Brexit, for once some facts.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Why do keep ignoring the answers already given? Quote:

"That the buses weren't a viable option after sinking to only 4500 of them didn't deter Ken when he introduced the congestion charge. He just borrowed the money to buy 200 more buses which were waiting to carry the ex car drivers on day one of the charge. Then the charge income paid off the debt. And he'd also planned for more cycling with a set of 19 free cycling maps showing all the marked cycle routes in Greater London."

In other words you do as all governments do, borrow to invest in what's necessary, which then pays back on the investment.

Forget the myth that London has lots of money. The whole of our annual earnings, some £50 billions currently, gets taken from us by central government and spent in the regions, apparently unwisely since they never seem to improve in such as transport. That's why we still have in London some of the most poverty stricken living areas in the country and the worst housing situation by far.

Just once in a while we keep a share in a little of what we earn, for example allowed to keep the Crossrail money to build it, under 3% of our earnings in each of the likely 13 years to completion. And of course we needed Crossrail to continue to earn that £50 billions per annum for the rest of the country.
We seem to agree, the alternative has to be in place before any measures are taken to force car drivers onto public transport.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
sovereignty.*
Which can't be seen, can't be held, can't be smelled, can't even be adequately described. A bit like a ghost.

* UK will become again a coastal nation regarding the fish.
They are part of a continuing borderless Europe, indeed, borderless world as far as they are concerned.

That's very Brexit when the fish are smarter than 17 million of our electorate.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Miserable effort Tommie, why no blokes in Bowler hats and funny aprons, and one of those appalling noisy marching band mobs?
And clearly like you they haven't realised you aren't leaving!
The office will be in Dublin instead, makes a lot more sense :D
The EU Office is in Molesworth St ,Tommie. Just get off the Enterprise, walk past Trinity and up Dawson St. .. . Its beside the Dail.

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We seem to agree, the alternative has to be in place before any measures are taken to force car drivers onto public transport.
Agreed, I've made that clear and shown how doing that is easy. And most European countries have already done that very long ago. Some over half a century ago for example.

The North can get on with that right now, there's never been a better time. The PM has said he wants the North to get much more investment in infrastructure and transport. Northern Rail has been renationalised which will help to steer it the right way. The transport secretary is making all the right noises, and the government has only recently increased local authorities powers to take control of transport as we've long done in London.

The moment is right and the Northern and indeed Midlands local authorities should take advantage of it immediately. But on their past performances I somehow doubt they will, probably preferring to go on grumbling about imagined London advantages.

And of course a lot depends on Brexit. The possible loss of services access to the EU could mean that £50 billions each year dwindling and disappearing. We in London won't feel that, we've never benefitted from it, but elsewhere there'll certainly be some squealing if it happens.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
The EU Office is in Molesworth St ,Tommie. Just get off the Enterprise, walk past Trinity and up Dawson St. .. . Its beside the Dail.
I would get down there asap and take a photo of it, may not be there much longer if your poor farming community have their way.

Btw rumour has it the vacated offices you see there today have been let out to the DUP as their new city centre Advice Centre..

Nice :cool:

Reactions: gray198

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Which can't be seen, can't be held, can't be smelled, can't even be adequately described. A bit like a ghost.

They are part of a continuing borderless Europe, indeed, borderless world as far as they are concerned.

And most of the ones caught are sent to the EU...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I agree with all of that, but it doesn’t alter the fact that like in my area, public transport is a complete non-starter for many other areas outside London too. It’s not an option regardless of how expensive they make driving a car.
Might still be pipedreams and wishful thinking, but the thoughts are going in the right directions. Even my bus pass is now Welsh rather than local council! :)

Transport for Wales exists to drive forward the Welsh Government’s vision of a high quality, safe, integrated, affordable and accessible transport network that the people of Wales are proud of. Transport for Wales is key to delivering the Welsh Government’s key themes as set out in Prosperity for All: The National Strategy.

For Wales and its people to thrive, we need to be connected – to one another, to the services we need and to open up new opportunities. Our work focuses on making these connections happen – by planning, commissioning and managing efficient transport networks and by drawing on the very best skills from across industry, government and society.

We are creating a transport network fit for the future that contributes to the long-term sustainability of Wales and those communities connected to us.

https://tfw.wales/

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
C`mon Guys n Gals lets get into the party mood - turn the volume right up
Celebrate Good Times... Come on!!!

Losers can join in to!
*snigger*
What are you celebrating Tommie? you aren't leaving the EU are you?

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
C`mon Guys n Gals lets get into the party mood - turn the volume right up
Celebrate Good Times... Come on!!!

Losers can join in to!
*snigger*
Will you be sniggering tomorrow when you wake up to the square root of heehaw having changed?
It's alright Tommie, here's a tune you should learn seeing as you're not leaving the EU but we are. Might not sound quite right though played on the flute and big drum.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

You're damning the fish with faint praise flecc :cool:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It made me chuckle, You probably haven’t worked much in N.I., “away dry your eyes” was a common response when I had to ask for contract variations :)
You're right, I have never been there, thanks for the explanation.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
there there wee jimmy, say Farewell, now go wipe yer eyes :D

So, is that you Tommie, you've just wakened up to the fact that you're not really leaving?
Even your DUP pals are saying Boris shouldn't abandon NI, but we all know your purpose is served, and you are about to be cast aside as part of the EU while Brexit Britain forges ahead.

Who's "wee Jimmy" by the way?

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
You're right, I have never been there, thanks for the explanation.
It’s always used to make me laugh though, I would spend half an hour presenting a case which I thought was completely waterproof. Without a seconds hesitation the reply would come back straight away :)

Advertisers