1000 miles done on Crossfuse E

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Loilpop - I had a similar problem with the gears and some experts worked for about 4 hours on it - changed inner and outer cables twice. Tried routing not through the frame. Checked frame alignment with their special tool. In the end they swapped the shmano deraillieur for a cheap Taiwanese thing and it's been fine since (the Shimano was fine for 1400 miles, so no one could explain it).
Mike

Wendy S

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2017
Cardiff
I have just done 2000 in my 1 year old Crossfuse. I too have changed my saddle for a Bikeroo Ladies Saddle. I had a couple of punctures so I got slime installed and now j hardly ever have to pump tyres. I have a handlebar bag for phone and keys and bag on my pannier for toolkit, spare inner tubes and lock. Couple of bungees attached to the back in case I need to remove jacket or carry anything else. I love my Crossfuse and have had lots of good comments from "regular" cyclists who don't even notice the battery until I tell them. On the day j need to replace my battery (when I wear it out) i will replace with a 500w as it comes with a 400w as standard. I am going to Belgium next month so will be enjoying their flat roads.

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Hi Lolipop

Thanks for your update! Have you measured your chain for stretch? My chain started to come off at about 1250 miles, checked the chain and it was well over the .5 level (but within the.75). I have changed my chain and my problems are solved...

I check my chain every month and it hasn't hit the .5 yet and I'm now at 1800 miles. Still ALL cycle parts are the same including the tyres! The rear Tyre and the brake pads will need replacing in the next 200/300 miles i think! We don't have any really big hills where I live, I think this is why the chain is doing so well!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So I hit my 1000th mile today on my Crossfuse and thought I'd give everyone an update on how the bike has held up. In short pretty much perfect. All the cycle parts are the same and I've not needed to replace anything yet.

I'm still getting around 70 miles per charge in tour mode and around 35 in turbo mode so the battery is still holding up well. I am charging the battery when it hits the 2nd to last bar as that was the advice given to me when I got the bike.

My rear tyre looks like it will need replacing in the next 500 miles and the chain has barely stretched at all. Gears all work perfect after I adjusted them self. The brake pads still have loads of life in them and won't need replacing any time soon. The only things that will need replacing is the wheel rims as I have over loaded my bike too many times and I'm a large rider weighing in at 102kg. I've been known to load the bike up with a good 40kg wroth of shopping on the rack and on my back which was a mistake.

The bike has had 0 cut out but did random give me an error code after a long ride on a very hot day so I guessed this was a over heating code as I reset the system and it went away. It hasn't come back since.

So all in all the bike has been perfect. I run slime in my tubes so I've not been stuck by the side of the road :)

I'm a driver and a motorcyclist, but my Crossfuse has replaced both my motorcycle and car for 90% of my trips now! Buying an E-bike is one of the best things I've ever done! I've not lost any weight but I'm much fitter now and I'm still looking for reasons to use it.

I love the fact that I can cycle to meetings and still be in a fit state to be in the meeting. I've got two really good D locks and an alarm under the seat so I feel a little better leaving a the bike racks!

Other cyclists can be dicks to me though, mainly hardcore cyclists look down on you and call you cheater. It used to make me really made but I tell them to **** off now as this has happened maybe 5/6 times to me now.

All in all the Crossfuse is great bike and has been perfect for me! I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10. The only reason I don't give it a 10 out of 10 is because they ship the bike with the slow charger. I wish they shipped it with the fast charger as it can feel like an age when waiting for it to charge if you're in a rush.
The chain slipping is a simple adjustment, to be found on YouTube.
Here are several, pick the one you like!

Regards
Andy

Reactions: lolipop808

PeterMaslin

Aug 29, 2019
thanks for the review , i have one myself have done about 2000+ this year on it , i am generally seeing a lot of wear and tear on gears/chain/casset etc.

i clean and re-lube everything weekly but it just seems to wear out a lot , i have de-restricted it and it seems this is the contributing factor as everyone else seems to be having no issues with it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thanks for the review , i have one myself have done about 2000+ this year on it , i am generally seeing a lot of wear and tear on gears/chain/casset etc.

i clean and re-lube everything weekly but it just seems to wear out a lot , i have de-restricted it and it seems this is the contributing factor as everyone else seems to be having no issues with it.
Are you sure the cassette is worn. The teeth are all sorts of odd shapes, including sharks tooth, when new.

