Wisper DaaHub arrives - what a bike!

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
why doesn't eddio do what he says he will do ?, is it because the drag on this motor is so bad he is embarrassed to report on it !
Keep up.... ;)

OK! here by popular demand is one for all you wheel spinners out there! So dont fink I dont care because I do! lol

MOV00817 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is a little noise I think from disc brake that probably needs setting up properly so this I think interfering with free spin.....But like I said earlier this bike rides fine without power? a revelation compared to any heavy moped like e bike that I have ever ridden....

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
keep up and stop the bloomin shouting?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Have we created electric bike Marmite?

All the best

David :D
No I dont think so lol.... Any bike that can make you feel instantly 10 years younger on the road has got to be something special. if some want to get bogged down in a discussion regards aesthetics well that is their loss...

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

All the best

Speaking purely for myself, no. I like Marmite.

If I were to liken it to a food, it would be fried calf brains for me. :( But you could easily make it into Marmite :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

All the best

I don't think so, logical though an in-frame battery seems, they've mostly been met with disapproval. The large triangular BionX 10 Ah box is more criticised than praised. The Cybien-Sport one meets with just as much criticism, and the Currie Electrodrive box is downright ugly.

Only the subtle one with the new Bosch system seems to meet with any wide approval, and that mainly seems to be that it mounts close to the down tube or seat tube, is profiled and at 8 Ah is small in size.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks everyone for your considered and constructive comments, I am absolutely delighted that DaaHub has caused a bit of a stir. We have been working in it for 2 years, I would have been so disappointed if it had been received with lack lustre!

I understand it is not perfect for everyone and take on board the more negative comments here. The main cause for concern seems to be the battery positioning and aesthetics yes is is a bit phallus like, although I had never noticed that before!

The battery mount is actually quite brilliant, originally DaaHub was going to be like so many of the other bike kits out there with seat post/rack mounted batteries. These are the easiest and most obvious places to create battery mounts and do not take a great deal of thought. However the aesthetics are pleasing and if that's what people are looking for then it's the perfect solution, however the bike's C of G is significantly raised. There are some that care more about handling and feel than the look of the bike.

Anthony, being a serious all mountain rider set out to create a battery mount that was angled perfectly for seat post mounting to satisfy the masses, but could also be used to mount the battery lower and more central to the bike's horizontal axis. The angles on the Daahub Dock were carefully calculated so the same mount (dock) would offer both choices.

The DaaHub dock is an amazing piece of kit. It houses the controller, clamps to the bike frame in a choice of positions and is absolutely solid. It enables the battery to be removed from and refitted to the bike in literally 10 seconds for charging, safe keeping or to make the bike lighter to load onto a rack etc. Even with this facility the battery and dock remain solid with absolutely no rattles or movement. For security the battery locks onto the dock with the on off key.

A set of silicone shims are locked between the dock and bike frame and act as suspension to the battery and enable the owner to rotate the battery out of the frame for easy removal.

To be continued........

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The bike can also be riden with the battery off without the need to remove the dock and if the owner wants to get back to his routs then simply unplug the front wheel and slip the original back in. The only difference to the bike handling would be the 1kg dock still attached.

If owners are very serious about retaining the "feel" of their chosen base bike they opt for DaaBag, a "Camel Back" style rucksack with water bladder to carry the DaaHub battery in a zipped pouch at the base of the bag. This is for the serious off roader, BMXer and city cyclist alike who want to keep the handling of their chosen bike as close to the original as possible.

All the best

David

Last edited:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
If owners are very serious about retaining the "feel" of their chosen base bike they can chose DaaBag, a "Camel Back" style rucksack with water bladder to carry the DaaHub battery in a zipped pouch at the base of the bag. This is for the serious off roader, BMXer and city cyclist alike who want to keep the handling of their chosen bike as close to the original as possible.

All the best

David
I'm surprised anyone would want to wear the battery on their back, especially off road. It looks like it could snap your spine in an accident.

Where it is on the frame is OK. Not everyone will like it but not everyone likes everything.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I forgot to say but the 370Wh battery does take up a bit of room and necessitates the brick like looks but it does pack a huge punch and I personally felt it worth compromising aesthetics for added performance. This kit is very quick!

Best regards

David :)

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Jimod, I am with you, however Anthony and his nutty friends Love off-roading and the ability to chuck their bikes about without the encumbrance of a battery on the frame. TBH when I tried it out for the first time I was seriously surprised at the difference having your battery on your back made. I know it sounds insane but the bike felt lighter and more nimble and I didn't notice the extra weight on my back.

Of course for serious off roading your legs become the battery suspension too!

All the best

David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Put it this way. We have all waited and waited and waited for this kit to arrive. Personally, it disappoints in that the battery postion looks wrong however its appearance is comical in my opinion. Worse still is the lack of information from the supplier re' my spin test. It's disappointing however I'll move on....but without a DaaHub fitted.

Regards
vectra
That's a shame Vectra, do you prefer the seat post position? As soon as I have had a definitive answer from Dapu I will let you know, unfortunately Dick Lai my manager who deals with Dapu is away due to death in his family, but as soon as he get's back next week I will make sure you get your answer.

All the best

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm surprised anyone would want to wear the battery on their back, especially off road. It looks like it could snap your spine in an accident.
Backpack batteries for off-road e-bike use are commonplace, and the rougher the territory, the more they are used.

Also the Team Hybrid e-bike stunt team used backpack batteries on their crystalyte motored BMX bikes, leaping and jumping all over the place with them.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Last point re battery positioning. To balance an electric bike it is important to get the weight of the battery as far under the rider as possible. The higher and further back a battery is fitted the worse the bike handles, hence the positioning of batteries on the vast majority of serious purpose built electric bikes is behind the seat post tube, not on the rack. Seat post fitting is good as it puts the down force from the battery into the seat post tube exactly where the weight of the rider is but the height of the battery makes the bike feel less nimble. For optimal handling and control it is best to mount the battery onto the seat post tube as low as possible hence the position of the DaaHub battery on Eddies bike and the reason he loves the feel of the bike.

All the best

David

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Oops, sorry about that, i missed it.
Well what do you think? Did video help at all. I have always riden on power as most e bikes are so awful without it...But know I have a bike that is possible to ride without assistance....

You need to try some bikes, your getting frustrated over nothing..... I am 30 mins from Gatwick. and you can try the DaaHub and a KTM Bosch bikes (here soon) Then 25 mins on a bus and you are at Battersea and "E bikes direct" and 50 cycles are about an hour away from there....just a thought:D

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
David,

You talk about serious off-road use, how will the hub motor stand up to proper downhill abuse on mountain trails, single track downhills, jumps, berms, roots, rocks, holes, drops and the like?

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Nice bike Eddie. Someone at work had just got a similar Specialized bike (though not quite in the same league as yours) and I do like its clean, sleek look. With that Deore groupset, quality hydraulic brakes and DT Swiss wheels, I bet you feel like you're riding the BMW of hybrids! And all weighing in at only 12.5 kilos. I'm envious.

I can't say I'd even give the battery position a second look. It's small enough to not draw attention to itself in my opinion. It probably takes up as much room as my rear suspension does inside my frame. I like they way it matches your red and black colour scheme too.

That spin down test looks like your front brake is catching the wheel though and if you can hear some noise then that just confirms it. You should be getting about twice the spin down time that you are seeing, not that it will make any difference to you if you are getting over 20mph on the flat! It must be quite some motor to achieve that speed.

It looks like the market is improving all the time. Long may it continue I say!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks Caph! it is truly a smashing piece of kit.....

will get the brake sorted and shoot vid again... it is a metal on metal sound, you dont notice it when riding