Wisper 906 Alpino first impressions

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yep all slimed up and with the Dodgy Kenda tyres! :D I still think they are brilliant!
I've also had good experience with the Kendas, 18 months on two bikes with no punctures and the wear rate seemed low.

I'm not so supportive of the slime though, as Mussels found, when it lets you down as it so often does, a puncture can be nigh on impossible to repair out on the road once that sticky fluid spreads over the tube surface.

I've tried Slime and alternatives and have never had any success, so I believe that should be a customer choice item rather than standard. If supplied as standard the first thing I'd do is change both tubes.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
the rear tyre I had actually got a hole in the sidewall :eek: - and I had always kept them at correct pressures etc I decided better to be safe than sorry and change both.. I wouldn't be surprised though if the tyres have had a design change since. Ironically similar Kenda tyres are on my Powacycle Salisbury (perhaps an earlier type?) and I've not had those problems and only a couple of punctures.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
the rear tyre I had actually got a hole in the sidewall :eek: - and I had always kept them at correct pressures etc I decided better to be safe than sorry and change both.. I wouldn't be surprised though if the tyres have had a design change since. Ironically similar Kenda tyres are on my Powacycle Salisbury (perhaps an earlier type?) and I've not had those problems and only a couple of punctures.
I had three Kenda tyres go the same way but only on the back, the new ones in use now seem quite different.

Leesome

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2010
Possible solution poor fitting rim tape is fit that plastic inner tube protector, then fit the rim tape; plastic strip help in place, no holes for the inner tube to find.

Also found slime tubes be a waste of funds, when came puncture repair with a tyre swilling with slime, just a no go when your out of the workshop.

Better with Marathons, heavy duty inner tube, and if want to gamble buy a can of tyre (car) inflate hope its holds. Few hundred miles on the Marathon plus 20" rear and no problems. Forgot. also those inner tubes that don't require wheel be removed - must buy some.

Last edited:

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge
Need more input.

Hi Mussels,

just one more fact I would like to establish on the Puncture/Slime/Tyre topic on the 906 Alpino

Quote: "The kenda tyre does not however make a good shoulder strap, 10 miles with that wrapped round me was fun." :eek:

Now the Kenda is off the rim and your shoulder:D Is there any way you can weigh it please? I can't find any information on those tyres. The reason I ask is that. the tyre you have replaced it weighs in at 940 grms and the tyres I am looking at for a timely(?) replacement

Schwalbe UK

are almost half the weight at 570 grms and I think the profile will suit this areas cyclepaths, roads and my riding style ;) Although, if my memory serves me right, the Kenda's are semi-slick as well?

Cheers,

Mike.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Off the top of my head they felt about the same weight, I might remember to measure it this weekend.
500g tyres are likely to not have steel beading, nothing wrong with that but will cost slightly more. I've had heavy tyres and light tyres and never noticed the difference.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Oops, broken spoke time in the back wheel. :(
I noticed the rear rim was out of true and felt a bit odd when riding, when I had a close look I have a broken spoke.
I reckon it's down to a combination of things: Budget rim, high bumpy mileage, poor build and the wrong spokes.
Budget rim - It gets ok reviews and for a cheap rim seems quite good but it needs a well built wheel to keep it in shape.
High bumpy mileage - about 1000km over London's nice streets.
Poor build - Machine built and the spokes came loose after 100 miles, I had tightened them up but obviously not enough.
Wrong spokes - I don't think 13g is used on normal bikes and the motor is in the front wheel so why put such thick and unflexible spokes in a standard rear wheel?
The bike is in London and there is a CycleSurgery nearby so I just need to source the bits, now where did I put that spoke calculator?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Oops, broken spoke time in the back wheel. :(
I noticed the rear rim was out of true and felt a bit odd when riding, when I had a close look I have a broken spoke.
I reckon it's down to a combination of things: Budget rim, high bumpy mileage, poor build and the wrong spokes.
Budget rim - It gets ok reviews and for a cheap rim seems quite good but it needs a well built wheel to keep it in shape.
High bumpy mileage - about 1000km over London's nice streets.
Poor build - Machine built and the spokes came loose after 100 miles, I had tightened them up but obviously not enough.
Wrong spokes - I don't think 13g is used on normal bikes and the motor is in the front wheel so why put such thick and unflexible spokes in a standard rear wheel?
The bike is in London and there is a CycleSurgery nearby so I just need to source the bits, now where did I put that spoke calculator?
Sorry to hear of the wheel problem Andrew, are you saying the bike is badly built or just the wheel? It is machine built of course, hence we do advise customers to have their spokes tightened after a couple of hundred miles, this is a free service from your Wisper supplier.

Is the front wheel OK?

We are considering using lighter spokes at the moment (14g) but problems are so rare now that we are not sure whether it is worth while, so your input is of massive interest. We are looking at the 14g as they will reduce weight but we are not certain they will add strength.

Is there a problem with the Alexrim? This is a huge upgrade to the budget rims we used to use, again we have not heard problems.

