1000 miles done on Crossfuse E

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
So I hit my 1000th mile today on my Crossfuse and thought I'd give everyone an update on how the bike has held up. In short pretty much perfect. All the cycle parts are the same and I've not needed to replace anything yet.

I'm still getting around 70 miles per charge in tour mode and around 35 in turbo mode so the battery is still holding up well. I am charging the battery when it hits the 2nd to last bar as that was the advice given to me when I got the bike.

My rear tyre looks like it will need replacing in the next 500 miles and the chain has barely stretched at all. Gears all work perfect after I adjusted them self. The brake pads still have loads of life in them and won't need replacing any time soon. The only things that will need replacing is the wheel rims as I have over loaded my bike too many times and I'm a large rider weighing in at 102kg. I've been known to load the bike up with a good 40kg wroth of shopping on the rack and on my back which was a mistake.

The bike has had 0 cut out but did random give me an error code after a long ride on a very hot day so I guessed this was a over heating code as I reset the system and it went away. It hasn't come back since.

So all in all the bike has been perfect. I run slime in my tubes so I've not been stuck by the side of the road :)

I'm a driver and a motorcyclist, but my Crossfuse has replaced both my motorcycle and car for 90% of my trips now! Buying an E-bike is one of the best things I've ever done! I've not lost any weight but I'm much fitter now and I'm still looking for reasons to use it.

I love the fact that I can cycle to meetings and still be in a fit state to be in the meeting. I've got two really good D locks and an alarm under the seat so I feel a little better leaving a the bike racks!

Other cyclists can be dicks to me though, mainly hardcore cyclists look down on you and call you cheater. It used to make me really made but I tell them to **** off now as this has happened maybe 5/6 times to me now.

All in all the Crossfuse is great bike and has been perfect for me! I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10. The only reason I don't give it a 10 out of 10 is because they ship the bike with the slow charger. I wish they shipped it with the fast charger as it can feel like an age when waiting for it to charge if you're in a rush.

Reactions: artspeck and corsur

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi, Glad it has been good for you, I bought one 2 weeks ago but have not had chance to use it yet due to weather/bad cold but should be out on it this week, looking forward to how it compares against my Wisper 905.......

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
This is my second E-bike. I got the Crossfire first but the bike broke down all the time. Cut out without warning so I took it back and replaced it with the crossfuse which has been amazing! The Crossfire on the other hand is a pile of crap and Halfords shouldn't be selling them as the issues are unbelievably common!

Let us know how they compare please :D

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So I hit my 1000th mile today on my Crossfuse and thought I'd give everyone an update on how the bike has held up. In short pretty much perfect. All the cycle parts are the same and I've not needed to replace anything yet.

I'm still getting around 70 miles per charge in tour mode and around 35 in turbo mode so the battery is still holding up well. I am charging the battery when it hits the 2nd to last bar as that was the advice given to me when I got the bike.

My rear tyre looks like it will need replacing in the next 500 miles and the chain has barely stretched at all. Gears all work perfect after I adjusted them self. The brake pads still have loads of life in them and won't need replacing any time soon. The only things that will need replacing is the wheel rims as I have over loaded my bike too many times and I'm a large rider weighing in at 102kg. I've been known to load the bike up with a good 40kg wroth of shopping on the rack and on my back which was a mistake.

The bike has had 0 cut out but did random give me an error code after a long ride on a very hot day so I guessed this was a over heating code as I reset the system and it went away. It hasn't come back since.

So all in all the bike has been perfect. I run slime in my tubes so I've not been stuck by the side of the road :)

I'm a driver and a motorcyclist, but my Crossfuse has replaced both my motorcycle and car for 90% of my trips now! Buying an E-bike is one of the best things I've ever done! I've not lost any weight but I'm much fitter now and I'm still looking for reasons to use it.

I love the fact that I can cycle to meetings and still be in a fit state to be in the meeting. I've got two really good D locks and an alarm under the seat so I feel a little better leaving a the bike racks!

Other cyclists can be dicks to me though, mainly hardcore cyclists look down on you and call you cheater. It used to make me really made but I tell them to **** off now as this has happened maybe 5/6 times to me now.

All in all the Crossfuse is great bike and has been perfect for me! I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10. The only reason I don't give it a 10 out of 10 is because they ship the bike with the slow charger. I wish they shipped it with the fast charger as it can feel like an age when waiting for it to charge if you're in a rush.
My previous Weimaraner had problems with her front paws for a time, wanted to run with my bike, but it hurt and so I bought a bike trailer for dogs, which I now use for extra heavy shopping (seldom!).
Maybe that is a good idea for you?
I bought mine secondhand for around 50 UK Pounds.....something like this:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Dog-Bike-Trailer-Pushchair-Carrier-Stroller-Jogging-Kit-Pet-Bicycle-Ride/401698150084?hash=item5d871356c4:g:Fv0AAOSw5xhcUv8M:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true
regards
Andy

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I also had a Crossfire which was great apart from those damn cutouts happening so it was returned back to Halfords for refund, then I bought the Wisper which has been superb and have now decided on the Crossfuse as it was a good price and I fancied a crank motor for a change.

Reactions: kingsknight

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For battery cell life the slow charger is more beneficial for the cells and will provide longer life.

Reactions: kingsknight

gbb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2019
I assume you have the Suntour motor system on your crossfuse Kingsknight ?

I must have well over 500 miles on my Crossfire, Suntour motor...and while its cut out on some occasions, not very often. Everything else has been brilliant..TBH, even at 1000 miles, if a bike hasn't been abused, everything should be ok, quite capable of many more miles.

It does occur to me the poor rep the suntour system has, what sort of life can you expect from it. I've had no regrets buying it...but I didn't know about its apparent weaknesses when I did buy it.

gbb

Jan 27, 2019
Looking at your final paragraph regarding the charger....you can maybe take some solace in that a fast charger may well shorten the life of a battery compared to a slow one.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Today was my first outing on the Carrera Crossfuse I did just over 17 miles around the Peak District with an elevation gain of 2093 ft and descent of 2051 ft, the steepest gradient was 18.2%. The bike coped well with it all and felt more nimble than my Wisper 905se and rolled really well with no drag from the motor, whether it is any more capable at climbing than the Wisper is hard to tell at the moment as I have not been out on a bike in the last six weeks so legs and stamina are a bit lacking but I suspect it will be better ( although i couldn't criticize the Wisper in any way).....

Wendy S

May 8, 2017
Cardiff

When people call me a cheat, I just say "oops sorry, I didn't realise I had joined a race".

Reactions: Artstu

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I see other bikes so rarely on my 10 mile b road commute and on those rare occasions that I do just wave or say hello. If I come across them going the same direction as me I usually catch them up and pass them quickly.

I have in eight years of commuting only had one roadie overtake me and keep ahead, and another who caught me back up after I overtook him and managed to crawl back past me over about half a mile before immediately turning off the road we were both on, probably to throw up as he had busted a gut to achieve the overtake.

However I would not be bothered if I was overtaken more often as I am commuting rather than competing.

I see more bikes going the opposite direction.

I average 20mph for my 10 mile road journey and that combined with the sparsity of bikes in general probably explains why I come across so few going in the same direction as me. I am probably travelling too fast to be caught up often and not fast enough to catch other people.

I am also a shift worker so probably on the road when other people are in bed or still at work.

My Yamaha crank drive Haibike is a bit faster than my old Oxygen Emate and the Haibike is ridden predominantly in eco and the Oxygen in max assist so the Haibike could potentially be quite a bit faster if I wanted to cane it everywhere.

The real advantage of an ebike as we all know is climbing rather than speed on the flat and its ability to carry stuff up those hills without slowing right down in the way I would on a non assisted bike.

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019

Hi, Thanks for the review, I have a Crossfuse too and O love it - I am only getting about 50 miles on mine on a full charge on tour mode though. I am about 13st in weight and I cycle up over 2500 feet of hills on a charge though. I did ask if my battery was faulty as it didn't get the 80 miles as suggested however they came back to me and said as my route is so hilly, 50 miles is good.

How hilly is your journey to get 70 miles out of a charge?

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Hi, Thanks for the review, I have a Crossfuse too and O love it - I am only getting about 50 miles on mine on a full charge on tour mode though. I am about 13st in weight and I cycle up over 2500 feet of hills on a charge though. I did ask if my battery was faulty as it didn't get the 80 miles as suggested however they came back to me and said as my route is so hilly, 50 miles is good.

