Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
it seems my question is lost !! Can someone please reply on below.

'can someone please tell if the controller(at handler bar) is easily detachable ? that may be needed during parking.'

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
it seems my question is lost !! Can someone please reply on below.

'can someone please tell if the controller(at handler bar) is easily detachable ? that may be needed during parking.'
Sunil,
I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check but I seem to remember having to undo screws to re-align it. Not a difficult job but not "easily detachable". The cable runs along the handlebar held with a cable tie. The display unit similarly needs a screwdriver to adjust it.
I've never felt the controller was an issue when I lock the bike up. Then again, Broadway isn't exactly a hotbed of crime.
Bryn

bertie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2016
Leigh
I have checked it out row seems a good bike but have chose the Carrera from my local branch and got a few extras thrown in ( bike care package and service at 12 months plus mud guards. I opted for Schawbe marathon e tyres for puncture resistance should be mobile around Thursday. Also brynric was spot on about the battery it is an 11.3 ah not 9ah as halfords keep stating come guys you are missing a trick there. Thanks to all your replies guys.keep rolling!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Maybe its just me but any ebike with a front derailleur is a massive turn off. I dont want the extra handlebat clutter & complexity & see no need for one on an ebike. Heck even my top end mountain bikes dont have these fitted anymore!
You obviously don't ride where I do! With my standard gearing climbing mountains is very hard going and means I need to use a higher assist level and I can spin out on the flat causing lots of wear on thehigher gears. With my double chainring conversion it has improved the bike no end. Now I can keep the chainline straighter and ride around the middle of the block most of the time. I will still fit a 40 or 42 tooth cassette when it gets to renewal time.

D

Deleted member 4366

Maybe its just me but any ebike with a front derailleur is a massive turn off. I dont want the extra handlebat clutter & complexity & see no need for one on an ebike. Heck even my top end mountain bikes dont have these fitted anymore!
You know it can be removed?

• Informative

Convert123

Sep 9, 2016
N Ireland
Hi All - check out my quick video showing my Carerra and some of the accessories I have fitted - it's not a full review, just key features and details of my phone holder, bag and bottle holder.

Should answer a few recent questions too - hope you like!

Ade
Ade
Well done on the video! I have also just taken delivery of the Crossfire ebike. I have the same accessory for holding the water bottle but am not sure about the under the seat position pointing forward! I will probably end up with this solution or go for a saddle bag which facilitates a bottle eg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aosbos-Saddlebag-Portable-Waterproof-Cycling/dp/B01H8V00BC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473531742&sr=8-4&keywords=Saddle+bag+with+water+bottle

I have enjoyed my first few trips and have been surprised with how good the bike is with NO assist. Did you get one of the £40ish Go Pro look alikes? If so, is it any good? Enjoy your new bike. Keep safe!

• Informative

superhands

Sep 5, 2016
Warwickshire
Ade
Well done on the video! I have also just taken delivery of the Crossfire ebike. I have the same accessory for holding the water bottle but am not sure about the under the seat position pointing forward! I will probably end up with this solution or go for a saddle bag which facilitates a bottle eg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aosbos-Saddlebag-Portable-Waterproof-Cycling/dp/B01H8V00BC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473531742&sr=8-4&keywords=Saddle+bag+with+water+bottle

I have enjoyed my first few trips and have been surprised with how good the bike is with NO assist. Did you get one of the £40ish Go Pro look alikes? If so, is it any good? Enjoy your new bike. Keep safe!
Thanks! I had fun making the vid hope it helps. The bike is great: I did 12 miles today and went from 70% to 40% but there were some big hills. Not that they bother me any more! I really wouldn't have gone for a 12 mile ride without the boost :) my knee is already getting better from all this activity.

If you get a go pro copy, go for an sj 4000 and check reviews carefully. There are suddenly a lot of crap copies out there that can't even do 720p or widescreen: I picked one up from the BP garage for £20. It looked great but it was toilet. Only 1.3mp camera and crap movie resolution! The way to tell is to look at the lens: it's should be quite large and have a dome on it. If it is flat and much smaller than the circular border of the lens housing, walk away!

I also have a sj4000 copy which I bought from Amazon for about 50 quid a few years ago. Do your research and if in doubt buy an sjcam it will be nearer 60 quid but there will be no doubt :)

Ade

Convert123

Sep 9, 2016
N Ireland
Any views on the front suspension on the Carrera Crossfire e? Is it always better to have in locked down on Tarmac roads?

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
Its rubbish, but better than solid forks. I wouldnt dream of riding mine on anything but tarmac. Its notably smoother with lockout off. I see no point in the lockout at all, not on this sort of bike anyway. Fair enough on a long travel mtb when you are stamping on it trying to cycle up hill to reduce the bob, but not on this.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
dear all carrera users,

I am going into dilemma now !! my currect bike(non e bike) is around 14 kg. on £1000 range, i can get carrera ebike which is approx 23 kg or i can get boardman(non ebike) which is 8 kg.
My aim is to use bike for commuting to office which is 6 miles one way. I would prefer not to take shower at the end of my journey.
Based on yours/others experience what is suggested. please share your opinion.

Regards
Sunil

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
You are just using it for commuting? It depends on the route, traffic, cycle paths and hills really.
My commute is 3.5 miles each way, with 4 steep'ish hills & quite a bit of twisty turny bits that the assist is good for. When I get going im out of the overly low assist speed anyway, so still get a bit of a sweat on, but nothing compared to riding a normal bike.
If you have a straight flat route, then a lightweight cycle may be more suitable?
For me, the carerra has brought the fun back into riding a bike, i absolutely love mine, but do wish it was a little faster.

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
thanks Mcozzy for your response. My commute is a mix of three hills. one of them is very steep but other two are OK. it takes me around 32 mins one way for 6 miles. I am expecting ebike may increase my average speed ?

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
Ha it depends!
Downhill - the same
Uphill - quicker
Flat - maybe slower, its a heavy bike once you are above the assist speed.
Getting away from junctions - quicker
You will arrive at work fresher though for sure. And on mornings when you are a bit tired or after a long day, crank up the assist, slow down so you always have assistance and cruise :)
My 3.5 mile commute takes a max of 15 mins, often less.
Walking took 50 mins, driving 10.

Last edited:

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I took my Crossfire-E into Halfords and I mentioned the problem with the motor cutting off and their answer was that the reason the bike's motor cuts off is because it has safe mode built in and when the sensor detects a lot of power being used on the battery then it cuts off. It is actually a safety precaution so the battery doesn't get destroyed.