Wisper 906 Alpino first impressions

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge
Hello All,

Well, I was hoping to have more first impressions to share with you about my wonderful Alpino, unfortunately my weekends planned excursions were ruined by an iPhone app.:mad: . http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/charging-post/6217-sonic-grenade-app.html

So it was a weekend to forget, although the weather here was not really cycling friendly, I would have been interested to see how the Alpino coped with the blustery conditions, very well, no doubt!

What little I can tell you is, having done only another 37km the battery is still showing 3/4 charge! So that is 84km without a charge so far (Will I need the new 21Ah battery when it becomes available? Don't think so at this rate!) ( big smile ). When the battery has been conditioned I may push it a bit harder, at the moment I am mostly using 50% -70% assistance one of the benefits of living in this part of the country very few hills and no steep ones at that.

Comfort wise I have found the larger frame and 700 rims a bonus for my 6' 4"/34" inside leg spindly bod over the other Wispers and other e-bikes I tried. Not so sure about the saddle, need some long rides to test that (up until my last bike I had a Brooks B17 Imperial which was supremely comfortable after years of use until I left it on the bike one night, wasn't there in the morning!) . Love the grips though, something I never really paid much attention to in the past, these are very comfortable on my hands.

One thing that is definitely required is a louder warning device, had a white van man try and do a u-turn in front of me! He obviously saw me but, as I came to rapid halt (good brakes!) and mouthed a few choice words at him, his retort was " you shouldn't have been going so f***** fast!" Lol!! I really fancy one of those old those old fashioned Ahoooogah horns but, I'm not quite sure how to integrate a 12v horn into a 36v system? Also, I think even if it could be done it may be a large drain on the battery if used a lot? So, a pump up Air Zound may be the best bet for white van man, buses and the like!

Anyway, thats about all I can relate at the moment, I have some painting and decorating to do over the next few evenings and it has to be done (I think you understand why!) or else there will be words. Shame, the weather looks good, so maybe more impressions at the end of the week?

Regards,

Mike.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Sorry cant oblige!

We do have the new 21Ah 36V Panasonic battery on trial though. Give us a couple of months and it will be here. The 0.75KWh I am told is AWSOME especially when put through the new Dapush 350W motor, just delivered to Canada.

I am trialingt myself tomorrow, can't wait! :cool:

All the best

David
out of curiosity; does the dapush 350watt motor share the same dimensions as your regular 250 watt. pics?

= 21Ah. damn that impressive. only the Optibike's 22Ah compares

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I spoke to the mechanic at Cycle Surgery and he reckons it should be fine after a repair so I've booked it in to be done there next week. Previous experience makes me sceptical but I'll give it a try.
Looks like CycleSurgery's wheel adjusting skills are on par with mine, it managed 50 miles before a spoke snapped. I'm getting it done properly this time so I've booked it in with SJS for the full works, from past experience they will spot little extras that need doing. I think the new rim will be a bit heavier at 600g but that's probably a sacrifice worth making.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Looks like CycleSurgery's wheel adjusting skills are on par with mine, it managed 50 miles before a spoke snapped. I'm getting it done properly this time so I've booked it in with SJS for the full works, from past experience they will spot little extras that need doing. I think the new rim will be a bit heavier at 600g but that's probably a sacrifice worth making.
O Dear... And this is on the rear alfina 8 wheel? or are you getting the front motor wheel sorted as well:confused:

I must say both our Alex rimmed bikes have been problem free, but your long commute probably shows up any weakness

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I've got Rigida Andra with Tungsten Carbide rims on my Thorn Nomad (SJS) (not yet electrified). They feel bombproof. I have XTR rim brakes and they are like disc brakes with lots of feedback, I can do stoppies on a trekking mountain bike !!

I think the carbide coating just about doubles the price of these rims to around £70.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I've got Rigida Andra with Tungsten Carbide rims on my Thorn Nomad (SJS) (not yet electrified)
So you got the thorn..... pics plse! So that is why you have been so quiet:rolleyes:

GalahOnTheBay

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2010
out of curiosity; does the dapush 350watt motor share the same dimensions as your regular 250 watt. pics?

= 21Ah. damn that impressive. only the Optibike's 22Ah compares
Nah Tex, the 350 is bigger.....I had the same thought myself so I rang David in China last night. These blokes are going to go far with their business...they are really responsive to customer feedback and needs. I think Glowworm is the ideal Australian distributor for them as the Glowworm folk have the same fairdinkum attitude. I figure the only way I can survive the wait for my bike is to have weekly test rides of the 906 in the shop.
cheers

GalahOnTheBay

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2010
Nah Tex, the 350 is bigger.....I had the same thought myself so I rang David in China last night. These blokes are going to go far with their business...they are really responsive to customer feedback and needs. I think Glowworm is the ideal Australian distributor for them as the Glowworm folk have the same fairdinkum attitude. I figure the only way I can survive the wait for my bike is to have weekly test rides of the 906 in the shop.
cheers

Forgot to mention that David also said the bikes coming to Australia will have the upgraded 16.5 controller.....and the 21ah battery will be available about a month or so...pricey...but that extra distance...hmmm

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
So you got the thorn..... pics plse! So that is why you have been so quiet:rolleyes:
I thought I mentioned it somewhere else, maybe not and yes I've been having fun recently, the good weather = busy weekends.

