Who can remember these two top of the range bicycles.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Hmm wouldn't it make a nice discreet e-bike. That might might just annoy the lycra's (not sure I like that term) even more up the local hills. A bit of shopping would complete the picture.

This ones a bit too far away for me Raleigh Shopper | eBay

Actually, I quite fancy taking a dirt-cheap old snotter like that and turning it into something good-looking and useful. Just the job for my trips to the shops in decent weather, especially loaded with 500W@36V.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I tend to think a bargee was one who actually worked for a living. :)
Mmmmm, steering a canal boat along a canal (with goods on board), as opposed to steering a canal boat along a canal (with people on board).

I'd personally find the latter less restful at times!

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Probably a better bike actually. Thinking about it one of my Female friends had one of those for years and years.

and what about the lights we used to have

What do mean used to have, i still have two , and i suppose the chopper evolved to BMX and the Bomber hey.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
I'd be happy to ride a shopper these days, just the job for popping down to Morrisons for the shopping, does that make me odd? Bob there are some canal barge dwellers that still ride them. So if you're wanting more happy childhood memories pop down to the canal this lunchtime :p
That explains where the rusty bike came from. It must have fell off the barge into the canal

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
That explains where the rusty bike came from. It must have fell off the barge into the canal
Now if the bargee only had a pole to hand he couldn't fish it out. Hence the original phrase "Couldn't touch it with a barge pole"

More astute bargees also carried a hook. They then made their fortune selling slightly damp second hand bikes, retired and bought cabin cruisers instead. They still retained a pole to mock their former colleagues.

C

Cyclezee

I can remember getting my son a second hand Raleigh Tomahawk when he was at primary school and we lived in Chessington about 200 yards from what was just a zoo in those days.

Most evenings when I got home from work he would say dad dad, can we go for a bike ride.

This actually meant could I hang on to the back of the backrest whilst he sat on it and run up and down the huge deserted car park hoping that one day I would be able to let go and he would pedal away by himself.

I'm sure he didn't take that long to get the hang of it, It just seemed like it at the time.

In contrast his sister only sat on a bike about half a dozen times and she was away.

Ah, nostalgia......ain't what it used to be;)

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I can remember getting my son a second hand Raleigh Tomahawk when he was at primary school and we lived in Chessington about 200 yards from what was just a zoo in those days.

Most evenings when I got home from work he would say dad dad, can we go for a bike ride.

This actually meant could I hang on to the back of the backrest whilst he sat on it and run up and down the huge deserted car park hoping that one day I would be able to let go and he would pedal away by himself.

I'm sure he didn't take that long to get the hang of it, It just seemed like it at the time.

In contrast his sister only sat on a bike about half a dozen times and she was away.

Ah, nostalgia......ain't what it used to be;)
That is so so true my friend, things will never be the same. There were four types of sporting activities throughout the year, can anyone tell me them? And that was why children were hardly ever bored in those days.

Mountainsport.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
That is so so true my friend, things will never be the same. There were four types of sporting activities throughout the year, can anyone tell me them? And that was why children were hardly ever bored in those days.

Mountainsport.
Running from the parkie; knocking doors and running away; scrumping; legging it from the polis (who were much fitter then). It certainly kept us fit and active.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Running from the parkie; knocking doors and running away; scrumping; legging it from the polis (who were much fitter then). It certainly kept us fit and active.
Hi Dave,

You are being too decent about this,it wasn't called knocking on doors and running away,it was called "KNOCK DOWN GINGER" and please do not ask me why?:)

Mountainsport.