Wisper 906 Alpino first impressions

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge
A Fault!

This morning I found a minor/major problem with the Alpino's lights depending on your viewpoint, In my case I think it's a major one! :(

This morning in Cambridge we had our first significant rainfall for weeks and although the ambient light levels were high enough to fool the sensor into not turning the lights on, I like to ride with my lights on in the rain! Ok, I had my rear backups on my rucksack but, when I get my rear panniers so I do not have to use the rucksack? I do not want to have clip-on lights when there is an integrated lighting system already on the bike!

It is generally accepted that lights should be used in adverse conditions, so why is there no independent way of turning on the lights on the Alpino? It's my first moan about the design and yes, I shall be looking for a solution! Any comments?

Regards,

Mike.

P.S. I'm still in love though! :p

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Range with the 16.5A controller:
I've done a 35 mile trip with the new controller and I can't see any difference in battery use, in fact it feels a bit better than the old controller when the battery is half empty. I don't use maximum power much during my journey which will explain the negligable difference but the extra power is noticable and welcome on the steeper hills.

I'd like manual control of the lights as well, I haven't got my sensors working yet but that's my fault as I didn't get back to Norman.

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
In my humble opinion........

If the light sensor is obvious, I`d simply put a bit of tape over it so the lights are permenantly on.

Integrated lights on an e-bike use such a small amount of power compared to the motor that I see no advantage in having them turned off, and personally always ride with mine on - even in fine weather.

Drivers with tinted windows and sunglasses on at this time of year driving between full sunlight and then deep shade need all the help they can get to see cyclists. If I am that cyclist in the shade I want the driver to see me as early as possible and then hopefully give me space.

Override the clever sensor and keep the lights on all the time - it will have virtually no impact on range or performance and may help keep you safe.

All the best

Bob_about

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
In my humble opinion........

If the light sensor is obvious, I`d simply put a bit of tape over it so the lights are permenantly on.
When my sensors worked I tried covering up parts to get it to turn on but I had to cover the whole thing, the PDF in MAB's post helps so I'll have another look.

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
A fix for the light problem?

Ok, after a lot of faffing around with the LCD/computer I have come up with a fix that seems to work?

After turning on the LCD/computer press the set button once and the little light symbol appears in the display. Now cover the whole front light with something dark (in my case my beanie hat!) and hey presto lights come on and more to the point stay on! Not very elegant but, as I said it works! I get the impression that this LCD/computer is a lot more advanced than the very basic instructions shown in the manual. Maybe someone at Wisper can provide more detailed operating instructions, please?

Regards,

Mike.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
After turning on the LCD/computer press the set button once and the little light symbol appears in the display. Now cover the whole front light with something dark (in my case my beanie hat!) and hey presto lights come on and more to the point stay on!
I wonder if my problem is as simple as turning the LCD backlight on, I didn't realise they are linked.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Mike

The light we use is different from in the ones in the manual as it works directly from the battery and has a sensor so the body looks like the basic as a switch has been made redundant..

I think that re-setting the LCD controls is simply turning the power off to the light and back on again. If the light re powers on with a beany hat strategically placed to fool the lamp into thinking it's dark the light will illuminate.

There is a very small hole underneath the lamp over which one can stick a little piece of tape to do the job of the beany hat!

I am still awaiting a reply to my questions to the manufacturer.

All the best

David

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
will there be any way of retrofitting one of these lamps to a 905SE - or an equivalent (I do understand if the controller does not have the correct output, as when I last worked on my bike (I successfully replaced the block using the advice given here) I was more anxious to get everything back on the road..

I had a look on the lamp manufacturers site, which seems to randomly switch between English, Dutch and German throughout irrespective of what language you select. Whilst my German is reasonable and I am trying to learn Dutch, I was hoping not to get the language lesson and engineering challenge at quite the same time..

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Alex, I am sure there is as we use the light now on all our bikes. On the Bafang system used on the bikes you are questioning we don't use the light sensor but an on off switch on the handle bar controls. I would be happy to get a set sent over with the next container.

