Tweets

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
I have noticed an annoying tweets display appearing in the centre of the left hand of the Forum pages. Is there a way of switching it off, or moving it somewhere else? I now have to scroll the page a lot more to read the first part of threads that are under this tweets display.

Chris

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
I have noticed an annoying tweets display appearing in the centre of the left hand of the Forum pages. Is there a way of switching it off, or moving it somewhere else? I now have to scroll the page a lot more to read the first part of threads that are under this tweets display.

Chris
Im glad someone else raised this i do enough moaning lol. I find it rather annoying too, i have to enlarge my screen to read text properly because of an eye condition and it gets in the way.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
It wasn't there at all, until I allowed the whole page's scripts to run. I use Firefox and NoScript, which filters out all that crap nicely.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Nothing on my page either (I use firefox):confused:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I use Firefox on my Imac and have a single line under reply to thread Did not really notice the link

Frank

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
See the thread here on the announcements board. Russ says it is just a trial at present..

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I'd not noticed the tweets tab until vhfman mentioned it, but on me screen it's just a little vertical tab in the top left hand corner of the screen. I use Safari, so it seems that the annoyance factor is browser related.

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
It looks like the tweets tab has gone for now.:D But interested that it displays so differently with other browsers. I mainly use Opera, but I did look at the site with IE which gave more or less the same result.
Like Jon I enlarge the text to make reading easier even though the monitor is a 42" screen TV, I am reading the screen across the room.

Thanks for all the comments on other browsers, it looks like Firefox is popular. I think I will stick with Opera, and just complain if the tweet tab returns!:)

Chris

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I usually use Chrome (highly recommend it) and have not noticed it.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I like Opera and use it on Windows but on my Mac I've stuck with Safari.....Opera was too jerky and slow when scrolling and although Chrome looks the biz it crashes when I attempted to import my Safari bookmarks....

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I've hidden the Tweet icon until the next version is released which I believe will allow us to reposition it and/or give you the option to switch it off.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
It looks like the tweets tab has gone for now.:D But interested that it displays so differently with other browsers. I mainly use Opera, but I did look at the site with IE which gave more or less the same result.
Like Jon I enlarge the text to make reading easier even though the monitor is a 42" screen TV, I am reading the screen across the room.

Thanks for all the comments on other browsers, it looks like Firefox is popular. I think I will stick with Opera, and just complain if the tweet tab returns!:)

Chris
I went off IE at number 5,6 and 7 8 was so so but buggy and ive only just installed 9. Firefox is quite good if your developing websites and has lots of add on tools you can use to aid you like firebug. Chrome is light weight and not bad, feels clean and ive not really had bugs except for a youtube issue recently. Opera is the quickest of the lot and works well. I use Chrome for browsing and FF for developing

Oiseaux

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2011
La roche Posay, Vienne, France
I tend to support what Maureen O'Dowd had to say about twitter

""I would rather be tied up to stakes in the Kalahari Desert, have honey poured over me and red ants eat out my eyes than open a Twitter account."

Oiseaux

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I tend to support what Maureen O'Dowd had to say about twitter

""I would rather be tied up to stakes in the Kalahari Desert, have honey poured over me and red ants eat out my eyes than open a Twitter account."

Oiseaux
Ditto................

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No criticism of others in my comment David, I want everyone to have what they like. But for me such things as Twitter and Facebook are a step too far in the time wasting stakes. First we cursed the telephone interrupting our lives but gave into it. Then it was the internet in general and email in particular, followed by mobile phones glued to ears seemingly permanently to impart such essential information as "I'm in Tesco".

For me there had to be a point to call a halt, and social networking was that point.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
No criticism of others in my comment David, I want everyone to have what they like. But for me such things as Twitter and Facebook are a step too far in the time wasting stakes. First we cursed the telephone interrupting our lives but gave into it. Then it was the internet in general and email in particular, followed by mobile phones glued to ears seemingly permanently to impart such essential information as "I'm in Tesco".

For me there had to be a point to call a halt, and social networking was that point.
I kind of with flecc on this and im very much into innovation and the internet. All i see Twitter as is a way of business, politicians or celebs informing people of whats going on. Thats fine and it has a use. For the average Jon no body cares if i have been tot he shop or just had a what ever. I see Twitter more of a a place to brag and thats it, it does nothing else. I do get facebook more and i use facebook quite a bit because its a way of keeping in touch with stuff, for a start you have more than 140 characters or what ever the limit is.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Speaking of the forum's appearance, how is it that some posts have a scroll bar at the side (whatever length they are), whereas others do not? That's in Firefox, by the way.