Tesco Folding Hopper 20" e-Bike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm just put off by the weight of the bike and the thoughts of carrying any bike at all during rush hour on a train since it must be very annoying for other passengers!
Not long ago I traveled on a rush hour South-Eastern train from Victoria Station to East Croydon station and one man had a full size bike across a door and gangway area among all of us standing, adjusting it's position each time someone needed to pass. I didn't see anyone show the slightest annoyance, indeed most were helpful in allowing for the bike's movements.

On that basis I'd be surprised if a politely handled folder would cause annoyance.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
I rode one of these 'Hoppers' last night, one of the regulars at my local, a sprightly 70 year old chap has gone 'Pedelec' it was his first 'ride out' last night having only received the bike that morning.
I was suprised how nippy it was for it's specifications, and not as heavy as I thought it would be.

jc74

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
I rode one of these 'Hoppers' last night, one of the regulars at my local, a sprightly 70 year old chap has gone 'Pedelec' it was his first 'ride out' last night having only received the bike that morning.
I was suprised how nippy it was for it's specifications, and not as heavy as I thought it would be.
Hi, did you have any further thoughts on it? For example was the battery heavy/big/removable easily? Did it seem reasonably well constructed?

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
Hi, did you have any further thoughts on it? For example was the battery heavy/big/removable easily? Did it seem reasonably well constructed?
The battery is a seat post type, removable, the construction quality was as good as my Cyclamatic,frame welding quite neat, folding mech looked sound enough, very quiet running, quieter than my Cyclamatic, brakes worked well, no judder or squealing.Very easy to get on and offable..:D
For the money, (even less if you have any Tesco Club points to use in conjunction with the on-line purchase discount codes.) It's a good buy budget entry Pedelec.
As for service back up, spares, etc.......?

jc74

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
The battery is a seat post type, removable, the construction quality was as good as my Cyclamatic,frame welding quite neat, folding mech looked sound enough, very quiet running, quieter than my Cyclamatic, brakes worked well, no judder or squealing.Very easy to get on and offable..:D
For the money, (even less if you have any Tesco Club points to use in conjunction with the on-line purchase discount codes.) It's a good buy budget entry Pedelec.
As for service back up, spares, etc.......?
I have £60 (can be exchanged doubled to 120) of Tesco vouchers spare which is making it more appealing...
I assume that the battery can be removed without taking the seat off (some bikes I notice fall foul to that limitation!). Any idea how heavy the battery might be? - My current eBike has a 3-3.5Kg battery and if it's lighter, I'm pretty much sold(!)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I have £60 (can be exchanged doubled to 120) of Tesco vouchers spare which is making it more appealing...
I assume that the battery can be removed without taking the seat off (some bikes I notice fall foul to that limitation!). Any idea how heavy the battery might be? - My current eBike has a 3-3.5Kg battery and if it's lighter, I'm pretty much sold(!)

Hmmmm....sounds to me like you are rapidly approaching " warp one buying mode "....go on.....get it...and let us all know how good it really is (and hopefully,not how not :) )....the suspense is killing :D

Lynda :)

jc74

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
Hi all

I work for Woosh Bikes and we do a 20 inch folder with 36V 7.5A lithium battery for £389 and free delivery.
Goes like the clappers! But is a a small frame size, so not really good for anyone over 5 ft 5" or 13 stone and good for short trips, probably not ideal for long hikes.
Woosh Mono | Electric Bikes from Woosh | Tel 01702 435566 | electric bike sales and hire
View attachment 3668
Thanks I've seen it, and I'm 5' 8", but more importantly I'm worried that the battery on that can't be taken out without taking the seat off. (I'll probably mostly leave the bike locked at the station and take the battery with me - hence light battery!).
I am as an alternative (non-folding) interested in the Whoosh Scirocco X... Though hard to justify that until my existing bike gives up the ghost, or if the new bike can handle my 2 mile 6-7% uphill stretch easily at the full 15mph on electric!

Basically if I were to get an alternative bike it'd be one of 4 reasons:-
1> Be able to easily cycle all the way to work with an average speed at the full 15mph. (~16 miles each way)
2> Have a folding bike which I can easily carry on the train and thus use at each end of the commute, though it'd definitely need an easy to remove battery for the days when I choose to leave it at the station.
3> Have a bike which can save me a few minutes on my journey back home from the station each day by being able to travel at the full legal 15mph uphill (I reckon I'm getting around 10mph at a guess currently with my 250W 24V bike).
4> Cheap enough to buy on a bit of a whim as a spare bike even if it doesn't quite fit all my needs... (i.e. the Tesco one since I have £120 of vouchers plus various cashback offers etc bringing it in at around £255 of (additional) cash).

jc74

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
Hmmmm....sounds to me like you are rapidly approaching " warp one buying mode "....go on.....get it...and let us all know how good it really is (and hopefully,not how not :) )....the suspense is killing :D

Haha, read point 4 on my previous post... The word bargain keeps getting to my head at the moment!

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London

Not only but also.........you will get more points if you buy the bike............:D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
OMG....so, in reality, its even cheaper....go on...get it ordered...if you waffle on much more they will run out LOL

Then you really really WILL want it.....and it will all be tooooo late :(

jc74

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
OMG....so, in reality, its even cheaper....go on...get it ordered...if you waffle on much more they will run out LOL

LOL Their website is broken, and can't do my voucher exchange online, phoned them up and they said they're having 'technical problems' and I'd need to go instore... Looks like I've saved myself from an impulse purchase for the time being...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
A woman's logic where would we be with out it
Honestly.....you men....wont you EVER understand about financial matters and supply and demand ? ....it all seems very straightforward to me ! :confused:

I know a bargain when I see one !! :D :D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
LOL Their website is broken, and can't do my voucher exchange online, phoned them up and they said they're having 'technical problems' and I'd need to go instore... Looks like I've saved myself from an impulse purchase for the time being...
You see......sighs......what did I tell you !!

Now someone else will post telling you what a bargain of the century it was ! ROFLOL

Speak to John.....he has a good folder coming in soon :cool:

Gonna cost ya more though......but at least you would have known quality and after sales support :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Honestly.....you men....wont you EVER understand about financial matters and supply and demand ?
There's one answer to that, women, credit and store cards! Some understanding. :rolleyes:

I've never even known of a man with a store card.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I've never even known of a man with a store card.
Aaaah, Flecc......you've never lived LOL :D :D

Seriously.....I dont use them either :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I didn't think you did Lynda, you've far too much common sense for that. Large numbers of women do seem to be suckers for them though.

C

Cyclezee

Woman's logic, where would we be without it:eek:

jc74

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011

Not too late! - Exchanged my vouchers and have ordered one! - Provided it works well, it'll be a super bargain!...
Cost around £280 after deducting £120 Tesco exchange vouchers, and will get £20 from 5% Quidco cash back, plus 560 club points... Just shame I missed out on the £10 off £75 spend offer last week LOL.

When it arrives I'll let you all know whether it was a waste of time and money :eek:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Will be looking forward to your review, hopefully with some pictures