Wisper We've bundled eBike security and I think we are the first!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Any ideas as to why the post has been removed?
No idea, but I do recall after joining the forum about three years ago, my second long post was held for approval after an edit, never to ever reappear - might be an anti-spam feature of this forum's software?

Last edited:

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
I can repost it again, if that wouldn't get me in trouble. I'll copy and paste it in, maybe take a screenshot in case it disappears again haha.

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
COPIED FROM PREVIOUS POST

From what I have seen and understood, it is all through backpedal. I received a gps tracker package with my bike (tracker already in the frame). I had to download an app called PowUnity and put in the code on the box, and go near the bike for it to connect. The info from backpedal says that in the event of a theft, I have to go into the app and grant backpedal permission to view the bike location. The app tracks all movement and miles travelled each day as well as the gps battery level. It worked the first few days when I inevitably forgot to turn the alarm off before moving my bike (although it only seemed to alarm when my bike was powered on, not rolled down the drive several metres before turning on. I'd have to test this again).

The app crashed this morning when I went to open it to disable the alarm (I keep forgetting). I had turned on my bike and the alarm notification popped up on my phone. It played very briefly on my phone. When I opened the app it was frozen on the logo screen and I was unable to get it to load to disable the alarm (it was no longer playing though). I had to leave eventually, app still frozen and alarm still active but not playing on my phone.

I've reinstalled the app twice today and it finally worked when I opened it 20 mins ago. Before that it was just stuck on the logo. It has tracked my cycle and miles today, despite the app not working for me, so that's somewhat reassuring. HOWEVER, not once on my trip to a friend's house, the pharmacy or from the pharmacy and home, did my phone alert me to my bike being moved despite the alarm still being active. It has a little on/off switch you tap. When the app loaded again, it was on the "on" side of the switch as it had been in the morning and presumably all day.

So...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
COPIED FROM PREVIOUS POST

From what I have seen and understood, it is all through backpedal. I received a gps tracker package with my bike (tracker already in the frame). I had to download an app called PowUnity and put in the code on the box, and go near the bike for it to connect. The info from backpedal says that in the event of a theft, I have to go into the app and grant backpedal permission to view the bike location. The app tracks all movement and miles travelled each day as well as the gps battery level. It worked the first few days when I inevitably forgot to turn the alarm off before moving my bike (although it only seemed to alarm when my bike was powered on, not rolled down the drive several metres before turning on. I'd have to test this again).

The app crashed this morning when I went to open it to disable the alarm (I keep forgetting). I had turned on my bike and the alarm notification popped up on my phone. It played very briefly on my phone. When I opened the app it was frozen on the logo screen and I was unable to get it to load to disable the alarm (it was no longer playing though). I had to leave eventually, app still frozen and alarm still active but not playing on my phone.

I've reinstalled the app twice today and it finally worked when I opened it 20 mins ago. Before that it was just stuck on the logo. It has tracked my cycle and miles today, despite the app not working for me, so that's somewhat reassuring. HOWEVER, not once on my trip to a friend's house, the pharmacy or from the pharmacy and home, did my phone alert me to my bike being moved despite the alarm still being active. It has a little on/off switch you tap. When the app loaded again, it was on the "on" side of the switch as it had been in the morning and presumably all day.

So...
Battery saving measures on newer phones can cause problems for apps which require real-time data via the internet in order to start up and function: the app on top stays connected (especially while the phone is being moved around, which prevents it going into deeper sleep), the others don't. Quite often, in adddition the screen must be kept switched on. With newer iPhones, they must also remain plugged into a charger. The app needs work.

Last edited:

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
Yeah I tried quite a few things to get it going, forced stop, reinstall etc. I can't say why it suddenly started working. I had been in my home WiFi for hours and tried to reinstall it twice with no luck. I opened it many times still frozen, and then it was suddenly working.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yeah I tried quite a few things to get it going, forced stop, reinstall etc. I can't say why it suddenly started working. I had been in my home WiFi for hours and tried to reinstall it twice with no luck. I opened it many times still frozen, and then it was suddenly working.
Perhaps the backend system which the app connectes/attempts connection to hasn't been scaled to cope with the additional data traffic from users of new tracked bikes? If many others experience these issues, the entire system should be inspected and reformed (unlike the NHS).

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
Hi CC Biker we are with you regarding the change to the locking requirements. We are challenging it now.

As you can see from the costs we are offering this as a service to our customers, we do not make a profit. We pay our dealers 10% to administer the package. As a matter of interest, we also pay £143.00 for the recovery and insurance cover but sell it for £100.00 when bought together with the tracker... and we add the old for new cover if not recovered after 14 days... free of charge.

You say... "I think in terms of this package, it's maybe not the same kind of standard they (Wisper) have been praised for before".

