Brexit, for once some facts.

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
Well Boris would approve anyway, he thought Blackmail using a show of force would be a good plan too.
"The Mouse that Roared" method to start off with and when that fails
"The Old Navaho Indian Trick of Screaming and Begging"
To get back in again.
Great Strategy.
And of course in the interrim run our own show, and when the Bungee elastic runs down turn to the IMF for loans as we did the last time.
There: all possibilities covered.
Speaking from the viewpoint of an impartial observer of course.
Good tactic OG, start with opinions but always call them facts, then try outlandish imaginations, but as a rule the one that usually wows em is just shoot off at the mouth making sure to avoid anything that bears any resemblance to fact or reality, in the hope that they will either be confused or just give up on the argument. I admire your style not.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Good tactic OG, start with opinions but always call them facts, then try outlandish imaginations, but as a rule the one that usually wows em is just shoot off at the mouth making sure to avoid anything that bears any resemblance to fact or reality, in the hope that they will either be confused or just give up on the argument. I admire your style not.
You are rambling again, all I did was follow your logic, no facts were involved as you never use them, do you?
You were the one making the profound statements, and applying outlandish imagination as to the likely result, I simply read them and responded, and as usual you didn't like it, did you?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Yes, you have my formal permission to stop using my thread now.

And what long responses you've all made, an average of only 10 posts per page!
Watched May on news moment ago,I have a sinking feeling this thread has much anxious, apprehensive life left in it yet

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
Watched May on news moment ago,I have a sinking feeling this thread has much anxious, apprehensive life left in it yet
Yep, it's not over till the fat lady sings, and me thinks your hopes that May would draw Brexit to a close looks a might premature and optimistic me thinks
Repeat after me "We are all leavers now"

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
You are rambling again, all I did was follow your logic, no facts were involved as you never use them, do you?
You were the one making the profound statements, and applying outlandish imagination as to the likely result, I simply read them and responded, and as usual you didn't like it, did you?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Profound statements, I was replying to a direct question to which I gave an honest and direct answer, but you would not get that would you, so keen as you are to trash anything that moves, you are one sad OG

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Profound statements, I was replying to a direct question to which I gave an honest and direct answer, but you would not get that would you, so keen as you are to trash anything that moves, you are one sad OG
And I was giving an honest assessment of that answer.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Looks like act 3: Brexit : Article 50 and the EU strikes back now begins.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Welcome to the slippery slope while Brext hogs the news this has been quietly slipped in, as if it had happened before the last election Milliband would have been in power.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/richard-grimes/government-moves-to-consider-nhs-user-charges

And here is a list of MP's with an interest in that (Happily May isn't on it!)
One point in her Favour!
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/selling-nhs-profit-full-list-4646154

"Not in the Manifesto?
Who cares about the Manifesto?
We're the Government aren't we?"
Style of thing.

You lucky people! getting the Government you voted for (shame about the rest of us)

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: BrendanJ and derf

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
May is quite clear about leaving in her welcoming email to Tory supporters.

"Brexit means Brexit," she says.

Full text:

I am honoured and humbled to have been chosen by the Conservative Party to become its leader.

I would like to pay tribute to the other candidates during the election campaign, and I would like to pay tribute to Andrea Leadsom for the dignity that she has shown today.

During this campaign, my case has been based on three things.

First, the need for strong, proven leadership to steer us through what will be difficult and uncertain economic and political times.

The need of course to negotiate the best deal for Britain in leaving the EU and to forge a new role for ourselves in the world.

Brexit means Brexit and we’re going to make a success of it.

Second, we need to unite our country.

And third, we need a strong, new, and positive vision for the future of our country. A vision of a country that works not for the privileged few but works for every one of us.

Because we’re going to give people more control over their lives. That’s how together we will build a better Britain.

Reactions: BrendanJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
May is quite clear about leaving in her welcoming email to Tory supporters.

"Brexit means Brexit," she says.
Meaningless statement, of course she will say that, so would whoever took over as PM. The Conservatives have a divided party, mostly pro-Eu but a substantial and influential faction anti EU.

Her difficult job is to unite them enough to stop the fierce squabbling that has plagued them for so long, so as a pro Remainer she has to reassure the antis that she will enact Brexit,

But we'll have to await the outcome, since Brexit can take many forms. My guess is that we'll get a "nearly in" form, dressed up as gaining the UK huge advantage.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Honest! More like bitter and twisted. You are like a foul bad taste running through this thread. I went back to page one out of interest and your negativity and sarcasm was evident right from the first with no encouragement needed or the excuse of defence required
crumbs, the appointment of "Thereza-Soft-Brexit-May" has really not done much for you brexiteers joie de vivre

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Meaningless statement, of course she will say that, so would whoever took over as PM. The Conservatives have a divided party, mostly pro-Eu but a substantial and influential faction anti EU.

Her difficult job is to unite them enough to stop the fierce squabbling that has plagued them for so, long, so as a pro Remainer she has to reassure the antis that she will enact Brexit,

But we'll have to await the outcome, since Brexit can take many forms. My guess is that we'll get a "nearly in" form, dressed up as gaining the UK huge advantage.
At some point, the leave deniers will have to accept that not every statement can be properly dismissed as meaningless.

What you mean is it's a statement you don't like, or at least disagree with.

Had May said 'we need a rethink', the leave deniers would seize on it as proof we will remain.

Some on here need to remember a statement can have meaning, whether they agree with it or not.

I'd also suggest that even you will have to admit that any statement from any politician currently can be taken with a very large pinch of salt, and currently seems to actually mean the exact opposite will happen.

We all know Brexit means Brexit, what else could it mean, that's a clear fact. It doesn't mean she'll enact Article 50 on Thursday morning, if she'd have wanted to do that, she'd have said that, wouldn't she?

It appears that currently you have to look at what they aren't saying, rather than what they are.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What you mean is it's a statement you don't like, or at least disagree with.
No Rob, I don't mean that, I know exactly what I mean and I am not a leave denier. I believe we will hand in article 50 notice and formally leave the EU.

But I also think that departure will take the form I indicated. My reason for that is the way the departure is being delayed by Theresa May, insisting that she wants to discuss options with the EU first and that the article 50 notice might not be served until next Spring. That's someone playing safe to avoid losing too much of what we have.

As for the entirety of Theresa May's statement that I listened to, I heard much the same from Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair on their respective appointments. It's an old formula, telling us how they'll unite us in a way we'll all be included and looked after.

I've been around too long to be fooled by that rhetoric any longer.

Mar 9, 2016
Honest! More like bitter and twisted. You are like a foul bad taste running through this thread. I went back to page one out of interest and your negativity and sarcasm was evident right from the first with no encouragement needed or the excuse of defence required
Sorry OG but I totally agree with sentiments in this post. Yes we,ve all argued, disagreed but the insults ,, sarcasm and put d.owns in every case start with one of your posts.

New PM has no choice but to take us out. Art 50 will be initiated without a doubt.
Its been mentioned other EU countries have ignored teferenums. They have but they have all been on eu statutes. Our government ignoring one would be a precedent. No way on earth a conservative govt would ignore 17 million voters. Their primary directive is staying in power, everything after that is secondary. Yes there is no viable. Opposition at moment,but just stop and think what Labour would be saying if May remained. Its not going to happen.
Ps. Pound recovered a bit, ftse at 11 month high. The hysterical panic is calming..

• Agree
Reactions: RobF and flecc

Advertisers