How hilly is your journey to get 70 miles out of a charge?
That seems about right to me. Tour mode gives plenty of assistance and if there's 2500 feet of climb in there 50 miles is a great range (That's twice round Keilder reservoir :) I got a range of 70 miles showing round Keilder and that has 3000ft of climb but I was deliberately trying off and Eco mode
Mike

Reactions: lolipop808

trevbaker47

Feb 17, 2019
Great to hear someone else's review. I got mine about six months ago and covered 700 miles since then. In my seventys and diagnosed slight heart problems, I was starting to struggle on my road bike ( shortage of breath) so not wanting to give up riding I bought the Crossfuse, probably the best thing I've ever bought. With a few mods, mudguards, different grips, my brooks saddle, a little rack bag for a good lock absolutely fantastic. I get up to eighty miles on a full charge in eco mode depending on terrain and I'm about 14 stone.
Would recommend to anyone. (Ignore all the cheating comments just go past them on the hills)

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Great to hear someone else's review. I got mine about six months ago and covered 700 miles since then. In my seventys and diagnosed slight heart problems, I was starting to struggle on my road bike ( shortage of breath) so not wanting to give up riding I bought the Crossfuse, probably the best thing I've ever bought. With a few mods, mudguards, different grips, my brooks saddle, a little rack bag for a good lock absolutely fantastic. I get up to eighty miles on a full charge in eco mode depending on terrain and I'm about 14 stone.
Would recommend to anyone. (Ignore all the cheating comments just go past them on the hills)

This is such a lovely reply! I'm so glad the bike has allowed you to stay on two wheels! Stray strong brother and keep on cycling!

Reactions: trevbaker47

trevbaker47

Feb 17, 2019
In Halfords yesterday noticed it had gone up by£200 to£1800, so a bargain with my 10% off the £1600 . Makes me feel even better.

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
I have now completed over 1000 miles commuting to work on my Crossfuse. So maybe about £300 worth of diesel saved - maybe a bit less.

I was and still feel I am a complete novice when it comes to cycling so here is my review and learning curve as a newbie cyclist.

The cycle into work, about 17 miles was easy, I usually use the 'Tour' setting which is the second of four settings, however for my own fitness and strength I should really be using the 'Eco' mode. If I am cycling up a narrow more dangerous hill which I just want to get out of the way of traffic I use the higher settings. The bosch motor is perfect. It does not make a sound, I get about 50 miles from Tour mode so I do need to charge each day. I now have my charger at work and just unlock the batter and charge it on my desk throughout the day. It takes about 5-6 hours to charge. There have been no cut outs at all from my battery.

The accessories I have bought which have been essential are:

I think I need some panniers next though. You cannot go wrong with the gear they sell at Lidl though.

As a new cyclist the main issues I have had was car drivers just not paying attention - I had a quick learning curve and have been knocked off once, but was luck - I do drive through the City of Bradford though and the driving is not the greatest.

The next issue would probably be a simple one to most. I was going through inner tubes fast - one a day at one point and the reason was I am not getting enough pressure in the tubes on inflation. I have now bought a better pump and things are much better.

I am currently going through an issue with the chain. It keeps slipping. I no longer use gears 7, 6 and 5 and that does the trick but not solved the problem so if anyone has any ideas that would be good.

At first I was a little embarrassed to overtake other cyclists but now I just do it. I have not had any negative comments from them as I go past them.

The bike though has changed my life. My drive to and from work took 1 hour. The cycle takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes. I feel much fitter, I have lost a little bit of weight and I no longer need to go for petrol. I wish I had done it years ago. I am actually thinking of getting a non electric bike now to go with it and alternate between the two.

For those interested in Strava Stats, here are mine since getting the bike:

Rides: 64
Time: 79h 7m
Distance: 1015 mikes
Elevation: 70, 397ft

I could and never would have done that without the electric assist. If you are considering getting one, I would definitely recommend it!

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Hi Lolipop

Thanks for your update! Have you measured your chain for stretch? My chain started to come off at about 1250 miles, checked the chain and it was well over the .5 level (but within the.75). I have changed my chain and my problems are solved...