I'm not sure that I understand how we could offer more.

Any ideas as to why the post has been removed? We certainly were not involved and could not ask for a post to be removed even if we wanted to.

All the best, David
The locking requirements have changed recently, but it seems even before that they were much more strict and detailed than other insurers. As I didn't have the bike yet, I thought it may be possible to lock it to the requirements when I scanned over the terms, but in practice even the older requirements are a huge hindrance. The updated requirements are even worse. If I'd seen other insurance policies I would have known better. I didn't realise how much more was covered by other insurers compared to this policy. This is my first ebike and first bike insurance policy. I bought it based on Wispers good reputation and trusted it. That's my mistake, I should have been more diligent in checking out other options first but it was ordered as an add on and seemed like a great idea.

Backpedal said £106.08 is for their recovery service. £37.80 is for the Sundays (locked theft only) insurance. If you have added something extra to this in terms of cover, I have no documentation saying so. Just Sundays policy that states 20% depreciation after the first year etc. If you can clarify that would be good.

I appreciate there is a slight saving going through you Vs backpedal directly but for less than the £299 I paid, I could get much better fully comprehensive insurance without the need for a tracker, so I'm wondering what the point is. Even directly through Sundays I can get fully comprehensive insurance for £142 including all manner of theft and accident cover, £108 if I just cover the bike and not personal injury and liability. Again I wouldn't recommend them due to their requirements but I find the whole thing to be a questionable product in terms of value to the customer.

In terms of my comment about Wisper having a high standard & good reputation - I'm trying to give things the benefit of the doubt here. I think if Wisper is wanting to offer good coverage to customers, a more comprehensive insurance cover would be better, or at least one that has locking requirements compatible with your bikes. I honestly just don't see the point in the tracking recovery at this point, unless major insurers are offering significant discounts to customers with a tracker. The money is better spent on fully comprehensive insurance, even from Sundays if you can comply with their terms.

I want to have the good experience I've read about with Wisper but currently I am not. I love the bike and hope to get things sorted so I can fully enjoy it but...

I have been waiting two days for a reply to my email about a fault on my bike, after the customer service rep wrote back, completely misunderstanding my issue and telling me I needed to tighten up the screw that I explained is completely stuck. I asked numerous times for clarification on the insurance requirements but didn't get a reply that made sense, and no reply to last night's email questions. It's nice that you're quick on here but I'd still like my own questions and the fault sorted for my bike.

Backpedal have been the most responsive but had to go to Sundays for clarification on the requirements, which I've not heard back about yet.

I think the idea of a tracking and recovery service is great, but at the moment it is not better value or easier to live with that fully comprehensive insurance for less per year. I am not here to bash anyone, but this week has been stressful trying to make sure I'm keeping my bike safe at home and out, in a way that will be covered, with little clarification from any of the involved parties on what I should be doing. The app not working, but being a condition of the insurance was also another stress.

This was all my savings and a means to get out after years of chronic illness. I would just like to enjoy my bike knowing it's secure and covered adequately.

• Informative
Reactions: Az.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
I honestly just don't see the point in the tracking recovery at this point
Perhaps that's the nub of it. Many people just want the theft not to have happened and the nearest thing is to get back the bike they know, preferably with their accessories, carefully chosen or no longer available. Insurers deduct excess, they can make lame offers for current value, disregard accessories, offer a replacement BSO or a voucher valid with one distributor. In monetary terms it's bound to come at a cost but having one's not-new bike back circumvents all that.

As for the policy you linked... all I can say is that I re-wrote the non-sensical buildings and contents policy I was offered and returned it to the broker, chivvied the underwriter and was sent a revised policy with some of the revisions adopted.

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
Perhaps that's the nub of it. Many people just want the theft not to have happened and the nearest thing is to get back the bike they know, preferably with their accessories, carefully chosen or no longer available. Insurers deduct excess, they can make lame offers for current value, disregard accessories, offer a replacement BSO or a voucher valid with one distributor. In monetary terms it's bound to come at a cost but having one's not-new bike back circumvents all that.
Well this is true and something I liked about it, however the limitations on the insurance policy part of the deal means I was more concerned about whether I'd be covered if backpedal were unable to get the bike back, or if parts were damaged in the process and I hadn't done everything to their exact requirements. If the package came with better insurance, with less confusing and impractical requirements, it would be closer to being a good deal. I'm happier knowing all I have to do with Laka is to secure the frame with one gold lock to meet their requirements, and I can protect the rest as I see fit for the circumstances.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I was more concerned about whether I'd be covered if backpedal were unable to get the bike back, or if parts were damaged in the process and I hadn't done everything to their exact requirements.
I wonder how would they prove bike wasn't locked properly.
Would they bother to obtain CCTV evidence?

