What's in a Name? Or, We Want Our Name Back!

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Is that a near-anagram of the Italian "bicyclette" Jeff??

Velomo movelo velomoto motovelo velo-go go-velo

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Instead of motorbike, what about RotorBike! :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are some really good one's Stuart, but they only really work if it becomes mass market. I-mo for example.

At the moment it's as meaningless to people as I-pod would be if that hadn't taken off world wide.

It's a sort of hand in hand process, the name needs very wide product acceptance, but for wide product acceptance the good name is needed, so they need to catch on together.

It's sad we lost moped to scooters in the early days, since that was perfect for our bikes.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
It's sad we lost moped to scooters in the early days, since that was perfect for our bikes.
I never did understand how low powered motorcycles and scooters without pedals came to be known as mopeds. By definition moped means motor assisted pedal cycle. As you say, the perfect description for our machines.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Well, I guess we could try to reclaim moped somehow, though I guess it has the wrong association at the moment: maybe if we can think up a similar but different name which, in time, will likely shorten to moped with the new association, so long as mopeds as they are now either are renamed or are just much less numerous of course... :rolleyes: like motorped or motoped or mopedal (did you see my "pedamo" idea?).

How about if we just try to settle on a good name for us to use, which we like; maybe that will catch on in time if the bikes do? To reclaim "moped" requires mopeds/scooters to either be renamed or become less common as I said: it could happen naturally if "ebikes" supercede "mopeds" in number/popularity but hard to see otherwise. We do have the best claim for the name though, as both flecc and Ian say, so if we can change the usage & association, job done! :).

So if we pick a good name we like, we use that, and if the bikes take off then thats how they'll become known. To be honest, we could even call them
mopeds here, but that would become confusing to others & newcomers :D.

There does seem to be a lack of "presence" of a product that doesn't have a simple, recognisable name/identity and, joking aside, it is a serious issue.

What are they called in China?!

Stuart.

Last edited: