What is the best budget electric bike?

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
We're in Crowthorne ,Berks

We've a brand new Powabyke City in stock.If you can collect you can have it for £450.00

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
Well if that Salisbury is full spec, it's the one that Electric Bike Shop sells for £699, so it certainly is good value. And you can always take it to the likes of the EBS for any problems that arise (as I don't suppose Makro have a bike service dept!)

Allen.
yeah full spec lpx with the lith ploy battery.and a bell:)

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
hi all.

i have got my list down to three bikes.

i have also found one on ebay and i was wondering what you guys thought of it. its the Moskino Eagle electric bicycle.

heres my top three:

1.izip trailz enlightened

2.cyclamtic power plus

3.Powacycle Salisbury lpx

i have seen some going on ebay but i am holding off at the moment until i can try some which i will be doing soon.

if any one has any other suggestions then please let me know.

thanks guys

chrisc:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
you really need to try a few bikes before making a decision.....good quality used bikes come up all the time on ebay or in the classified section here (where I got my first e bike). In the £500 price range Alien where one of the favourite choices on here but seems like they have upped the prices a bit.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
The other point, Chris, is that of how reliable a bike you'll be getting off eBay or the like. To some extent you will be better off on this site, but obviously there are no guarantees in life - or rather none if you have to buy second-hand and privately.

I know it's a problem, i.e. money, but if you could push to that Makro mark and buy new, it would obviously have less problems. Did that electric bike shop in Swindon do second-hands? At least buying from a shop you have somewhere to take it back to...

Maybe someone else here can advise you on this point: is there any way of telling whether a battery or a motor is clapping out? A bike might still run for a mile or two on a test ride, but if it claps out next week you will be upset!

Allen.

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
i think your right Allen. i am thinking of maybe saving my money and waiting to see if i can buy from a shop. i am going to try and get to some local shops to try out some bikes. but i am leaning towards getting a shop bike instead of from ebay.

i have been looking at the alien conversion kits. i do have a moutian bike and the 24v kit is in my price range. they are out of stock of the 36v. not sure what would be better.

are the conversion kits any good?

which one should i get?

thanks

chrisc

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
hi all

i am a newbie and i need some advice.

i used to do alot of cycling but due to ill health i am now finding it hard to start up again. i need to lose some weight and a friend of mine suggested an electric bike.

i have been looking at reviews and reading threads on this forum and i am a bit confused as what bike to get.

i live on the top of a hill so it is great going down but not so good coming back. i have chest related problems so normally i just get of my bike and walk the rest of the way. which takes longer.

what i am looking for is something which will help me get up the hills and also if i get to the last 2-3 miles that the bike could take over and get me home.

my budget is £300-£500. the cheaper the better.
it needs to be able to help me up hills and have a range of at least 25 miles.

i have seen the meerkat e motion which is in argos/tesco and the izip ezgo. i found both for about £300. but there are mixed reviews on both. i have also looked at the conversion kits but it seams to be more money than buying the pre-made ones.

if any body has any other suggestions then that would be great.

thanks

Chrisc :) :eek: :cool:
There is a machine just available that might tick some of your boxes. It's a tad over your budget at £550 delivered.

Don't be put off by the unsprung front forks, and anyway you could upgrade to Suntour suspension forks for £40 later on.

This machine is being marketed by forum member FrankieXu . Find his name in the "Membership list" and have a read of his postings.

His latest addition to his line-up

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Bob's (Blew it) recommendation looks good to me for the money. FrankieXu has a presence on here, sounds enthusiastic, and looks like he is in this businesses for the long term. The bike looks good value, and there is the promise of decent support.

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
well. it looks like i am going to have to put the electric bike on hold for a while. i was getting ready to go to bigbees clearance day to see if i could pick up a bargin. i went to start my car and it didnt start. not really sure whats wrong but i need to get it sorted as its my only transport at the moment. looks like i am going to have to use some of the ebike money that i had saved.

i am a bit naffed of because i was so close.

thanks to you all for your advice. i am going to keep an eye on ebay and this forum while i build up my money again.

now i am going to spend the day trying to get my car fixed.:(

have a good day.:eek:

Chrisc

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Tough crap, Chris.

At least the sky is blue.

Good luck.

Allen.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Just to add my bit again. My wife just loves her Cyclamatic plus MTB. She alternates between it and her Synergie Breeze but to be honest she comes down on the side of the Cyclamatic more.

Chrisc

Pedelecer
May 27, 2010
sl4 4nq
Thanks Allen. Ive got to use alot of my money to fix my car which is a bit of a bummer.

The cyclamatic is going to the top of my list old timer. I have found one from a shop for £500. I just need to save the money now.

Chrisc:rolleyes:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
What was wrong with the car, Chris?

A.