What's in a Name? Or, We Want Our Name Back!

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Miles Hellon said:
............. Synelec ............
I like it Miles :D: from syn (with) & electric right? Beats pedelec hands down for me!

I still feel it needs a bike or vehicle reference, how about "synebike" (pronounced sin-a-bike or sign-a-bike?): it incorporates "with" (syn) "electric" (e) & bike, also sounds like sino - quite apt given where most bikes are made :D.

Could also read as synibike: the i for intelligence :rolleyes: or synerbike, as in synergy + bike.

Snike or sbike (pronounced spike), for short :D.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Looking back through this thread, just noticed many similar suggestions to my post above:

Cyberbike, cell-bike - JohnInStockie
Cybike, synelec - Miles Hellon
Spike (semi-powered bike) - Quicken

They're all rather accurate as names, but not sure "they're all simple, easy to say, rolling off the tongue without the slightest effort" as flecc wanted... like velosolex, hoover, vespa etc.

Maybe its one or the other: accurate or catchy, after all, an ipod isn't a pod for "i's" now, is it? :rolleyes: and "bicycle" became "bike"...

There's lots more possibilities anyway :D.

Anyway, my favourites & their abbreviations right now are:

synebike/synibike, shortens to:
sybike, or sybyke if you like symmetry not spelling, or snike/snyke (now it sounds like snake?...) sbike/sbyke or synike (cynic!).

exo/exa/x-bike, shortens to xike or exike(pronounced zike).
(also sounds like "exercise", or the bike with the X-factor :D).

Then we're heading back to velex (Miles), just I'm not keen on the word "velo"...

A few more variants...

Synex? (Vicks!)
Syner-v (v for vehicle)
Synacycle - too much of a mouthful, shortens to "synacle/synicle"!
sycle? (pronounced cycle)
sybicle?
sycloped?
syclops! hahaha!
synerped (close to some of Miles' ideas)

Got to have some Italian names?! :D.

Turn moped around and you get "pedamo" (pronounced "ped-arm-o" or just "ped-a-mo"), sounds Italian? (apologies to Leonardo!) - also puts the pedal first, before motor - its a bike first!! (hope you like that one flecc :) I did a search & seems its not in use! A lot like "pedalo" - must be the W-bike ideas surfacing! Easy to say & catchy too, I think? Just a shame about the "ped" first syllable, but if "pedalo" is ok, then why not?

Variants: pedimo, pedemo, pedalmo, pedalimo, pedalemo, pedelemo, pedalomo, pedalamo (A bit like the "pendulino" trains?).

I like the brevity of the short names :).

2 more for now: binamo/bynamo (pron. buy-na-mo) and cyclamo.
Stuart.

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I discovered this thread at the weekend, and was thinking about it last night as I was cycling home from work completely soaking wet!

As Flecc says, I think this is very important as good names can save mediocre products and bad names can kill decent ones! If the industry could unite around a better one it could make a huge difference.

I think you are on the right lines, Stuart, with acronyms, ideally with three letters. They have much fewer restrictions and there are lots of good ones not taken yet! I have to say I don't particularly like acronmyms, but I do notice it being a macro-trend in naming of things, companies, product categories, etc. There are some very successful ones in the transport world, such as BMW, TGV

The trick is almost to pick the letters first so that they sound good and then backfill with words that are relevant enough.

On my wet ride home last night I was trying to work out what a good one needed. I feel it should start with a strong-sounding first letter, have a second letter that doesnt' get emphasised, and a third letter where the sound trails off - like BMW and TGV.

We are lucky as we have a couple of 'strong' letters that we could start with - B for bicycle/battery, E for electricity or P for power, pedal etc.

Anybody a) agree with my thinking and b) got any bright ideas?

Frank

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
......... Orb-e .........:D

[Pronounced "Orby"...]

Last edited:

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
Along the lines of TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse):

VGV
Vega (Velo a Grande Assistance)?
Veta (Velo a Tout Assistance)?
Vev Velo a Vitesse
Ve Velo electrique
Vi Velo Intelligent

And a few more ideas:

HSC - High Speed Cycle
HSB - High Speed Bike

I-motion - I-mo for short
I-move

E-mo (Electric motion)

I'm not too busy at work today so I may dream up a few more...

Paul

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Paul, I like I-mo.

If we could get something like that to stick it would do the trick. Trouble is that like I-pod it it would probably only stick for a mass market product, which our bikes are long way off being.

The acronym idea is also a good one Frank, and there's some other good ones coming through now. Who knows, we may yet start a transport revolution!

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
regular (for unassisted bikes) & e-regular (for assisted)? Rather like the e-regular/irregular theme...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Regular brings to mind long ago halfmedley, when the Safety Bicycle that we have today was first invented, the one we know as the Penny Farthing was called the Ordinary to distinguish it.

E-regular. Sounds faintly anarchic! :)

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Hmm...

Electronic Bicycle

nope, too long, shorten it a bit

Electronic Cycle

still too long

Tron Cycle

Tron? oh well in that case

LightCycle!

because it makes light work of cycling (and you can't deny the greatness of Tron) :D

And cars are therefore renamed Recognisers because there's so many that would like to stomp on LightCycles.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
How about INV (intelligent vehicle) Frank?

For some reason Miles, Orb-e makes me think of whales... :D.
I like I-mo too Paul.

Maybe not just one name is needed, can be in two parts? e.g. I-mo, then a more descriptive term?

Changing tack:

Shuttlebug, buggybike, bugalug (with a trailer for "lugging" loads) :D.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
all right then i was keeping this name secret for now but

electrically assisted battery powered pedal if you want two wheeled cycle for those who want or need help
short snappy and to the point don't you think.:rolleyes:

mike

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
OmO would lend itself well to a graphical logo, the "O's" as wheels, but already a washing powder... among a million other things... sponsorship? :D.
OgO?

Or, if you want to be tied into a battery type.... OmnO - can be made a logo symbolizing MnO2 - Manganese dioxide, used in some Lithium batteries :D. I'm sure you could fit Li for lithium in there too - OlimnO or Liomno perhaps :rolleyes:. Now, what about Lithium iron phosphate, LiFeO4... the 4-wheel variant perhaps... or dual-motor bike :rolleyes:

OmnigO - the (non-mexican) go-anywhere bike?! (OmnO/OmO for short).

(omni - all; universally cf: omnibus, omnivore etc.)

omnibus adj. of, relating to or providing many things at once. Fits the bill?

Animo?

Last edited: