1000w ebike ???

Mar 9, 2016
Interestingly Cyclo Tricity make all customers sign quite a detailed contract/ agreement before disclosing derestriction codes.

Part of agreement...
wp_ss_20160429_0001.png

Some posters might be interested in part 3.6...???

I,d like to know Cyclo Tricity,s idea of off road ????

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Asking difficult questions about suppliers who sponsor the forum won't improve your popularity.

Before Cyclotricity started selling that kit, they asked questions on the forum about the legality of the kits. If you do a search for the thread, you'll find answers to your questions.

Mar 9, 2016
I guess that means you support this type of behaviour then ???
Could not care less about my popularity on here, the long term use of pedelecs on roads and in countryside is far more important.

And yes it seems the kits are legal to sell but the lengths Cyclo City have gone to to distance themselves from using them derestricted suggests their use on roads certainly is not..and if not , exactly where are they used ???

Sponsoring Forum justifies it ???

Your post explains a great deal d8 !!

Last edited:

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
The stealth is an interesting idea - having ridden one (though not to be fair the latest version) it was cheap and cheerful

Good thing or a bad thing? Its a product designed to appeal to a market, rather than something to single out for an ethical judgement imho - shedloads of way higher powered bikes available, and others eg xipi have been on the derestrict with a key game for way longer than cyclotricity have.

For me, there have always been folks meeting the needs of most markets if a 1000w ebike was involved in a fataloty it might get looked into but probably not - not worth the risk imho for what you gain from higher power, but i do think the risks are relatively small and cyclotricitys aggregatable part of those risks is pretty minute tbh

Reactions: RobF

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
This really is picking over old bones.
Flud .....if you do a background search on this forum you will find a widely varying attitude to illegal e-bikes.
Many of us have gone through a moral loop,but Trading Standards and Vosa don't seem interested. The attitude is that there is nothing illegal in selling an illegal e-bike ,the illegality is using it.
One of the most high profile e-bike sellers in the UK openly sells S-class bikes in the UK (28 mph x 350 watt power),has done for many years nothing happens about it.
Off road boost buttons are specifically refered to in the regs and outlawed,any switch or mechanism to boost the power or speed off road is illegal.
If you are outraged that all these illegal bikes are openly sold in the UK,why not write to Trading Standards and/or Vosa,perhaps you will have more chance of stopping their sale than the rest of us.
Good luck.
KudosDave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go on the german forum and open a dongle thread or how to remove spd settings ;)

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I guess that means you support this type of behaviour then ???
Could not care less about my popularity on here, the long term use of pedelecs on roads and in countryside is far more important.

And yes it seems the kits are legal to sell but the lengths Cyclo City have gone to to distance themselves from using them derestricted suggests their use on roads certainly is not..and if not , exactly where are they used ???

Sponsoring Forum justifies it ???

Your post explains a great deal d8 !!
I,m not commenting either way, just interested what everybody else thinks ???
You said that you weren't going to comment, either way! You big fibber Flud. :D

Anyway, I think that it's a great forward thinking move. Out of interest, which musket are you using for hunting nowadays? :p

They've identified that there's a market out there for these bikes and are covering themselves legally in such sales. Hence the ambiguous frequent use of the term 'street legal'.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

few frame mods and should get it on there ;) will blow that dyno up tho:eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and 1 10kw battery back pack ;)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
My legal guys looked at disclaimers but you can get a customer to sign all the bits of paper in the world but if you as a seller watch a customer testing these illegal bikes you are complicit in the illegality.
It would be unusual for a customer to buy a bike unseen and untested so it would be a difficult sale.
If you buy or sell illegal e-bikes you just risk getting implicated in any action that would result after injury ,to either the rider or another.
It is only a matter of time before such an event happens,just cannot see it's worth all the commercial risk for such a small profit,some companies are more desperate for the business than others.
KudosDave

Mar 9, 2016
My legal guys looked at disclaimers but you can get a customer to sign all the bits of paper in the world but if you as a seller watch a customer testing these illegal bikes you are complicit in the illegality.
It would be unusual for a customer to buy a bike unseen and untested so it would be a difficult sale.
If you buy or sell illegal e-bikes you just risk getting implicated in any action that would result after injury ,to either the rider or another.
It is only a matter of time before such an event happens,just cannot see it's worth all the commercial risk for such a small profit,some companies are more desperate for the business than others.
KudosDave
And when it does happen Dave you don't think it will have repercussions on your business ?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
By not selling illegal kit, or kit that can easily be made illegal Dave has a defence. If the law changes because someone else F's about then it is tough on a responsible seller. Not very fair. If Daves competition is bankrupted then Dave can look sad and smug as a remaining legal dealer.
How else could it affect him?

Mar 9, 2016
For a start pedelecs could easily be banned from country parks etc.. That would have dire consequences on e mtb sales.

The position of freedom we enjoy both on road and off it should be protected at all costs.That starts on here. ( not for a moment suggesting Dave above is doing otherwise)

D

Deleted member 4366

It's nothing to get excited about. Many manufacturers are selling bikes with motors rated above 250w, but restricted to 25 km/h and labelled as 250w. That includes every Bosch motored bike and probably all similar ones, which includes your own, Flud. Probably best to keep quiet about it or we'll all be back om those underpowered bikes that we had ten years ago.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Everyday, as I ebike on my way to and from work, I meet an idiot on a derestricted ebike. Everytime I see him I yell "Illegal bike!". He is just zooming along the foot paths at 20 to 30 mph, no pedaling, not a care in the world. He has gotten so brave (insert stupid if you like) that he is now taking his place on a section of dual carrigeway with the traffic. I have seen him at speeds that must be approaching 40mph.

Hopefully nature will take its course and he will be caught. Perhaps he will find out his brakes were never meant for that kind of use and he will no longer be a treat to other road and footpath users. Hopefully he will not take some poor innocent with him. I see a potential Darwin Award winner here.

Further to this, if he does take a pedestrian out on a footpath, it will not bode well for all legal ebike users and sellers. I wonder if he got it from Cyclotricity? He is always going to fast to see. Point is, if the ability to break the law is given to you with instructions.....................

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Everyday, as I ebike on my way to and from work, I meet an idiot on a derestricted ebike. Everytime I see him I yell "Illegal bike!". He is just zooming along the foot paths at 20 to 30 mph, no pedaling, not a care in the world. He has gotten so brave (insert stupid if you like) that he is now taking his place on a section of dual carrigeway with the traffic. I have seen him at speeds that must be approaching 40mph.

Hopefully nature will take its course and he will be caught. Perhaps he will find out his brakes were never meant for that kind of use and he will no longer be a treat to other road and footpath users. Hopefully he will not take some poor innocent with him. I see a potential Darwin Award winner here.

Further to this, if he does take a pedestrian out on a footpath, it will not bode well for all legal ebike users and sellers. I wonder if he got it from Cyclotricity? He is always going to fast to see. Point is, if the ability to break the law is given to you with instructions.....................
Or maybe it will never happen and we'll all live happily ever after. Just like that guy does. :)

Reactions: morphix

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Or maybe it will never happen and we'll all live happily ever after. Just like that guy does. :)
Or maybe you or someone you know and love gets picked off by this law abiding :)rolleyes:) citizen. I really do not know why anyone would even remotely defend this persons actions. We are taking footpaths here. You know, dog walkers, moms with kids, people staring at their phones with earbuds in (that's another thread) ect.