All the best

David

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
not happy with your Cytronex??

(ps. they HAVE gone very quite on this forum!)
Oops missed this one LOL.

Yes still happy with the Cytronex's they are road bikes only though. I just fancied a more off-road, expedition type bicycle that could carry a load and being an ebike nut, decided that a kit would be appropriate. :D

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Oh Cock!

Hmmmmm.... my fix doesn't work! So it would appear that we are back to square one!

Mussels "I wonder if my problem is as simple as turning the LCD backlight on, I didn't realise they are linked." seems that they are not linked!

David "I think that re-setting the LCD controls is simply turning the power off to the light and back on again." Correct! That is the case as the lights only stay for approximately 45 seconds. I wish I checked before posting my unfounded results. :eek:

Not sure where we go from here, hopefully the manufacturers will have the answer?

Regards,

Mike.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
That's exactly what I fitted, 700x38c Marathon Plus.

1. The tyres are 47-622 or 700x45C or 28x1 and 5/8, depending on what system you prefer. The Rim is 622x17.
2. The puncture was caused by something in the road, the rim tape exposing the spoke holes is a potential puncture.
Slime seems to be a marmite thing, it works well in tubeless tyres but I've not seen any evidence that it works with tubes and last night it certainly didn't.
I think your gearing is lower than mine, I find 1st gear is a little high and the gap between gears is a bit big so I certainly wouldn't skip them on the way up. I can pedal up to 45mph in 8th, if yours is lower then it would explain the difference in opinion.
If the tyres can't cope with the brakes then I'll be back on the balloon tyres soon.

I'm happy as the Presta valve in the Schraeder hole hasn't gone pop yet. :)
And those Marathon Plus tyres are coming off again, I've done several runs in different conditions and they add about 10% to my journey times. They don't feel as good as the Kendas either to ride on and are starting to make my commute a chore.
I'd rather have the odd puncture.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And those Marathon Plus tyres are coming off again, I've done several runs in different conditions and they add about 10% to my journey times. They don't feel as good as the Kendas either to ride on and are starting to make my commute a chore.
I'd rather have the odd puncture.
That's interesting Mussels. I found no difference after checking speeds and slight gradient roll-down speeds on my two eZee bikes when swapping from Kendas to MPs.

Maybe differences in the tyre pressures we use could account for that in part, though on one bike the MPs were narrower width than the Kendas, which would help the MPs of course.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
That's interesting Mussels. I found no difference after checking speeds and slight gradient roll-down speeds on my two eZee bikes when swapping from Kendas to MPs.

Maybe differences in the tyre pressures we use could account for that in part, though on one bike the MPs were narrower width than the Kendas, which would help the MPs of course.
The MPs are narrower and at a higher pressure so I'd expect them to be faster. I'm going to do some throttle only runs on a flat piece of smooth track before and after I change them to see what the difference is. The only other change is the new rim on the back but that shouldn't have made a drastic difference.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I agree with Flecc on this one. I have found the MP`s to be superb, no rolling resistance I`ve ever noticed on any of my bikes, in fact quite the opposite.
I just fitted a set to my wifes Breeze with 28" wheels(hang on I`ll ask her)

She says she hasn`t noticed any difference and for the record the original tyres were quite slick.

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
I have to say............. and I have not done the miles/kilometers that Mussels has done that the Kenda's, seem to be holding up well.

Sod's law will now take effect:eek:

Regards,

Mike.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough

I put the Kenda tyres back on at the weekend and there was hardly any difference this morning, it was just noticable but not significant enough to bother changing the tyres over. Plus the MPs feel much better in fast corners than the Kendas.
I made two other changes at the same time as fitting the MP, I had a new rear rim and a new controller. The new rim could have added a couple of minutes to my commute and if the MP added another two minutes then it looks like a more significant difference. The controller should have reduced my time slightly and even though I can feel the difference I don't expect it to be noticable in my journey times. I'll use the MPs until I wear them out and then probably give Big Apples or Supermoto tyres a go next spring.
Now I need to work out how to improve my times a bit more, I can see this becoming an obsession. :)