Will get photos on here soonish. Has anyone any news about the Cytronex kit ?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I thought I mentioned it somewhere else, maybe not and yes I've been having fun recently, the good weather = busy weekends.

Will get photos on here soonish. Has anyone any news about the Cytronex kit ?
Noooooo......But I have had a sneak peek of new wisper kit and it looks superb!:) I cannot say more, or else warranty will be withdrawn on both my bikes:eek:

what hub has your new bike?

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Noooooo......But I have had a sneak peek of new wisper kit and it looks superb!:) I cannot say more, or else warranty will be withdrawn on both my bikes:eek:

what hub has your new bike?
Will be looking at the Wisper kit when it's released, I wonder what the battery configuration is.

Got a Rolhoff on the Thorn, so will be looking for a front wheel motor and a simple to fit kit.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Will be looking at the Wisper kit when it's released, I wonder what the battery configuration is.

Got a Rolhoff on the Thorn, so will be looking for a front wheel motor and a simple to fit kit.
not happy with your Cytronex??

(ps. they HAVE gone very quite on this forum!)

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge
Hello again,

Well it's been very quiet on my part with regard to the Alpino, mainly due to the fact that I injured my back just over a week ago and more embarrassingly before that I lost the keys for my heavy duty motorcycle lock! Not that I would have been riding much but, it caused a few problems until the angle grinder came out and I am having a rethink about my security arrangements now having seen how quickly I cut through the lock, I know I had a diamond cutting disc but, the words 'knife and hot butter' came to mind!

What I can tell you is that in the first instance I thought the battery was never going to run out! I still can't believe that I got 127km before having to recharge for the first time!! (Although it was still showing 2 lights on the battery?) When it did finally expire I had about 3km to cycle with no assistance and to be honest I didn't find it too difficult to cycle unaided. Yes, you can feel the extra weight but, that is the price you pay for electrification and a very decent build quality. Anyway, I thought I would go for broke and cranked the assistance up to 100% after the first recharge, mainly due to my back being iffy and the result was 65km which I am more than pleased with ( only 1 light on the battery this time!). I would be interested to hear how far other people get before the need for recharging with the 14A battery? I realize that its early days yet but, the motor is still very noisy ( the lycra-clads can hear me coming at low speeds!) which I find annoying as the demonstrator was so much quieter. The only other point of note with the motor is a slight overrun when you stop pedaling, it caught me out a few times before I got used to it, it's only for half a second or so but, something to be wary of. When using the brakes, motor cuts out instantly as it should.

All in all, I am very impressed so far and for the larger rider I would definitely recommend at least a test ride. Yes, it is a lot of money but, in the end you have to pay for quality and from what I have seen on this forum Wisper's back-up service seems second to none.

Regards,

Mike.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm back on the road with my new wheel and new 16A controller, the power increase is noticable as is the uphill speed. Unfortunately heavy traffic meant no lap record were set this morning.

I would be interested to hear how far other people get before the need for recharging with the 14A battery?
I've not run mine flat as I don't fancy riding the last 10 miles without power but I've managed 35 miles on full power, the voltage drop was obvious towards the end but there were still a few more miles left in it. Now I've fitted the 16A controller that range might reduce some more.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for the great report Mike! If the noise from the motor does not improve soon we will swap it out for you.

Andrew, please let me know how the new controller affects the range.

The 16.5a controller is available to anyone with the Alpino or XC tourer, just drop me a PM or an email.

All the best

David

Last edited:

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the great report Mike! If the noise from the motor does not improve soon we will swap it out for you.

Andrew, please let me know how the new controller affects the range.

The 16.5a controller is available to anyone with the Alpino or XC tourer, just drop me a PM or an email.

All the best

David
what does the 16.5a controller do to the xc and alpino? drop me a PM if its all hush-hush. The 200watt versions here are a little weak for off road riding....

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Said in a spooky, ghostly voice: I seeeeee an Alpino in myyyyy futurrrrre some timmmmme.

Probably next year :D

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Hi Tex

It boosts the max output about 15% and brings it to about 620W.

All the best

David
David

Can you PM me about weather a 906xc 250watts / 16.5a would be available through glow worm here?