Two new Woosh bikes are on the way

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Yea I suppose any size tyre on an ebike would work. With that rim width though it seems tyre choices are limited to knobbly MTB tyres or even wider FB tyres which aren't ideal for speed and rolling resistance.
Woosh if you do open a tyre up to check the innertubes could you measure inter rim width as this will more accurately tell what size tyres would fit on them.
So it would be the distance on B

http://engineerstalk.mavic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/1.jpg
From memory, I understand that fat tyres actully have less rolling resistance than skinny tyres

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Andy @ woosh is going to do some tests on both bikes in the morning.
He is fairly tall, 6 2, I'll ask him to post his impression.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
is it possible to fit front suspention forks with lockout to the fb(whoosh option mybe)
if someone swops the fatboy tyres for slimmer ones it might be a bit of a hard ride onroad.
I find my subway no sus 27.5x2" at 65psi is a bit hard and a long ride moreso

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
is it possible to fit front suspention forks with lockout to the fb(whoosh option mybe)
yes, like SW said.
The fork is standard fat bikes' fork, you can replace it if you want to. It's a 30 minutes job.
They are still relatively expensive compared to standard MTB forks.
I find the FB is quite comfortable for long rides between 15psi to 20 psi at the front, 20 psi at the rear.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
I'm away for the weekend so i'll decide and order on Monday. It is a lot of questions yes but considering a lot of us can't go and testride the bike, it is the only other way. Be interesting to hear what the staff member has to say once had some use with both bikes.

BornAgainCyclist

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Sanderstead
It's also keeping Woosh at the top of this forum section and answering questions for anyone else who might come along. Plus someone at Woosh is having fun with what look like fun bikes.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Far be it from me to advise woosh on their marketing, but calling the bike a fat bike is misleading.

To be fair, on the website it's described as 'Rio FB (fat boy)'.

The Kenda tyres are fashionably wide at 3", but as woosh has observed in this thread they are balloon tyres, not fat tyres in the usually accepted meaning of the word.

The shallow tread means the bike is eminently suitable for road and well-made cycle paths.

I have the Schwalbe equivalent - Super Moto X - on the Charger.

They roll nicely, particularly if inflated to the higher end of the pressure range on the sidewall.

Leaving aside my general concerns about the durability and reliability of budget Chinese ebikes, the Rio FB would make an excellent commuter.

A rack and mudguards are all but essential, and the tyres give the option to tune the ride/rolling resistance because they can run at a wide range of pressures, anything from about 15psi to 50.

The rigid fork is another benefit, being significantly lighter than the next-to-useless sus fork the bike would have at this budget.

Nothing to break or wear out, which is good for a component in daily use.

Another plus point of the wheel/tyre combination is the spokes holes which are drilled left and right on the rim, rather than in a straight line.

This gives a bit of lateral triangulation to add strength, although most of that comes from the quality of the materials and build which is hard to judge from a pic.

Set up correctly, the wheel ought to be strong which is essential for a heavy hub motor ebike going over potholes day in, day out.

Add the cushioning effect of the balloon tyres, and the job's a good 'un.

No lights, but modern clip-on LED lights are excellent so that could be sorted for £50 or a lot less if you are happy with cheap Chinese.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I should have fitted the lights to the demo FB.
the FB is supplied with a set of simple front torch and rear seat post light, the same set is supplied with the Rio MTB.
They are battery powered by separate alkaline batteries.

D

Deleted member 4366

From memory, I understand that fat tyres actully have less rolling resistance than skinny tyres
Whatever the calculations say is irrelevant. The only question is whether wide tyres give you an advantage. If they did, you'd see all the Tour de France riders on fat bikes.

• Agree
Reactions: VictoryV

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
It was literally only the tyre choices which put me off the FB. You're basically limited to knobbly FB tyres which are really expensive, or maybe narrower slick MTB tyres (Like Big Apples) but we dont know if they will fit. I know the tyres on it are OK for commuting but some other options with better puncture resistance would be good, like from Schwalbe

• Agree
Reactions: kernow rex

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Whatever the calculations say is irrelevant. The only question is whether wide tyres give you an advantage. If they did, you'd see all the Tour de France riders on fat bikes.
the priorities for a racer are not the same - most people don't corner at high speed and there is a definite advantage riding on 3" balloon tyres when your prostate plays up.

Last edited:

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
how would the fb at 80nm compare to say the bigbear for onroad hill climbing
and are a similar weight