What do you think is best for me?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
KD demonstrated that you can get a very big range if you push the bike regularly above the maximum cut off speed.
Or I can get 140 miles on 16ah battery :D but I recharge every 100 miles anyway even if it isn't needed :eek:

• :D
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
A torque sensor is for a rider who is already pretty fit and wants to get fitter
I find this assertion fascinating. I don't consider myself remotely fit. I have some nerve issues caused by MS that limit my walking range to about 20-25 minutes. One of the reasons I wanted a bike was that I was conscious of the fact that the longer I'm not doing significant walking I'm losing muscle and wanted something that would mean some exercise to counteract that alongside some assistance if I need it. It's probably safe to say my legs are not especially strong.

I've only had my Wisper Torque for a couple of days so I haven't ventured far yet but I have taken it up a couple of significant hills. I've managed just fine with the combination of assist and being able to use throttle just by keeping the pedals turning for the couple of bits that were just too steep for me to manage, even with top level assistance.

So maybe it's yet more grist to the "try before you buy" mill? I just felt so much more comfortable with the torque sensor than the cadence but other folk are the opposite, whether that's to do with fitness or expectation or whatever.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Angelnorth, thanks for explaining the Wisoer Torque system better than I have!

Dave is correct a standard Torque system such as in most mid motor systems is fantastic but you do need a certain level of fitness.

The beauty of the Wisper Torque system is you get the best of both worlds.

1. A Torque system for immediate motor assistance as soon as you set off especially on hills. And the economy of power resulting in longer ranges than a standard speed sensor.

2. By either twisting the throttle or going to setting F on the handlebar Display, the torque setting is overridden and the rider gets immediate full power, no matter how much pressure is being put into the pedals.

It took a long time to perfect but we think it's unique and currently the best system on the market.

All the best, David

SteveMcG

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2016
Inverness
D8ve,
'Torque control is push the pedal and it measures how hard and multiplies that by a factor usually half, same, and double power. It's the natural cycling feel but with younger legs.'.
- is this what the Volt Pulse and Wisper 905 Torque bikes provide?

Thanks.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And with PAS the harder you push the pedal the less battery you use and the more exercise you get... :rolleyes:

My GSM - with PAS - kicks in as soon as the pedal moves and gives maximum Watts from a dead stop. The GSM is very quick away (careful what assistance level you are in, keep the front wheel on the ground) then drops down constantly until trailing off to 0 Watts drawn as you approach the 25 km/h cut off. The faster you go (in the same gear) the less Watts it draws.

The Mxus PAS needed 2 or 3 magnets to go by the detector so up to 1/4 of a revolution with the 12 magnet disk before kicking in. The Watts given depending on the assistance level until cut off speed.

This is with both motors using the same "torque simulation" sine wave controller. I think it is an illustration of the different types of power delivery, one through the drive train and the other assisting in the rear wheel.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Y
D8ve,
'Torque control is push the pedal and it measures how hard and multiplies that by a factor usually half, same, and double power. It's the natural cycling feel but with younger legs.'.
- is this what the Volt Pulse and Wisper 905 Torque bikes provide?

Thanks.
Yes that's absolutely correct. Start off without having to move the pedals more than 1mm and the more you push the more power you are rewarded with.

With the Wisper you can also twist the throttle for immediate max power without applying a lot of pressure to the pedals.

All the best, David

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Y

Yes that's absolutely correct. Start off without having to move the pedals more than 1mm and the more you push the more power you are rewarded with.

With the Wisper you can also twist the throttle for immediate max power without applying a lot of pressure to the pedals.

All the best, David
I said that without moving my lips....or fingers:D

• :D

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I find this assertion fascinating. I don't consider myself remotely fit. I have some nerve issues caused by MS that limit my walking range to about 20-25 minutes. One of the reasons I wanted a bike was that I was conscious of the fact that the longer I'm not doing significant walking I'm losing muscle and wanted something that would mean some exercise to counteract that alongside some assistance if I need it. It's probably safe to say my legs are not especially strong.

I've only had my Wisper Torque for a couple of days so I haven't ventured far yet but I have taken it up a couple of significant hills. I've managed just fine with the combination of assist and being able to use throttle just by keeping the pedals turning for the couple of bits that were just too steep for me to manage, even with top level assistance.

So maybe it's yet more grist to the "try before you buy" mill? I just felt so much more comfortable with the torque sensor than the cadence but other folk are the opposite, whether that's to do with fitness or expectation or whatever.
Hi,first of all well done to you for maintaining muscle fitness by cycling ,despite your MS.
I think that by using the throttle you are effectively providing max power overriding the torque sensor,this is normal on most e-bikes that have a throttle fitted,you can use that technique to give max power when you need it.
However,I have customers who come up to me at cycle shows and they tell me that they have been advised to get a torque sensor bike,they are currently unfit and struggle to ride the bike up hills,they think they need a torque sensor e-bike to regain their fitness.
It's all about the degree of their unfitness,a torque sensor requires you to input power to get power out,it is a strain gauge built into the pedals. But if you have tired legs you still have to press the pedals,some e-bikes have a low ratio so you have to press the pedal hard to get max power.
With a speed sensor you are in control you select the power you need for any terrain,if your legs are tired you can select max power irrespective of the power you are inputting in the pedals.
I find a torque sensor gives a very intuitive ride,it replicates the effort you are imputing,but I am a fit guy with strong legs.
As I say it's all about the level of unfitness,which is why you need to ride a torque and speed sensor bike over the same hill to determine which one is suitable for you.
KudosDave

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Dave,

Is http://electricbikesscotland.co.uk the closest place to Inverness, where I can go for a Wisper 905 Torque demo?

I may be in Edinburgh in near future - is there a dealer there?

Cheers,
Hi Steve, Ebikes Scotland is the closest for you at the moment. John's a great guy and has a lot of brands for testing, not just Wisper.

Re Dave's reply he is absolutely correct re Torque sensors. With the Wisper you can choose between both Torque sensor or Speed sensor, so you have the best of both worlds.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Hi

We have a KTM Macina Sport 10 CX5 in stock in a 46cm frame. Still in box should be £2199 but could do a deal. It comes with 500wh battery and most powerful Bosch motor. We also stock other bikes including Wisper and many other brands which could deliver what you need. We personally deliver within around 2.5hours. With more than 20 e-bikes in stock to try you would be welcome to pay a visit.

Good luck with the search
David

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ah Perseus both those bikes have the infamous impulse motor.
Find out about that then decide if you have any interest.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Ah Perseus both those bikes have the infamous impulse motor.
Find out about that then decide if you have any interest.
I won't rush in then. Only local shops are Raleigh, 50 Cycles, Giant, Halfords and a private shop. I need a service agency at the prices quoted. I need to try the bike out as well. Virtually everyone I have asked who has bought ebikes has complaints about them especially Freego and Cyclamatic. One shop would not even repair the bikes they sold. One person complained 50 Cycles Kalkhoff would not repair the bike cause it fell to bits (not a detailed talk though).

Last edited: