Help! Voilamart 26” front hub looking for repair

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Just wanted to point out that I don't expect people to reply immediately to my questions . I have to wait I understand that .only I might give a prompt sometimes because I work a lot , so when I'm free to look at the bike I don't want to waste the opportunity . If I have to lose that opportunity cis you're all busy so be it. It's not impatience it's just trying to get the job done thanks gentlemen
Outstanding question on my last reply to wheezy
This is what the Hall sensors look like with the magnet cage removed. Looks like they are glued in. It could be epoxy based, which will be a pain to remove, or it could be a thermoplastic glue you can just heat up and melt. I've never taken any out before. Nealh might have some suggestions.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
This is what the Hall sensors look like with the magnet cage removed. Looks like they are glued in. It could be epoxy based, which will be a pain to remove, or it could be a thermoplastic glue you can just heat up and melt. I've never taken any out before. Nealh might have some suggestions.

View attachment 37892

View attachment 37893
Thank you . But whatever it is, am I right in saying that those legs are not electronically connected to anything ? Only the top part soldered to top surface ? If so I can be a bit tough with the bottom bit once I've removed solder at the top

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your guy who replaced them must have glued them in with the Blue paste, yes only the three legs are soldered so once desoldered or broken off you can oik them out .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One thing I forgot is the Halls and grooves are dovetailed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are orientated so that the 5v from the outer face of the magnets is to the right and signal to the LHS. middle is gnd. Also you should be governed by the wiring order as it is (assuming it is correct).
Dovetail in or the face with less surface area facing out.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
They are orientated so that the 5v from the outer face of the magnets is to the right and signal to the LHS. middle is gnd. Also you should be governed by the wiring order as it is (assuming it is correct).
Dovetail in or the face with less surface area facing out.
Face with less surface area facing out thanks . Don't understand the previous bit sorry

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The three hall legs have a 5v, gnd and a signal contact.
Put it another way looking from the hub center outwards the 5v will be the LH leg of the hall, middle diddle is Gnd and RH is signal/output.

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
I have a problem
refitting motor back into wheel . I hope you recognise this any if you with voilamart .
its making a scraping noise and jamming when I turn the wheel ( manually ) after I put the cover back on . I can't see why it's happening .
anyone plz help . I think you have voilamart wheezy
So I'm frightened to run the motor with it assembled

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Halls fitted motor running
Thank you all gentlemen fir your patience and support. Fir whatever reason the incorrect hall sensors stopped it from workin
Finally Bloody Hooray, excuse the language.

As mentioned the bloke used the wrong sensors so weren't able to detect the motor magnets as they weren't bipolar.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a problem
refitting motor back into wheel . I hope you recognise this any if you with voilamart .
its making a scraping noise and jamming when I turn the wheel ( manually ) after I put the cover back on . I can't see why it's happening .
Sounds likely that the motor/stator isn't sitting in the hub body properly hence when the lid is fitted something is scraping.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Halls fitted motor running
Thank you all gentlemen fir your patience and support. Fir whatever reason the incorrect hall sensors stopped it from workin

Great, well done! Good to see it running again. How did you get the old Hall sensors out in the end?

Out of interest, if you disconnect the Hall sensor connector block from the controller, does the motor still run?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I have a problem
Have you found the cause of this yet?

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Well gentlemen one Giant suede for sale for repair. It's stopped working again so could be minor short touching on movement and then of course retesting MOSFETs and halls . So unless I see something obvious I had enough .
but as a matter or interest all 3 lights are now showing on on off battery indicator .

Attachments

Last edited:

mikeconnect

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2020
Warrington , Cheshire
Great, well done! Good to see it running again. How did you get the old Hall sensors out in the end?

Out of interest, if you disconnect the Hall sensor connector block from the controller, does the motor still run?
Old halls weren't too bad bit if glue which I melted . But sadly it's stopped working again so unless I see something obvious I had enough and selling for repair
. But wheezy you have voilamart . So the 3 lights on the on off battery indicator are now all on at the same time . Does that mean anything to you ?

Attachments