Help! Voilamart 26” front hub looking for repair

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Dont hold back wheezy . Which one is the signal Plz ? Please Leave Me out of your verbal battles I need all 3 of your input
If White is present it should be the signal wire, Black to White 1v & open throttle about 4v should register.

Reactions: mikeconnect

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Dont hold back wheezy . Which one is the signal Plz ? Please Leave Me out of your verbal battles I need all 3 of your input
Don't worry about us Mike, we're just a bunch of cantankerous old men who aren't getting any younger, and are certainly not getting any prettier :)

I wanted to have a proper look before I posted, I didn't want to be saying the first thing that came into my head :) so this morning I did some testing.

As you know, there are 6 wires, Yellow, Brown, Green, White, Black and Red.

The switch on the throttle unit activates the yellow and brown wires. The brown wire is at battery voltage.

Yellow and Green are connected together on the controller board.

Black is ground. Red is about 5V, but this is only active if the throttle unit switch is closed.

As Nealh suspected, the white wire is the throttle signal wire and I measured this to vary between 0.8 and 3.6V, from the throttle being in the off position to fully on.

You can poke your multimeter probe tips into the backs of the controller/throttle connectors when they are connected. Do this on opposite connectors to avoid shorting the probes. This way you can check the throttle without the motor being connected.

I'm not sure which wires correspond to the LED voltage gauge, I imaging it will be the green wire, but I will need to do a bit more testing to pin that down for certain.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Don't worry about us Mike, we're just a bunch of cantankerous old men who aren't getting any younger, and are certainly not getting any prettier :)

I wanted to have a proper look before I posted, I didn't want to be saying the first thing that came into my head :) so this morning I did some testing.

The switch on the throttle unit activates the yellow and brown wires. The brown wire is at battery voltage.

Black is ground. Red is about 5V, but this is only active if the throttle unit switch is closed.

As Nealh suspected, the white wire is the throttle signal wire and I measured this to vary between 0.8 and 3.6V, from the throttle being in the off position to fully on.

You can poke your multimeter probe tips into the backs of the controller/throttle connectors when they are connected. Do this on opposite connectors to avoid shorting the probes. This way you can check the throttle without the motor being connected.

I'm not sure which wires correspond to the LED voltage gauge, I imaging it will be the green wire, but I will need to do a bit more testing to pin that down for certain.
ThAnks . I was jokin really . I quite enjoy your verbal jousting haha .
Won’t look at throttle till I redo all cable tests prob Sunday

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Sorry if it’s hidden in these posts somewhere but for cable tests does it makes Any difference which colour probe goes to motor and controller end .? I get a beep on all for continuity. But for cross wire all’s ok no beeps but some cross wire checks show 1 , and some show readings in the hundreds Is that normal ??
I’m redoing halls and mosfets then to power cable

Last edited:

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Phase wires . There’s 2 blue and 2 green going into the motor. 2 from motor to cable and 2 from motor to PCB . Are all 4 supposed to be continuous with cable at controller end ? And secondly do I need to disconnect the phase wires from the controller connection to test the cable ?
Just this test motor to controller end then I wZnt to di vfrs way too at controller end

Last edited:

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Try to summarise now all tests
1. All halls tested for short and continuity
2. Phase wires beep from motor to controller end and across colour too
3. Phase wires beep cross colour at controller connection
4. MOSFETs phase wires show readings of 1 on power and 400 ISH on ground

NB .. phase wires from controller were still connected to long cable to motor for these tests. I hope that's ok

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

Wheezy should the pedal assist work irrespective of whether the throttle is working or not ? It's me that mentioned the throttle I know but if the motor should work eventually with only pedal assist I'd rather solve that first then check the throttle cis it's a pig to get at . Then I can try and work out how to get these halls off the PCB
Anyone ?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Wheezy should the pedal assist work irrespective of whether the throttle is working or not ? It's me that mentioned the throttle I know but if the motor should work eventually with only pedal assist I'd rather solve that first then check the throttle cis it's a pig to get at . Then I can try and work out how to get these halls off the PCB
Anyone ?
I have never used the PAS on my Voilamart controllers. However, I have just been in the garage, connected the PAS with the throttle switched on and waved a magnet at the PAS and yes, it does operate the motor without the throttle being twisted.

When you do your tests, unplug the brake to the controller cables, just in case there is a short there that is stopping the motor from running.

Last edited:

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I have never used the PAS on my Voilamart controllers. However, I have just been in the garage, connected the PAS with the throttle switched on and waved a magnet at the PAS and yes, it does operate the motor without the throttle being twisted.

When you do your tests, unplug the brake to the controller cables, just in case there is a short there that is stopping the motor from running.
Gotcha but wouldn't PAS work without throttle on a working bike Anyway? After all if you were using pedal assist you wouldn't use throttle necessarily at same t ime
.my point was more about if the throttle was faulty disabled blown whatever , would pedal assist still work ?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Gotcha but wouldn't PAS work without throttle on a working bike Anyway? After all if you were using pedal assist you wouldn't use throttle necessarily at same t ime
.my point was more about if the throttle was faulty disabled blown whatever , would pedal assist still work ?

I'd like to say yes, my other bike works fine without a throttle attached at all, but that has an LCD screen to control it... but the Voilamart needs the on/off button of the throttle to turn the controller on. I'll have a go at leaving a throttle completely detached and turning the controller on without it and see if the PAS runs. I'll let you know.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I'd like to say yes, my other bike works fine without a throttle attached at all, but that has an LCD screen to control it... but the Voilamart needs the on/off button of the throttle to turn the controller on. I'll have a go at leaving a throttle completely detached and turning the controller on without it and see if the PAS runs. I'll let you know.
Yes I can confirm that with no throttle attached, but the yellow and brown wires shorted on the controller throttle connector, the PAS alone will make the motor run.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Yes I can confirm that with no throttle attached, but the yellow and brown wires shorted on the controller throttle connector, the PAS alone will make the motor run.
Thanks wheezy sorry it caused a short. I'll plough on with removi g the sensors but sorry I need help for this . Looks like the sensors pins below the board are either glued or wrapped . Dunno best way to remove them

Attachments

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Thanks wheezy sorry it caused a short. I'll plough on with removi g the sensors but sorry I need help for this . Looks like the sensors pins below the board are either glued or wrapped . Dunno best way to remove them
Oh no, it didn't cause a short, I shorted the connection with a piece of wire, so that the controller would switch on without the throttle connected.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Oh no, it didn't cause a short, I shorted the connection with a piece of wire, so that the controller would switch on without the throttle connected.
Good. Cani u help ref removing the sensors ? IM not sure how they are attached below the board see my photo on previous post don’t know if they’re glued underneath can u advise

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Just wanted to point out that I don't expect people to reply immediately to my questions . I have to wait I understand that .only I might give a prompt sometimes because I work a lot , so when I'm free to look at the bike I don't want to waste the opportunity . If I have to lose that opportunity cis you're all busy so be it. It's not impatience it's just trying to get the job done thanks gentlemen
Outstanding question on my last reply to wheezy