-600 US dollars,below 450 you are into dubious quality standards,the difference between 450-600 dependent upon specification (battery size/type,motor type,hydraulic brakes etc).
Considering this from the Chinese viewpoint,would you want to collect all the parts together,pay for staff/factory costs and make a profit (usually 50 US dollars per bike),I wouldn't!....I find these ex factory prices still remarkably low.
The minimum quantity you can realistically ship to keep the shipping cost reasonable is 200 units(40 foot container),you are wasting your time shipping 20 footers.
You put your 30% down and pay 70% on BOL,delivery usually 4-6 months.
When the goods hit Felixstowe you have to pay vat + import duty,26% total...you get the vat back at next vat return,maybe 4 months ahead,but the duty goes to the government. On most shipments the vat and duty payment comes to about £20k.
Dealers have to earn 30% profit,which is really not enough to pay for bricks and mortar costs,insurance,rates,staff etc.
Ok,here is the schedule from a 'profiteering' e-bike importer.....
Taking a lower priced bike of 450 US dollars...
450 dollars........at 1.3 to £......FOB price....£346.15
6% duty. 20.76
Shipping cost. 20.00
Landed cost. £386.19
Importer profit. 100.00
Courier ship cost,importer to dealer. 25.00
Dealer cost. £511.19
Dealer profit ,30%. 153.36
Dealer sale. £664.55
20% vat. 132.91
Sale with vat. £797.46

If you look at the Kudos Milano or Verona they are priced at £795.00... Still think we are profiteering?
KudosDave
You haven't mentioned staffing costs, etc. If that's coming out of the £100 profit you'll need to import quite a few containers. Also your costs of going to China etc. Makes e bike sales seem like a hobby / cottage industry.
I get the feeling Yamdude is just winding you up and isn't overly serious.

• Agree
Reactions: trex

evening2005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
UK
When i look at that post...... all i see is a salesman going blah, blah, blah, blah, blah etc etc.
Alright mate, whatever.
But he is not going, "blah blah blah". He has quoted specific figures. You can either dispute them or not bother, but don't dismiss them. He took the trouble to explain and itemise his costs - the very least you can do is to acknowledge the fact that he took the trouble to do it.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
You haven't mentioned staffing costs, etc. If that's coming out of the £100 profit you'll need to import quite a few containers. Also your costs of going to China etc. Makes e bike sales seem like a hobby / cottage industry.
I get the feeling Yamdude is just winding you up and isn't overly serious.
Crockers...you are absolutely right,the £100 profit is not enough to keep marketing going,staff are 'loaned' from another business as are storage etc.
Which is why we need to sell some direct through our website and keep the dealer profit,it answers the reason why many importers only sell direct and do not have dealers. But we know that many customers like a local dealer and are not always happy with buying off the internet.
Kudos would not exist without the support of our parent company,there is a feeling of a bit of a hobby element to it,I personally am very interested in these electric bikes,designing and sourcing them is very interesting.
With regard to Yamdude,I think he was serious,but who was winding up who,not really sure,shame he didn't feel confident to state his idea of a fair price for an electric bike.
The figures are genuine,this is not a product area which you would enter to become a quick millionaire....it sort of reminds me of Branson's joke of how you become a millionaire-you become a billionaire then you buy an airline,hehe!!!!
KudosDave

Last edited:
Reactions: Crockers

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
But he is not going, "blah blah blah". He has quoted specific figures. You can either dispute them or not bother, but don't dismiss them. He took the trouble to explain and itemise his costs - the very least you can do is to acknowledge the fact that he took the trouble to do it.
Who threw you a biscuit Rover...... and i'll dismiss whatever i like thanks.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
So we're all agreed then..... Ebikes are expensive and overpriced and dealers are in fact cashing in on Brexit.
Phew.... glad we got all that sorted.
I think we can agree.
Some people make reasoned arguments.
And some just go blah blah blah...

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
How about from China??
Steve,most Chinese vendors sell in US dollars. I had a couple of suppliers who asked some years ago to sell in pounds,when the pound was more stable than the dollar....the RMB v £ was 9.6 pre Brexit ,post Brexit it fell to 8.6, they are not happy,it can only be a matter of time when they increase the prices to compensate.
KudosDave