Who can remember these two top of the range bicycles.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi to all you bicycle lovers,

Does anyone remember the one and only Raleigh Chopper bike????
Does anyone remember the one and only Raleigh Grifter bike????

Anyway,yesterday i google searched Raleigh Chopper bike and had come across one with an electric motor fitted to the rear wheel,now isn't that a wonderful work of art?

Mountainsport.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Only problem with that bike was the name.
I really wanted a Raleigh Chopper for xmas when a boy.
Wish I'd spoken my desire a little more clearly.
Christmas arrived and there next to my beaming mum was my shiny shopper.
Still receive counselling today...

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
They did a brand new version of the Chopper not long ago. My original was a Purple MK2 with the little rack on the back. What's a Shiny Shopper Bob?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
They did a brand new version of the Chopper not long ago. My original was a Purple MK2 with the little rack on the back. What's a Shiny Shopper Bob?
My mum was a bit hard of hearing...

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
I had a Raleigh chopper as a kid. I left it behind when I left home. Seems my dad gave it away :(

I loved that bike.

Remember Grifters as well. A family that lived near us bought them for all of their kids.

I am a bit unsure of whether I would want either now as my frame has grown a bit.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
At least the bikes frame would cope. They weighed a ton each those bikes.
True, but it strengthened your leg muscles. Probably gave us all a good cardio vascular workout as well.

Besides looking cool was higher on the list of essentials

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Most kids bikes still weigh a ton, but not many kids ride bikes these days, or if they do they don't go far.

I'm sure my Chopper did me good, apart from the time my front wheel got stuck in a curved drain grid and I head-butted a brick wall..

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
Most kids bikes still weigh a ton, but not many kids ride bikes these days, or if they do they don't go far.

I'm sure my Chopper did me good, apart from the time my front wheel got stuck in a curved drain grid and I head-butted a brick wall..
The family with all the kids with Grifters had a shed full of various bikes and bike bits. When we werent going on rides we would just hang out near the bike sheds (ooh err). There was always wheels or handlebars being swapped out. If the brakes didnt fit afterwards there was always the soles of your feet :)

Raleigh Tomahawks were also part of the collection. I also remember bull horn handlebars. Great wide things that they used to cover in grip tape.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I also remember bull horn handlebars. Great wide things that they used to cover in grip tape.
My little drop handlebar Raleigh Hustler ended up with some bull horn handlebars for a while, everyone had them didn't they.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Artstu,

LOL,LOL,LOL i'm cracking up now,maybe Bob meant a Raleigh Chipper.:eek:

Mountainsport.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Sorry Bob,

My correction,i just remembered there was a Raleigh Shopper bike,so you are not crazy after all.:eek:

Mountainsport.
Probably a better bike actually. Thinking about it one of my Female friends had one of those for years and years.

and what about the lights we used to have

Last edited:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
And then along came the five speed,suddenly i went BERSERK!!!!!!!!!!
Even at the age of fifty.

Mountainsport.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
And then along came the five speed,suddenly i went BERSERK!!!!!!!!!!
Even at the age of fifty.
I was always a hub gear fan, I had to wait a long time before I could return back to hub gears. I think you must be quite a bit older than me?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Probably a better bike actually. Thinking about it one of my Female friends had one of those for years and years.

and what about the lights we used to have

Ahrgh! This is really beginning to hurt... Let's forget Raleigh Shoppers shall we? Please?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I'd be happy to ride a shopper these days, just the job for popping down to Morrisons for the shopping, does that make me odd? Bob there are some canal barge dwellers that still ride them. So if you're wanting more happy childhood memories pop down to the canal this lunchtime :p