Woosh XF08 CST rear hub kit on 2001 Raleigh Stonefly

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Exactly, as I said it is (almost) impossible to retrofit, but many tandems come with BBS motors fitted. I can see the advantages for hill climbing on BBS systems, but not sure if that would translate into an advantage on range on a given battery. The Gepida Thoris claims a range 30-90 miles on a 500Wh battery, which seems very optimistic.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they use the Bosch motor which requires riders to input at least 25% of the total energy required. 500WH / 90 miles = 5.5WH, possible on flat roads, limited to 15mph with user input of 50% (eco mode). There is no difference in economy compared to a geared hub drive in similar circumstance (assist level 1, no throttle).
As for hill climbing, a geared hub high torque like the Bafang BPM equals a crank drive on moderate inclines (less than 10%) and beats a crank drive at high speed (15mph-20mph).
On tandems, a better choice is the 48V SWX02 kit.

Last edited:

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
I went for the smaller of the 2 options at 13Ah. Certainly looks like it's capable of giving me a good range.

Had a play around with the assist levels after cycling back from work. Put the bike in it's lowest gear, so I could spin the pedals for the pedal sensor, without providing any assistance to the motor, just to see how fast it would take me.
  • Level 1 = 6.7mph
  • Level 2 = 10.1mph
  • Level 3 = 12.5mph
  • Level 4 = 13.8mph
  • Level 5 = 16.3mph
In general with using level 4 or 5 for commuting, I'm able to keep it on the 42 tooth gear at the front, and on 1 of the 3 smaller gears at the back.

Also weighed the bike. It started at 18kg before, and now weights in at 23.7kg, so the kit adds just under 6kg. But with the motor, it doesn't really matter :D.
I did a test with the same motor but only checked Level 5 where I got a (remarkably) consistent maximum of 17.2mph on flat roads with no wind. This is on a Cannondale Quick CX3 which has an ex motor weight of 12.28kg

Ashley750

Pedelecer
May 12, 2018
Kenilworth
So, all had been running well for the last 3 months until I came to cycle to work last Thursday, and the display would not switch on. My initial thoughts were an issue with the display unit, the cable or the cradle / controller.

Contacted Andy at Woosh, who put a display and cable in the post on Tuesday, arriving Wednesday. Swopping the display made no difference, but changing the cable did, so I am now up and running again.

It will be interesting to see what the issue with the cable was, when it arrives back at Woosh.

Hit the 500 mile mark, cycling into work this morning :).

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
The Reassembling Has Started

Spent some time putting the bike together this evening, having spent yesterday evening removing the decidedly tatty stickers.

Wheels are on, as is the battery and the new handlebar.

A couple of problems identified tonight. I bought new brake and gear cables, and the outers were cut to same length as the old ones at my LBS, however with the new Trekking bar they are too short! Also, as the gear shifters are integrated into the brake levers, with the up change lever underneath, I cannot find a way to mount the throttle without it being in the way of the shifter or too far away to use.

Any thoughts on how I could fit it, or do I just leave it off and use the pedal sensor?
I reversed my throttle as I had the same problem. May work fot yoy too. see pic.03 Control panel and upsidedown throttle.JPG