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
I wonder how would they prove bike wasn't locked properly.
Would they bother to obtain CCTV evidence?
Well, as I was sharing in the other post, it was actually impossible/difficult to even find a way my bike could be locked to their standard so it's possible they could question how I managed it. I don't intend on lying in a theft situation but even if I planned on it, I only have photos of my d-lock and chain lock. I currently couldn't find a way to lock my bike with both of those, to their requirements. If you read their documentation one way, and take into account their example photos, then they expect a lock around a secure part of the frame (for me that's the back triangle) AND another around the QR front wheel, frame and immovable object. I emailed for confirmation that my way was acceptable, and asked for suitable suggestions of how to lock my bike but couldn't get clarification from Sundays, backpedal or Wisper in a timely manner so I switched insurance (still no answers). Even for locking the bike in the garage I was nervous I wasn't meeting their expectations so it was stressing me out whether I rode it or not.

Maybe if I'd never asked in the first place I could get away with lying about it but it's not really my way of doing things and I'd prefer to legitimately meet the requirements.

Reactions: AntonyC

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I currently couldn't find a way to lock my bike with both of those, to their requirements. f doing things and I'd prefer to legitimately meet the requirements.
It is quite easy really. Look at picture no 1.

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
It is quite easy really. Look at picture no 1.
You mean taking off the front wheel and securing to the back?

That's not easy or practical for short stops, especially if you have any kind of physical impairment which is the reason I got an ebike.

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
It also doesn't make any sense given that the insurance doesn't cover stolen parts, only theft of the whole bike. But I'm not confident an insurance company wouldn't use the fact I hadn't secured the front QR to get out of paying for the full bike if it was stolen while the QR was not also attached to an immovable object.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
You mean taking off the front wheel and securing to the back?
Yes

That's not easy or practical for short stops, especially if you have any kind of physical impairment which is the reason I got an ebike.
It is totally ridiculous. Even if you lock your bike this way it will not increase security of whole bike at all. That is why I said I would cancel policy if I were you.

You can lock your bike to this post through front and rear wheel with use of two D locks. To do that bike must be vertical.

...but it is another ridiculous solution.

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
Yes

It is totally ridiculous. Even if you lock your bike this way it will not increase security of whole bike at all. That is why I said I would cancel policy if I were you.

You can lock your bike to this post through front and rear wheel with use of two D locks. To do that bike must be vertical.

...but it is another ridiculous solution.
Haha, you know maybe I read this early in the morning and didn't pick up that you were in agreement about the ridiculousness of it.

I have cancelled the policy but kept the backpedal recovery, more out of curiousity and the fact that I already paid for the tracker anyway. If I ever need to use it I'll update here. I'm awaiting clarification from backpedal on what their separate terms are for recovering the bike. Not sure if they have their own locking requirements.

It might be a good package for some and I hope in future having a tracker will reduce the cost of more comprehensive cover that includes mugging (is that what it would be called?) but for me it is not worth the daily hassle to stick to such strict terms when there was better cover available for about the same price.

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
To update, backpedal have assured me in writing that my bike will be attempted to be retrieved no matter what the circumstances of the theft are, no strict locking requirements etc. They have also had me add them to the PowUnity app now, to make sure they have access, even if the app is freezing for me and put me in touch with powunity to address the app issues.

I'm still waiting on any reply from Wisper regarding clarifying the insurance and a fault with my bike, unfortunately. And Sundays didn't respond either. It's all irrelevant now as I have new insurance.

Backpedal have replied very quickly to anything I've asked all week and asked me for feedback on cancelling my insurance portion so they could improve their services, so overall I've had great customer service from them.

• Informative
Reactions: Az.

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
Backpedal have told me that in the event if my bike being stolen, and the app not being accessible by me, they would be able to request access from PowUnity, with my approval presumably. So, overall that part is pretty well covered.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi, we still have not heard back from Sundays, I will write again today. It may be that we move insureres for the last lettle bit of the cover. Hopw are you getting on the the Power Unity app now? has iot stopped freezing?

All the best, David

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
Hi, we still have not heard back from Sundays, I will write again today. It may be that we move insureres for the last lettle bit of the cover. Hopw are you getting on the the Power Unity app now? has iot stopped freezing?

All the best, David
I think that would make a really good package if the insurance part was better, and more realistic locking requirements.

The app has stopped freezing for now, however I'm still not getting the alarm notification reliably. Today I moved my bike without turning the alarm off to see if I got notified, and it didn't tell me til an hour later, when I was already home. I will email them for more support when I get a chance this week, but it at least does still track the location, which is important for the backpedal guys if they ever need it. I liked the idea that I would be alerted though.