PeterMaslin

Aug 29, 2019
Are you sure the cassette is worn. The teeth are all sorts of odd shapes, including sharks tooth, when new.
well when i took it into the shop i got it from for maintenance that is what they said so i got it replaced , its a cheap bit to replace , but i do seem to wear them out.

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018

hey man, I'm just hitting my 2000 mark now. My gears still look really good. Just hit my .50 mark on my chain and so replace that in the next 500 miles but the biggest sign of wear is on my chain ring. I think im about 2/3 into the life cycle of that so I'll change both my chain ring and chain at 2500 miles!

My bike is completely standard!

I had to change my brake pads at 1200 miles and the replacements look like they have a about half the pad left.

So yeah, I've found the cycle parts to be a lot shorter than a standard bicycle.

I am going to do a re- review when I hit the year mark on my bike! There are a lot of trade offs you get with an ebike which I wasn't fully aware of before getting my bike!

I love my Crossfuse, it has been perfect! Never let me down once! Just wish there were better service parts to buy with longer life in them!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Money for old rope taking a bike in for maintenance.

PeterMaslin

Aug 29, 2019
hey man, I'm just hitting my 2000 mark now. My gears still look really good. Just hit my .50 mark on my chain and so replace that in the next 500 miles but the biggest sign of wear is on my chain ring. I think im about 2/3 into the life cycle of that so I'll change both my chain ring and chain at 2500 miles!

My bike is completely standard!

I had to chain my brake pads at 1200 miles and the replacements look like they have a about half the pad left.

So yeah, I've found the cycle parts to be a lot shorter than a standard bicycle.

I am going to do a re- review when I hit the year mark on my bike! There are a lot of trade offs you get with an ebike which I wasn't fully aware of before getting my bike!

I love my Crossfuse, it has been perfect! Never let me down once! Just wish there were better service parts to buy with longer life in them!
fair enough that explains it then really , having desrestricted mine it obviously puts a lot more pressure on the gears/chain etc, the parts just werent designed for the extra power etc.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i sold a 11spd sram cassette that came with my bike in 2014 last year for about 60 quid as had plenty of wear left but changed to 12spd so was not needed anymore.

DSC_0096.JPG

my bike has a dongle so 4 years worth of usage and it was still fine as never had any come back from the person that bought it.

i do clean and lube after every bike ride tho ;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
well when i took it into the shop i got it from for maintenance that is what they said so i got it replaced , its a cheap bit to replace , but i do seem to wear them out.
I wouldn't take it there again. I guess if you'd asked to see the wear, they would have pointed out the irregular shaped teeth. I would expect a chain to last about 4,000 miles on a bike like that, and the cassette double that.

PeterMaslin

Aug 29, 2019
well i got the bike from halfords , and have been taking it back there for servicing etc ,

i clean the chain and cassette etc about once a week , and i do 100ish miles a week , i wonder if i should be doing it more.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well i got the bike from halfords , and have been taking it back there for servicing etc ,

i clean the chain and cassette etc about once a week , and i do 100ish miles a week , i wonder if i should be doing it more.
doing that sort of mileage a week you will need to keep the drive chain as clean as possible otherwise any crap just turns in to grinding paste and the faster you go the worse wear you will get depending on conditions.

and find a decent lbs dont take it to hafords there worse than useless.

PeterMaslin

Aug 29, 2019
fair enough , so more than once a week cleaning then ? ill keep that in mind to prevent extra wear and tear, i have other bike shops around i just figured as i bought it from halfords they would know how to maintain it better.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Halfords certainly know how to maintain your bike at your cost.
A colleague at work asked me to look at his little lads bike as Halfrauds wanted over £100 + parts to service his bike, I duely serviced/ adjusted it in about 1 3/4 hrs with no new parts needed except a smearing of grease on the various bearings.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
watch all of these vids and all you will need is tools ;)

PeterMaslin

Aug 29, 2019
well i do the basics , cleaning of chains/gears etc , and break pads etc , but prefer to get a professional to do the rest as i dont have the time/skill to do it etc.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
has anyone with a Crossfuse developed a creaking noise from the handlebar area (not sure exactly what is making it)? And is it easily fixed. Bike has done 1800 miles (chain wore out to .75 at 400 by the way)
edit: 1400 miles not 400

Mike

Last edited:

PeterMaslin

Aug 29, 2019
yes i have that , i think in mine its the pedals though cant seem to find anything loose , but it is annoying.