Help! Voilamart 26” front hub looking for repair

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
A
Old halls weren't too bad bit if glue which I melted . But sadly it's stopped working again so unless I see something obvious I had enough and selling for repair
. But wheezy you have voilamart . So the 3 lights on the on off battery indicator are now all on at the same time . Does that mean anything to you ?
Apparently 3 lights is normal on fully charged according to previous owner I just couldnt remember

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
A

Apparently 3 lights is normal on fully charged according to previous owner I just couldnt remember
My Throttle/switch/battery indicator handle is a different design. It is more of a bar chart than discrete "traffic lights". I did post a picture of it somewhere a while back in this thread. However, all the lights need to be on, or there is something wrong with the controller. Before, were you only getting one or some of the lights on?

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
My Throttle/switch/battery indicator handle is a different design. It is more of a bar chart than discrete "traffic lights". I did post a picture of it somewhere a while back in this thread. However, all the lights need to be on, or there is something wrong with the controller. Before, were you only getting one or some of the lights on?
Sorted that's how it should be . I couldn't remember. But see my other posts bike stopped working again after 100yds. If it's nothi g obvious I'm giving up

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
, Maybe you guys have left this thread but just realised that the motor kicks in when you turn the wheel then goes off so thinkin that one of the halls maybe stopped working . It did run for 200 yds so somethin happened after that. I've seen how to test hall sensors from controller end putting ground against the 3 colours but they all seem to show ok . 4 37 on contact and .01 on removal. So the motor responds to throttle for a split second then stops all the symptoms I thought was a faulty hall but Al halls ok

Last edited:

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Wheezy , Maybe you guys have left this thread but just realised that the motor kicks in when you turn the wheel then goes off so thinkin that one of the halls maybe stopped working . It did run for 200 yds so somethin happened after that. I've seen how to test hall sensors from controller end putting ground against the 3 colours but they all seem to show ok . 4 37 on contact and .01 on removal. So the motor responds to throttle for a split second then stops all the symptoms I thought was a faulty hall but Al halls ok

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Wheezy , Maybe you guys have left this thread but just realised that the motor kicks in when you turn the wheel then goes off so thinkin that one of the halls maybe stopped working . It did run for 200 yds so somethin happened after that. I've seen how to test hall sensors from controller end putting ground against the 3 colours but they all seem to show ok . 4 37 on contact and .01 on removal. So the motor responds to throttle for a split second then stops all the symptoms I thought was a faulty hall but Al halls ok

It sounds like a connection isn't right somewhere. I still don't think the Halls are the issue. The motor should run with the Hall connector completely disconnected.

Try this...

Turn the bike upside down. Disconnect the motor phase wires and the Hall sensors from the controller. Take a fresh 1.5V Alkaline D cell and touch two of the phase wires onto the contacts briefly. You should see the wheel twitch slightly. Reverse the polarity and it should twitch back.

Try combinations of the other phase wires. You should see hardly any movement from one pair, a slight twitch from the next pair and a more noticeable movement from the final pair (this will depend on the position of the wheel, relative to the coils).

If you see no movement at all, it means something is wrong with the coils or their connections.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
It sounds like a connection isn't right somewhere. I still don't think the Halls are the issue. The motor should run with the Hall connector completely disconnected.

Try this...

Turn the bike upside down. Disconnect the motor phase wires and the Hall sensors from the controller. Take a fresh 1.5V Alkaline D cell and touch two of the phase wires onto the contacts briefly. You should see the wheel twitch slightly. Reverse the polarity and it should twitch back.

Try combinations of the other phase wires. You should see hardly any movement from one pair, a slight twitch from the next pair and a more noticeable movement from the final pair (this will depend on the position of the wheel, relative to the coils).

If you see no movement at all, it means something is wrong with the coils or their connections.
Hi wheezy.thanks . Before I check what you suggest just want to mention that the motoe was tested without halls and didn't react at all. Then I changed the sensors cos the incorrect ones had been fitted . Once I put new ss41s it ran and it ran constantly while under test. But when I put it back together and went out on it it still ran constantly . Fir at least 200 yds. Then it stopped . So something happened during the ride. So just thinking that it wouldn't have run at all if wiring had been wrong .
2. I still get a twitch out of the motor when I try the throttle and turn the wheel a bit , si isn't that the same as your suggested test ?
But I'll check what you suggest if u still think that

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Oh and it does respond to the throttle with a jolt . So is your test not necessary . That being the case I don't know what to do next . So unless any ideas I have to give up
I still suspect the controller. Can you try the motor on the controller from your other bike?

