Who can remember these two top of the range bicycles.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I'd be happy to ride a shopper these days, just the job for popping down to Morrisons for the shopping, does that make me odd? Bob there are some canal barge dwellers that still ride them. So if you're wanting more happy childhood memories pop down to the canal this lunchtime :p
Canal Barge ??

Dont let the owners hear you call them that

They are narrow boats and the wider ones are known as broad beams

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
And then came along the Jubilee Raleigh Chopper Bike,Please let's all stand for the Queens National Anthem.

Mountainsport.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Narrow canal barge boat owners then :p
Nope a narrow boat is not a barge. Never has been and never will be.

At a push the broad / wide beam ones are but not the ones that people live in only those that carry cargo.

Seriously there are people on the canals who really get umpity at the use of the word barge. Stupid I know but true.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I stand corrected, and I'll try and remember not to mention the word barge, thank you :)

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Nope a narrow boat is not a barge. Never has been and never will be.

At a push the broad / wide beam ones are but not the ones that people live in only those that carry cargo.

Seriously there are people on the canals who really get umpity at the use of the word barge. Stupid I know but true.
So where did the barge pole she didn't want to touch me with come from?

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
So where did the barge pole she didn't want to touch me with come from?
From a barge of course !!!!!

A barge is a large (wider than 7 ft) open topped boat that is towed or propelled and steered by a barge pole.

As a narrow boat normally is neither large, open topped or propelled and steered by a barge pole it obviously is not a barge.

Also to be more confusing a small open topped boat that can be towed by a narrow boat or propelled and steered by a pole is called a Butty

Last edited: