Wisper DaaHub arrives - what a bike!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hmm, now there's a tantalising tit bit !!
And how Oiseaux! I have 2 on the way to the UK for testing, you simply drop out the 15.5mph wheel from an Alpino or DaaHub and fit the 30mph one, I think we can use the same controller, but it would need to be switched from 15.5 to 30. We can only get a 1 year warranty at the moment but are working on it. The motor will be in anodised red with NOT FOR ROAD USE engraved on the side. The idea is you take your DaaHub to the off road site on your legal wheel and swap it over when you get there for some fun! Obviously range is greatly reduced.

We feel there is a new sport in here somewhere? :cool:

All the best

David

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
LOL! Quite right David I should try it before opening my big mouth ;) DaaHub Dick has a certain ring to it :D but I wont be in a position to try this out until the end of the year...well if I *must* buy the battery as well I suppose I should :)

Re bike balance I understand and respect all the points raised and agree in frame mounting is best for balance, the Haibike and Storck Raddar are two production bike examples I can think of that exemplify how it should be done, IMHO the in frame mounting of the Daahub gets it wrong, sorry but thats how I feel.

I still like rack mounting for the reasons I gave earlier, I don't think I'm that sensitive to handling and have no issues with it on my Alien or Peugeot...me thinks there is a little bit too much 'purism' getting in the way of practical implementation... I have a sneaky feeling that if I felt the same way I'd question mounting the motor in the front wheel and perhaps never look at a hub drive again and stick to crank drive ;)

Anyhow, time to move on...

Hi NRG, I feel you should maybe try out the DaaHub Dock, mounting system before you condemn it? It is absolutely superb, the battery and mount work so well together it is absolutely amazing, not a rattle to be heard even over rough terrain and so easy to remove and re-install the battery. It was originally designed for seat post rear mounting but with a little bit of engineering initiative we give our customers a choice! A rack mount is more sensible maybe for the manufacturer but the DaaHub Dock is more secure and simply genius, far better for the customer. Although it is a bit rude in the forward position if you have that sort of mind! Here's some ammo for you, instead of the DaaHub Dock you could call it the DaaHub Dick!!

Re bike balance and handeling, as Mussels (who is probably the most experienced electric bike rider I know) has already pointed out the ride and feel of an electric bike is massively important to every rider, especially the long distance commuter. And DaaHub has been designed with these people, our customers, in mind.

Re your cheeky question, of course you can! But they are the same price!

All the best

David

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
One of the biggest contributors to the way my bike handles is the front hub itself - it is so much slower when turning L and R. The DaaHub is lighter so better in that respect.

Now for the off-road hub - count me in, I want one. Will it work OK in a 20" wheel ref speed?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
...me thinks there is a little bit too much 'purism' getting in the way of practical implementation... I have a sneaky feeling that if I felt the same way I'd question mounting the motor in the front wheel and perhaps never look at a hub drive again and stick to crank drive ;)
A good crank drive kit would be great but I'm not sure that exists yet, to me the hub kit's simplicity and reliability makes it my favorite. For me crank drives have a major conflict between keeping it fairly legal and not compromising the gears for people who want to pedal faster.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Exactly!

But it has a bigger battery and does 22mph + Yippee!lol

I will hazard a guesstimate on range to be about 25-30 miles? (16 stone - unfit - falling to bits) Which will match the range of our forthcoming Bosch KTM nicely by what eTim has said. I will stress that I ride at full power and push on.....so I would think once we get away to Croatia in the summer , more leisurely riding and better power management I should get 35 maybe 40?
Does the Phallus bike do 22mph assisted?

If it does 22mph assisted then it will be faster than the Bosch KTM, I wish I had a bigger, more powerful, faster Phallus ! :cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The idea is you take your DaaHub to the off road site on your legal wheel and swap it over when you get there for some fun! Obviously range is greatly reduced.

We feel there is a new sport in here somewhere? :cool:
You could have a simple tag-along fork like a simplified tag along kids bike to tow the performance wheel to the off-road site. (If it's got no drag of course. :D)

thingaby

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2008
Does the Phallus bike do 22mph assisted?

If it does 22mph assisted then it will be faster than the Bosch KTM, I wish I had a bigger, more powerful, faster Phallus ! :cool:
I think the point is that eddieo's new bike looks like it has a big phallus mounted on it......

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Whats new? I thought all our 'big boys toys' were extensions of our batteries :):):)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For me crank drives have a major conflict between keeping it fairly legal and not compromising the gears for people who want to pedal faster.
There is an answer to that, which with more crank drives might be twigged by a manufacturer. It merely needs the gearchanger having a cut-out like a brake cut-out, but operating on the top or top two gears.

That would give power assist to the legal limit but with a gear or two of pedalling speed above that for extra pure cycling speed.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Cheeky Monkeys:p

ride no 6 (the sun came out)

I guess I will have to learn to manage my battery use more efficiently, probably like a lot of you are used to already......A different mind set

Bike progresses nicely on power setting 3 (max 5) in fact I think maybe power 2 will be enough for when we are touring around on holiday or if I am out purely exercising. but on full power the bike is Sooo much fun!

This is ebiking as I always envisaged it...But if it was not for the motorhoming and carrying/travelling aspect, I think I might have stayed with bigger battery bikes like the 906. The 906 is like a limousine, a comfortable beauty with a big fuel tank (Big Bazookas probably to NRG:D)

I will get better at battery management, it is I guess what a lot of you have to do with smaller batteries anyway.....I will just learn to manage my riding more efficiently/economically. That is the beauty of larger wisper bikes you don't have to THINK, oodles of power on tap.....In 2.5 years use I never ran out once

If I run out of power with this bike it is no big deal as I can still ride it home. It is so surprising how different an experience this bike is.....

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
There is an answer to that, which with more crank drives might be twigged by a manufacturer. It merely needs the gearchanger having a cut-out like a brake cut-out, but operating on the top or top two gears.

That would give power assist to the legal limit but with a gear or two of pedalling speed above that for extra pure cycling speed.
Interesting Flecc......and could that be done retrospectively by someone who knows what they are doing....like you for example ?

Lynda

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Easiest with a hub gear bike with twistgrip gear change Lynda. The hub gear sprocket is most easily changed to a much smaller one to increase the gearing for speed, and a cutout microswitch could be arranged to operate in the gear indicator window showing the gear in use.

Best done commercially of course, and there would have to be equivalent trigger gearshift cut-out controls since they are more popular than the twistgrip type.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks Flecc......in my ongoing search for the perfect bike I now know that I must have hub gears......so far I have decided that I wont compromise on hub gears, range or bike weight......and I do love the panasonic system, but the Tonaro Esprit is tempting if the weight of the new models is lower, cos then I can have my throttle as well !!
Lynda

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
But Lynda have you tried XT gears? they are sooooooo nice.....

My new KTM bike had 8 speed hub gears, crank drive and is approx 20kg (bought with wife in mind)

Dont know what poor old NRG will make of it though, with its red nosed seat........ enough to bring on a seizure me finks! poor man seeing nobs everywhere!:confused:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
For gods sake eddieo....please dont tell me your next bike has a red nob on the end of it ????
And you try to say I am obsessed :) :)

( NOT as obsessed as eddieo) Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Seems a bit masochistic to me, wanting to be throttled. :)
Oh haha.......HAVE ...not WANT TO BE......
Honestly you men now seem to have me down as a' gangly bits' obsessed masochist......and all I do is quietly ride my little bike around (naked of course :) ) ROFLMAO !

Lynda