A new Voilamart controller is about £17.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I still suspect the controller. Can you try the motor on the controller from your other bike?

Not sure cos other bike is original giant motor and controller .
But it did run as I said off the wheel constantly and it did run constantly on the wheel on the bike fir 200 yards then stopped . So everything was ok initially after I replaced halls

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

Try this...

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
It's mike ref voilamart .

The motor is definitely working . With the motor cover off. But as soon as put the cover back on its stopping it from working .
There's something obvious wrong here only not obvious to me . May I ask a couple of questions as you have a voilamart.

1. I have the motor back in the wheel but with motor cover off and it's running.
If I wagggle the wheel about there is a bit of play between the motor and the wheel is that normal when the motor cover is off ?

2. If the motor cover should stop this play between motor and wheel when it's on ,then I wonder if it actually is . Should there be an internal washer between the motor cover and the motor ? Cos there isn't one there .
And maybe the cover is catching against the motor . Were nearly there now . It's such a simple thing but I need to know how to resolve it . Thanks Mike.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

The motor is definitely working . With the motor cover off. But as soon as put the cover back on its stopping it from working .
There's something obvious wrong here only not obvious to me . May I ask a couple of questions as you have a voilamart.

1. I have the motor back in the wheel but with motor cover off and it's running.
If I wagggle the wheel about there is a bit of play between the motor and the wheel is that normal when the motor cover is off ?

2. If the motor cover should stop this play between motor and wheel when it's on ,then I wonder if it actually is . Should there be an internal washer between the motor cover and the motor ? Cos there isn't one there .
And maybe the cover is catching against the motor . Were nearly there now . It's such a simple thing but I need to know how to resolve it . Thanks Mike.
Sorted !
In the end it was my poor soldering and one of the the hall legs were not connecting properly to the board.
So almost complete succes

Reactions: Scorpio

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire

SORTED !!
In the end it was my poor soldering and one of the the hall legs was not connecting properly to the board.
So almost complete success. I'm glad I stuck with it . Thanks all
Not complete success cos throttle doesnt work well. It responds but not fully . Very slow not full speed , but can live with that I usually only use it briefly to start me off then I use pedals . But any ideas on the throttle would be appreciated .
Thanks again

Reactions: Nealh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
But any ideas on the throttle would be appreciated .
Many throttles are designed to give assist only up to some low speed (?4mph, 6kph?) to fit into some legal rules.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
SORTED !!
In the end it was my poor soldering and one of the the hall legs was not connecting properly to the board.
Not complete success cos throttle doesnt work well. It responds but not fully . Very slow not full speed , but can live with that I usually only use it briefly to start me off then I use pedals . But any ideas on the throttle would be appreciated .
Thanks again
You need to measure the voltage on the signal wire (not red, not black) while you operate it. Should be about 1.2v to 3.8v. If it only goes to 2.5v, a magnet has become dislodged.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
SORTED !!
Thanks again
That's great news! Well done for getting to the bottom of it.

With Voilamart controllers, there are two blue wires. If they are connected together, it will limit the throttle to a max of about 10 mph.

See wires No. 4 below:

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Many throttles are designed to give assist only up to some low speed (?4mph, 6kph?) to fit into some legal rules.
Yeh I know . But this definitely wasn't restricted before .it seems like it works for first part of twisting throttle. Then does nothing when you twist further
I had drop out and motor stopped . Eventually fixed by replacing sensors . But throttle not same now . Not big prob.mainly use pedals. Just was better before .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Well done Mike you deserve a medal..... or may be we do for putting up with you :p:p .

Seriously though that last line was tongue in cheek and you have hung in there and got it sorted, bloody marvellous. A word I use now and then on the forum is perseverance, any one dabbling in repairs needs it at times in bucketful's.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Well done Mike you deserve a medal..... or may be we do for putting up with you :p:p .

Seriously though that last line was tongue in cheek and you have hung in there and got it sorted, bloody marvellous. A word I use now and then on the forum is perseverance, any one dabbling in repairs needs it at times in bucketful's.
Thanks and I surprised myself with so much perseverance and a scowling wife in a small living room . As I said not total perfect cos throttle had gone to low power but unless u have some ideas I can live with that and just use it fir standing start . Thanks for sticking with me .