All the best

David

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
It's just the wheel build that's the problem (the bike as a whole seems well put together) and seems a common complaint with machine built wheels.
The rim itself is not bad but I think doesn't work well with the machine build, a stronger rim or a better build would probably solve the problem. As it needs rebuilding anyway I'll upgrade to a rim and spokes that are more suitable for the riding I do.
When I borrowed the '09 905se with Alex Rims it took me a month to break the spokes which was much better than 1-2 weeks on the old rims (or the four hours it lasted after the first rebuild by the retailer), after SJS hand built my 905 rear wheel with a Rhyno rim I had no problems whatsoever. At least now we know it wasn't the motor causing the problems.
I think a few people are going to experience a problem but not a lot of people
13g spokes are stiffer than 14g so won't absorb shocks as well, this could have contributed to my break as it is at the hub end and a little more flex may have stopped it.
The front wheel seems fine and the spokes have always been tighter in that wheel.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Andrew

As I said we do currently have some Swiss 14g spokes on trial. The motor manufacturers recommend 13g but like you we think a lighter spoke with more give would be a better solution, I will keep you informed.

All the best

David

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I spoke to the mechanic at Cycle Surgery and he reckons it should be fine after a repair so I've booked it in to be done there next week. Previous experience makes me sceptical but I'll give it a try.

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
A letter for me!

A note about the process if you are using cyclescheme.co.uk

When I applied for mine I was impressed at how easy it was and how quickly it got approved - right up to the stage you are now at!

In my case I waited 4 weeks and then started chasing only to find the invoice had not been recieved.

Bob_about
I'm impressed, the cyclescheme voucher arrived today! Thats only 8 days from approval!! Maybe the e-mail to the head of our payroll dept helped? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I shall be on the phone in the morning to the LBS to find out when I shall be able to pick up my 906 Alpino! I feel like a expectant father again! :D

Mike.

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
First ride impressions!

Well then am I impressed? Oh yes! :D :D Ok, the Alpino is my first e-bike and having done 47k around Cambridge this evening (Battery still showing full!) I cannot understand why I didn't get one before! My little commute to work is going to be a whole lot more pleasurable than in the past!

I'm sure that not cycling for the last month and a half has helped my knee but, I seemed to be averaging 28-32kph whenever I glanced at the readout while at my cruising speed and no pain when I got back! Did find that 6th gear was the most comfortable gear to use at those speeds. Note to self............must get a hat that stays on my head...........blew off three times LOL! :rolleyes: More so when I get used to 7th and 8th gears but, at the moment I find those a bit of a strain , so I didn't use them much.

Build quality from this little jaunt seems excellent, no squeaks , rattles etc. Although the motor is definitely noisier than the demonstrator that I rode, hopefully after a few? miles it will calm down. Pulling power in my mind is very good, obviously I can't compare to anything else ( surprised a few keen cyclists on the only real steep incline in Cambridge :cool: ) but, I am sure that until I feel the need for more speed this is going to suit me fine!

More to follow

Cheers from a very happy boy,

Mike.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm not the only one anymore. :)
The motor does get much quieter, it makes quite a noise to start with and I'm not sure it will ever be silent but I don't notice it anymore.

goeco ireland

Jan 16, 2009
Just want to comment after reading all yours for the last hour lads. I know I am a Wisper dealer, the only one in my Country in fact but I am coming from a different angle. I took delivery of a 706 & 906 2 weeks ago, We run electric bike touring holidays here in Ireland & our fleet is made up of 705 & 905 14ah bikes. I rode the 706 along the first half of the 43mile trip & my first thought was that I a going to have to change the whole bloody fleet now because this looks so good...I gave all the holiday makers a chance to ride the alpino's on the way back & they loved it, mind you we did stop at a local pier by the Shannon half way & my wife had Irish coffee's for everyone (More whisky than coffee really) so getting any real sense from the Germans on that trip home was harder than usual, funny though! The comments back at the hotel whilst trying the black stuff were very good, they said the Black complimented the White of the alpino, I'll send you some pics, so a thumbs up from Germany as well as Ireland, Oh we had a French couple as well so three birds with one stone david. The 706 did fall over at the pier without warning but so did two Germans, I think that was my Wifes fault........:eek:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Alipnos

Thanks for the great comments, the Alpinos are rapidly becoming our best sellers despite their higher prices, indeed we have a batch of 26"706Alpinos on the way.

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Soup up your Alpino

We have now have tested the 16.5A controller and this will be fitted to all new models from now in place of the 14.5 increasing power by about 15%.

16.5A controller upgrades are available supplied and fitted FOC to all Alpino and 906xc customers, they are in stock now, so if anyone would like to soup up their 906, or 706 drop me a line at dmiall@me.com and I will make arrangements.

All the best

David

Leesome

Feb 8, 2010
It strikes me that waiting till later this year (or into next year :confused: ) will get us an even better bike, as we're promised a) 16.5 amp controller b) hydraulic brakes c) the option of a 20.5 A/hr battery [80 mile range?]

It's the latter battery I'd like to ask about. I notice the 8 A/hr and 14A/hr ones are touted as 37V nominal but this as 36V nominal. Is there anything significant in this? Just a Typo or different technology?
Now if you install a 20ah lifepo4 battery then I'm a convert! Managed on my DIY conhis 36v 750w squeeze 43miles, that includes some decent inclines around Stirling area.

:)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sorry cant oblige!

We do have the new 21Ah 36V Panasonic battery on trial though. Give us a couple of months and it will be here. The 0.75KWh I am told is AWSOME especially when put through the new Dapush 350W motor, just delivered to Canada.

I am trialingt myself tomorrow, can't wait! :cool:

All the best

David

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Sorry cant oblige!

We do have the new 21Ah 36V Panasonic battery on trial though. Give us a couple of months and it will be here.
will it fit all 900 series? what are the dimensions of it? I have a extra rear lamp on the seatpost of my 905 and would like to keep this if possible..